Home today from French Quarter so disappointed!

eddie4545

I just returned home today from a 7 night stay in the Port Orleans French Quarter (1st night in Port Orleans Riverside) and I am so bothered by my experience. First let me say I have been to Disney 7 times since 2000 and have only stayed 1 time onsite which was last year in a 2 bedroom at OKW. I have always been intrigued by staying onsite but always had a difficult time spending so much money when you can get such beautiful accommodations elsewhere for so much less. I always rent a car so the Disney transportation was not critical to me. All that being said my family and I decided to spend a week at the French Quarter. I have been told this is one of the nicest moderate resorts. Based on what I have seen this will be my last time ever on Disney property. For the amount of money a moderate resort costs (175 - 199 per night for my stay) it needs to be much more current. From the old look of the rooms, lack of ac controls, (still like an older motel with just a window unit with no wall mounted digital thermostat), and just the general upkeep of the room. I was in building 1, room 1207 and the location was fine. Everything is a short walk and the grounds are very pretty. Once again though if I were to be picky there are cigarette butts all over the ground. I feel they put a lot of care and maintenance into the landscaping and walkways but miss the little things like cleaning up old cigarettes. Considering you can get an offsite hotel for a similar price that has a much more modern feel that also has the beautiful grounds a Disney hotel can offer I will choose to do this next time. I am not kicking Disney for their parks, grounds, cast members, or transportation. They have gotten that down to a science, but take a page from Marriott or Hyatt's book and get current with the rooms and make it feel like a "Resort" room and not a 1980's motel room. I am sure some of you may disagree and tell me I am missing the "theme" that French Quarter is trying to achieve but I do feel you can still offer a "theme" and the luxuries of a more modern room.

WildcatDen

Disney Boards are kinda like a pair of new underwear. At first they are kind of stiff, but then they become part of you. . .

To the OP - Thanks for posting. Good to know both the good and the bad.

If we are all going to be honest here, Posters have been flamed in the past for a post on the Caribbean Beach Resort. The original post on that was just questioning the resort. There were more responses praising POR and bashing CBR than I care to remember. Then, you post, sticking up for CBR and how nice your experience was and the responses treat you like a red headed step child.

Goonga Gu Lunga

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll chime in and point out that post counts or Premium Memberships have little or no bearing on the validity I give to a poster.

*looks at post count :eek:*

The reality is, I have never experienced what the OP experienced at any WDW resort. My only thought is that I lost sympathy when it was clear that no effort was made to request rectification of any of the issues that could be readily rectified. A dirty room can be cleaned or the client can be moved relatively quickly. Curved shower rods and A/C controls can't be, but honestly I don't see either as major issues.

I'll be staying at POFQ in August and honestly that's the only reason I read through this thread. I was looking to see if there were any legitimate reasons brought forward for me to consider changing resorts. IMO there haven't been and I'm still looking forward to staying there. If there are cleanliness issues when I check in they will be addressed immediately and will at most be a minor footnote in my trip report.

Upvote 0

princessjojo

As far as what you describe as fiflth that could have been easily corrected with a call to housekeeping. And even at some of the Marriotts and Omni hotels I've stayed at, I've still had the velour blankets. We stayed at POR in 2006 and our experience left nothing to complain about other than not being able to find the room safe. Maybe you should try another resort. You say that for the price you pay you expected more, but you could pay the same thing for a nice hotel off site. But the off site location doesn't give you the privalege of EMH, DDP, DME, or transportation around the property and to other onsite locations. There is a give and take that is to be expected as well.

Good luck finding something that you feel is more accepting to you and your family's needs.

Upvote 0

lilphil6487

thats really ashame that your trip ended up that way. i stayed at port orleans riverside years ago when it was still Dixie Landings, and it was very nice, but then it was years ago so im sure it needs work now. But in a moderate resort, the rooms are made to be that way because it is just a step up from value. I personally have no problem with the motelish feel because the fact is it is not a motel. I have stayed at the Pop Century which has the same kind of rooms, and loved it. The only place ive had a problem with was the Caribbean Beach. I went in 2001 and it def needed some work. I remember the plants being so overgrown we couldnt see outside our window. Other than that i love Caribbean Beach. It was my 1st on-site hotel. If you truly dont like that kind then if your finances allow, try a deluxe resort like others have said. I love the Wilderness Lodge. It is definately worth it. SOme people just use their hotels as a place to sleep but with Disney hotels, they add to the experience. I would def not pass up a fishing excursion or renting those little speed boats when staying at a disney hotel. Also, you can watch the electrical water pageant if you are staying in the magic kingdom area. If you want more than a motel type experience, deluxe hotels is the way to go. Definately dont decide to stay off-site just because of one bad experience, which honestly to me didnt sound that bad.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom