Home On The Range

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Ooh, I perfered Home on the Range over Brother Bear any time. And Grizz and Pat, I think the reason why not many people were there was because the main audience ( kids ) probably are at home at that time, eating supper, taking a nap, or going to bed early. I really think this movie is a hit.

I never said our theater wasn't full...Almost every seat was gone.

Pat X

I liked brother bear more, I just prefer the realistic, grander style of animation in the movie, but I really enjoyed this film. I think I let the small crowd bother me too much...don't ask why... :)

I agree the strongest scenes in the movie were when all the animals had numbers around their necks and the Bonnie Rait song as good too. I love the soundtrack.

At around 3pm today, Friday's estimates come in and that may give us an idea of how this movie will do.

I'll be seeing it again on Sunday

:sohappy:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Comingsoon.net now has Friday's box office totals.

#1-Hellboy, $8.97 million
#2-Walking Tall, $5.3 million
#3-Home on the Range, $4 million
#4-Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, $3.7 million
#5-The Prince and Me, $3.5 million

ISTCrew20

I liked Brother Bear more than Home on the Range. Brother Bear was a great, thought out movie. Some of the scenes looked more real than hand drawn. Home on the Range was the complete oppisite, and that's what makes it unique and great in its own right. They are both tops, just on different scales...(if that made any sense at all)

Wilt Dasney

Originally posted by Tahu
:lookaroun Call it a crackpot prediction, but I think Home on the Range will become the highest grossing film in India.

:lol:

By the way, does anyone really believe we'll never see another 2-D animated film from Disney? I don't. I think that Eisner is trying to hype up the CGI films by saying this, and even if he means it at the moment, I think he'll see pretty quickly that it takes more than purty graphics to sell movie tickets. The idea that traditional animation is "outmoded" just sounds so silly to me; it's like saying vanilla ice cream is passe and everyone should only eat chocolate and strawberry from now on.

At any rate, I'll put this up there with all the promised attractions over the years that never got off the drawing board, in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category...or I guess when I don't see it, in this case.

Mr. Tom Morrow

We saw the movie last night at the 7:00 p.m. showing. The theater was almost sold out with as you might guess mostly families with large groups of young children. We found the movie to be surprisingly good overall, but by no means Disney’s best. Our biggest surprise was how engaging the story was, we found ourselves feeling sad, smiling and evening laughing out loud during the movie. The characters as well as the music fit the story very well sadly they aren’t the type of memorable characters or music that will be cherished outside of the movie. The biggest problem with the movie was the actual animation, the look and feel of it. It was almost like we had gone back in time and were watching a Disney movie from the ‘60’s, 70’s or early 80’s, it had more of a Television Animation feel to it. During parts of the film some of the characters didn’t move smoothly as if there were frames missing. It was like they settled for good enough instead of striving for a Disney level of animation. We also found the shape of the cows compared to the rest of the characters (Buck and Alameda were very well done) to be off putting. We would place Home on the Range as vastly better than Atlantis and The Black Cauldron but just below Brother Bear and The Emperor’s New Groove, about right on line with The Rescuers and Robin Hood. Did anyone else think that the rabbit sounded a lot like the announcer on Big Thunder Mountain? We were kind of expecting him to say “this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness” while riding the mine car. Oh and when the Hen (voice of Mrs. Costanza from Seinfeld) was all in a panic I was half expecting the goat to say “serenity now, serenity now”! In the end we knew it was an enjoyable move, how? Well pretty much all of the kids in our theater were clapping and cheering as the end credits began to roll! And isn’t that really all that matters?

Pat X

Originally posted by Mr. Tom Morrow
Did anyone else think that the rabbit sounded a lot like the announcer on Big Thunder Mountain? We were kind of expecting him to say “this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness” while riding the mine car.

Actually, that would have been a great in-joke! They should've done that!

Since most kids were in school yesterday, I think HOTR should get a good bump today and Sunday. I am hoping it can pull in at least 17 million and since there aren't any other kids films opening for awhile, perhaps HOTR can have some good legs.

At least it beat Scooby DOO!!!

Goofster

Can somebody who's seen the movie give us a detailed review of the film's music, that's what I'm really interested in.

I.E. how many songs are actually sung by characters? what songs aren't sung by characters? what are the musical sequences like? Anything like that would be awesome!

Thanks!

General Grizz

There is only ONE song sung by a characterv - The Yodeling Song.

Here is a review of the soundtrack:

By Richard, from MagicMusic.net:

First, the songs. Man, there ain't a dud in the bunch. We've got a wonderful theme/narration song, a great "happy times" song, the best "sad" song in Disney history, a great (and *weird*) villain song, a snappy closing credit pop number and another song that I'd probably like better if it weren't overshadowed by the others.

"You Ain't Home on the Range" is pure fun, simultaneously poking fun at westerns and celebrating their energy and sense of adventure. It serves as a terrific overall theme for the film and gets even funnier in the reprise.

"Little Patch of Heaven" is gonna make Disney fans grin, sounding very reminiscent of "What a Happy Day" from Fun & Fancy Free. Light, joyful, and very effective in the finale. Contains one of my all time favorite lyrics as it sings of a place where...

Even the 'skeeters and the fleas
Say "May I" "Thanks" and "Please"

If you're a big-time Disney animation fan, this song is going to tear you to pieces emotionally in the finale...I'll explain why toward the end of this review.

Now for a song that there'll be no middle ground on: You're either going to love or hate "Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Ooo." Guess which camp I'm in. This is just so freaking wonderfully weird. Apparently actor Randy Quaid sang the first syllable of every yodel, but had a "stunt yodeler" take over for the bulk of the vocal gymnastics. During the bridge, we get a great surreal yodeling medley of "William Tell Overture" "Yankee Doodle" and "Ode to Joy." The non-yodeling lyrics are, again, hilarious and weird -- and just slightly disturbing (*four* references to the size of the villain's butt?!?)

Until now, I'd list the best "sad" Disney songs as "God Help the Outcasts," "Feed the Birds," "Endless Night" and "If She Can't Love Me." There's a new "best" sad song, and it's "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again." Wow, does this push all the right buttons. Bonnie Raitt doesn't overdo it vocally, she elegantly lets the song speak for itself. Music and lyrics combine to evoke a touching, poignant portrayal of someone in the depths of complete despair. Its beauty keeps it from being depressing and its simpleness keeps it from being corny. Like "Feed the Birds," it's about as perfect and beautiful as a song can get. If good songs were Uranium, this thing would power China.

Good thing the "You Ain't Home on the Range" reprise steps in to give you a chance to dry your eyes.

"Wherever the Trail May Lead" is a fine song with a beautiful melody and a catchy chorus. (And, okay, *this* one's a country song). There's nothing wrong with it, it just loses a bit of effectiveness coming so soon after one of the greatest songs ever written, and it pretty much offers the same message found in the final song...

"Anytime You Need a Friend." My only nitpick about this soundtrack is that this and the preceding song express the exact same sentiments. This is an excellent, upbeat closing credit number, one that won't make me try to claw my ears off.

Oh, there's also a hilarious seven-second-long "Saloon Song" in which some overaged dance hall girls sing in gravelly voices:

"Swivel Your Hips
Give 'em a Grind
Shimmy and shake
and leave your troubles behi - (SHRIEKS and SCREAMS)

We also get Alan Menken's solo rendition of "Anytime You Need a Friend." It's excellent and adds a nice personal touch to both the CD and Menken's career at Disney.

THE INSTRUMENTAL SCORE

Menken's brilliant, and this score plays smooth as silk. It's amiable, emotional, and paints huge landscapes of adventure and wonder in your head. It evokes classic western movie scores along with the likes of "City Slickers," but has its own unique "Disney" flavor, with the song melodies woven effectively throughout.

Lots of unexpected, brilliant touches. The villain's ghostly yodel echoing across the plains, heralding disaster...The classic folk song "Home on the Range" played by a lone trumpet (a wild west "Taps")...banjos and tubas moving playfully in and out of the landscape. Great, great stuff.

I'm anxious to see the movie now because I can't wait to see how the film's jokey comedy is balanced by the deep, heartfelt emotions of this score which turn even the funny songs' tunes into epic adventure music.

Some movie scores don't provide a completely enjoyable CD listen, but this one stands on its own two feet. It's pure, non-stop fun.

THE FINALE

I mentioned earlier how the finale is going to emotionally tear apart Disney animation fans. Here's why:

Keeping in mind that this is the *last* classic animated film from Disney, here are the final lyrics as the movie ends and we leave that last Disney fantasy landscape....

Darling I Swear
Once You've Been There
There ain't a view beneath the blue
That could ever compare...

Why don't you come visit
There's room in the nest
On that little patch of heaven
Way out west

As someone whose life has been happily enriched and energized by the talents of Disney's artists over many years, I find it hard to believe that it's over (at least for now.) The magic of the films will last forever, and I'll always keep that joy inside me (you all know what it's like if your reading this. It's powerful stuff!) Disney magic is nothing more nor less than the pure joy and wonder of a well-told tale. It's not unique to Disney, but Disney produced it more consistently and with more talent and imagination than any other single studio in history. And having all the characters, music and worlds under one "roof" created something greater than the sum of its wonderful parts. There's nothing wrong with computer animation, but it's NOT THE SAME animal.

We'll see what happens next. Maybe someone with a brain will bring theatrical hand-drawn animation back to Disney someday. But, if this is indeed the last classic-style animated film, at least they're going out on a sweet note.

I was particularly pleased with the instrumental music (particualrly in the first half) which were very 1964 Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln BGM. Nice touch of nostalgia there.

I love the soundtrack. As for the CREDITS: The out-of-place song, in modern style ("Anytime You Need a Friend"), is AFTER the Tim McGraw song, which is AFTER an instrumental fitting-in tune. That worked out great - I was able to leave "in spirit" - which I wasn't able to do in Haunted Mansion, for example.

There's one part in the soundtrack where the music changes to Rock and Roll where Maggie comes in and meets the barn animals for the first time, but other than that, I love the instrumentals.

And the opening song is sung by an unseen CHORUS, and later has a reprise. That was nice.

By far my favorite song was the second song, "Patch of Heaven." Great Disney.

I wish it were more Beauty and the Beast though as far as the sounds go - - could have used a good "Broadway" score.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Just returned from seeing it. My thoughts? VERY good. I actually enjoyed it alot. The music was great, there were some good laughs, and I actually liked the style of animation. Alameda Slym is now a new Disney villain, and a darn good one too. One thing I thought about it though was that it was too short and seemed to be rushed. Other than that, it was a perfect film. I think I liked it just a bit better than Brother Bear actually! It definitely beat my expectations! :D

As for the theater....I went to a 7:15 showing at the local Muvico. The theater it was played in was big (had a capacity of 466 people), but in the end only about 45-55 seats were filled. There were a TON of kids, in fact, I was the only person (I saw it alone actually) in the theater without a child! :lol:

Favorite quotes.....

"Yeah, they're real. Quit staring!" :lol:
"It's more like stallion of the ci-MORON! :lol: (nice knock-off joke of the movie Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron)

And of course, there were many more.

Too bad this was the 44th and (maybe) final movie made by Feature Animation....I was so sad when the movie ended.....:cry:

FigmentJedi

Excellent film with excellent music. The theater was packed when I went and was full of kids. It almost made me think a little of the early 90's films. I had excellent music by Alan Menken, a great villian, and wonderful characters. And from a personal viewpoint, it had explosions and things flying through the air.

ImagineerFan04

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
Just returned from seeing it. My thoughts? VERY good. I actually enjoyed it alot. The music was great, there were some good laughs, and I actually liked the style of animation. Alameda Slym is now a new Disney villain, and a darn good one too. One thing I thought about it though was that it was too short and seemed to be rushed. Other than that, it was a perfect film. I think I liked it just a bit better than Brother Bear actually! It definitely beat my expectations! :D

As for the theater....I went to a 7:15 showing at the local Muvico. The theater it was played in was big (had a capacity of 466 people), but in the end only about 45-55 seats were filled. There were a TON of kids, in fact, I was the only person (I saw it alone actually) in the theater without a child! :lol:

Favorite quotes.....

"Yeah, they're real. Quit staring!" :lol:
"It's more like stallion of the ci-MORON! :lol: (nice knock-off joke of the movie Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron)

And of course, there were many more.

Too bad this was the 44th and (maybe) final movie made by Feature Animation....I was so sad when the movie ended.....:cry:

Aren't muvicos like the coolest theaters. I went to one when i was visting my cousins in west palm beach over febuary vacation to bad they don't have any in CT near where i live.

glad to her the movie was good

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by wdwmaniac
Box Office mojo says HotR: opened 3rd on Friday with 4 Million opening.

Quite a flop IMO. Brother Bear was much more succesful on it's first weekend!

Side note: Animation is gone for good!!! Only cheap sequels! :cry: :cry: :cry:

wdwmaniac

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Quite a flop IMO. Brother Bear was much more succesful on it's first weekend!

Side note: Animation is gone for good!!! Only cheap sequels! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think Brother only opend with 18 Million during the Thankgiving season a big time for movies
While Home on the Range opened when there are less people apt. to go to the movies because they wait till May. SO I think B.O. Mojo siad that MotR should hit 15 Million thats not bad. It's the second and thrid weekends that will make or break this movie.

Lastly, we already knew Animation in 2-D form was going to die for awhile but I does look promising entry into 3-d With Chicken Little.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Originally posted by ImagineerFan04
Aren't muvicos like the coolest theaters. I went to one when i was visting my cousins in west palm beach over febuary vacation to bad they don't have any in CT near where i live.

glad to her the movie was good

They sure are good! In fact, it's the only movie theater I go to here in West Palm! :D

By the way, Brother Bear opened with $19 million. Home on the Range is also opening in 3,047 theaters, and Brother Bear opened with 3,030. The only movie Brother Bear had competition with opening weekend was Scary Movie 3, unlike HOTR, which has Hellboy, Walking Tall, and Scooby-Doo 2 to worry about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom