Home On The Range

Kwit35

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
Around The World In 80 Days is infact a Disney film. Its cast lineup includes Jackie Chan, Kathy Bates, John Cleese, Johnny Knoxville, Rob Schneider, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Luke Wilson, and Owen Wilson. Sounds like a good movie!:D
Saw the trialer for Around the World in 80 Days when we saw HOTR. It looks really good. Starting to look forward to that one.

My 3 year old liked HOTR. I enjoyed the music (needed more).

Pat X

Originally posted by General Grizz
I think Eisner is celebrating. He needed an excuse to kill 2-D.

Why would Eisner celebrate the failure of a movie that cost the company MILLIONS to make?

I wonder though why aren't these movies drawing people like they used to? In my opinion, Brother Bear was better than Finding Nemo. Nemo,'s storyline was so blah....something happens to Marlin and Dory, cut to Nemo..something happens to Nemo, cut back to Marlin and Dory who get into another problem, cut back to Nemo etc. Brother Bear was a lot more interesting.

People bring up the "its the story that counts" argument, well, I agree, but I think the story on Brother Bear was great, but the movie didn't come close to Nemo's numbers domestically.

You also can't say that DIsney didn't spend a lot of Money on promoting both movies, cause they certainly did. So why aren't Disney movies earning like they use to?

I am beginning to think people are just more into CGI nowadays.

What are your thoughts?

GenerationX

My wife, kids, and I liked Home on the Range. The story is interesting, the k.d. lang and Bonnie Raitt songs are excellent, and several of the voice actors are good, particularly Roseanne. The animation is better than TV animation, but several steps below Finding Nemo or even Brother Bear.

I was disappointed in the amount of humor in the movie. They had the voice talent, the setting, and the characters to make it much funnier. As it was, it was somewhat humorous. I give Home on the Range maybe three out of five stars.

As for the Brother Bear vs. Finding Nemo debate, BB has great animation, a compelling story, and some hilarious scenes with Rutt & Tuke. FN has phenomenal animation, a compelling story, and many many funny scenes. Personally, I didn't like BB's ending (which is similar to Splash's ending, which I didn't like either). I much prefer Finding Nemo.

Snapper Bean

Originally posted by Pat X

People bring up the "its the story that counts" argument, well, I agree, but I think the story on Brother Bear was great, but the movie didn't come close to Nemo's numbers domestically.

You also can't say that DIsney didn't spend a lot of Money on promoting both movies, cause they certainly did. So why aren't Disney movies earning like they use to?

What are your thoughts?

I don't think its the story....its the script. I saw both Brother Bear and HOTR. I thought HOTR had better music but that Brother Bear had better animation and a better script. The reason Pixar's stuff is popular is because the script is actually funny. I thought most of the jokes in HOTR flopped horribly. Animation is beside the point to me.

Snapper Bean

prberk

The Orlando Sentinel has a discouraging article about it, although I think everyone is speaking too early.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...apr06,1,3161980.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

That article says some analysts are considering it a potential write-down for Disney, but I think it is too early to tell; especially with two weeks of Easter Break happening, with kids out of school (although I do wish it had fared better in opening weekend).

This argument also seems to be countered by the rise in the DIS stock price over the last two days (which may be just as related to the market upturn and to sold-out crowds at Walt Disney World this week). Go to http://markets.orlandosentinel.com/...nyprofile.asp?symb=dis&siteid=orlandosentinel for the stock quote. It went up Monday and Tuesday steadily.

prberk

Personally, I think that the recent press about the Pixar relationship has drawn attention to Pixar and given Disney a bad "buzz" for any animated movie.

The same is true of the cheap sequels. They have made things worse.

When you see awesome animation and delightful story in what you now know is NOT a Disney production but a Pixar one; and then you see Disney's name on cheap TV animation on Toon Disney; and then you see that the best thing they can come up with lately is a cheap, poorly-reviewed sequel to Peter Pan; what would make you have faith that a slapstick cartoonish Western will be anything special and worth your money? That is the problem: the perception of Disney's animation decline overall WILL affect new films, no matter how good they are. Perception becomes reality at the box office.

That is why the cheap stuff hurts business in the long run, despite any short-term gain.... They are starting to pay for it, I am afraid.

It will take real dedication to the art form and story (like was done with Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid and Aladin) for a sustained period (as Pixar has done) to turn it around. And I do not think that the current management has expressed interest in long-term investment at the cost of some minor short-term gain.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Just an update:

Weekend box-office totals have Home on the Range falling to a sixth-place spot, making $8.2 million, for a total of $27.5 million so far. Just to compare Brother Bear and HotR, money-wise, Brother Bear made $18 million in its second weekend with a total of $44 million.

cherrynegra

Yeah, the percentage of drop off was really bad. Hopefully it will stick around in the top ten and make some money in the long run.

mickhyperion

I just saw the movie and didn't read any reviews beforehand. In fact, I haven't read a post in this thread so after posting I'm going back to see what others have to say.

I thought the movie was good, but not great. It is much better than Brother Bear and worlds better than Treasure Planet or Atlantis. Not as good as Lilo & Stitch though. I thought it had some great humor, though a little too modern-day-reference at times.

Likes: animation, voices, first yodeling scene with the technicolor cows, music, climax, story.

Dislikes: 3D pans and simulated crane shots, 3D elements, not enough heart to make you really care about any of the characters, burping, the musical segment during the flood scene brought the action to a halt.

mickhyperion

- - could have used a good "Broadway" score.

Oh, Grizz... Oh no, Grizz... :)

YUCK!! Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck YUCK!!

Can I say that one more time...

YUCK!!

Thank god it didn't! And no lame Phil Collins or Goo Goo Dolls either.

cherrynegra

Yeah, when you compare the later films to those that really helped Disney take off in the early '90s, quite a difference. I think they need to seriously return to that original format as well.

mickhyperion

By Broadway score, I meant reminsicent of Alan Menken's original work (i.e. BELLE in Beauty and the Beast or BE OUR GUEST). :)

I guess I just have an aversion to the classic "Annie" ("..the sun will come OUT TO-MOR-ROW!!") Broadway style. I know you're talking about the score here, but that's what pops in my head when I hear "Broadway." I love the movie musical style of the 30's thru the 60's, but spare me the modern Broadway stuff. Too bad nobody has revived that style with any success.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Well, there is some good news here. Box Office Report's weekend estimates have Home on the Range up at 4th place making $6.5 million for a total of $39.5 million. I actually think this is possible, seeing the recent surge in daily box office totals, as it's been number one every day for this week if i'm not mistaken.

theonlytigger

Haven't seen HOTR yet. I'll probably rent it when it comes out on video.

Originally posted by Pat X
Why would Eisner celebrate the failure of a movie that cost the company MILLIONS to make?

I wonder though why aren't these movies drawing people like they used to? In my opinion, Brother Bear was better than Finding Nemo. Nemo,'s storyline was so blah....something happens to Marlin and Dory, cut to Nemo..something happens to Nemo, cut back to Marlin and Dory who get into another problem, cut back to Nemo etc. Brother Bear was a lot more interesting.

What are your thoughts?

I personally didn't understand why Brother Bear didn't do better than it did either . Though I love Nemo, I think BB has a plot that is just as good.

One of the problems I think is that Disney is putting out way to many movies too close together, thus pushing all sorts of movies into consumer's faces, to the point where they say "Oh, another Disney flick." The release of a Disney movie ought to be a very special and exciting time, but with the way they're doing it now, its looses that. Not only that, but putting out Nemo, which became a big hit, and then putting out BB in the same year and expecting people to recieve it as well just isn't practical. People come out all starry-eyed over Nemo, and go in comparing it to BB. People need more time to digest what they see, so they can go into another movie with more open-mindedness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom