Home On The Range

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by Pat X
Why would Eisner celebrate the failure of a movie that cost the company MILLIONS to make?

I wonder though why aren't these movies drawing people like they used to? In my opinion, Brother Bear was better than Finding Nemo. Nemo,'s storyline was so blah....something happens to Marlin and Dory, cut to Nemo..something happens to Nemo, cut back to Marlin and Dory who get into another problem, cut back to Nemo etc. Brother Bear was a lot more interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Well I have to say I disagree. Notice a certain patern: Pixar releases a new film once a year, each time with a great story, funny characters and great CGI. Now look at Disney: One or two animation features per year, two sequels (theatre released) and more sequels straight to video. People learn to appriceate (sp?) Pixar's work because they don't see it so often. On the other hand you see Disney animation all over the place. People are sick of it. Disney shot themselves in the leg just for the sake of making a quick buck. If they were patient enough, maybe they would be able to create ONE huge success yearly instead of cheap marketing sequels! That's just my opinion.

*BTW, did you know that Walt ordered there would be no more than one feature animation per year? Interesting...

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Another "box office" update:

Comingsoon.net is reporting Kill Bill Volume 2 (saw it this morning, what a great movie) took the top spot on Friday, taking in $10.7 million. Home on the Range took 5th place, taking in $1.49 million, for $33.8 million as of now. Things maybe will start getting better, but I would doubt it. Kill Bill Volume 2 and The Punisher will take the one and two spots for the weekend, Johnson Family Vacation most likely third, and Hellboy fourth. Next week though, we may see some sort of improvement from HOTR.

wdwmaniac

Disney still isn't doing good at the B.O.

Kill Bill Vol 2. ia a bright light for Disney and Home of the Range seems to be holding out nicely, but it seems the ALAMO, Ladykillers, Jersey Girl, Ella Enchanted have all been flops.
But hopefully this summer brings some good news, but 2005 it looks pretty good. Chicken Little, Valiant, and CARS. Along CoN: Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. So if this year doesn't turn out, we know next year should be much better.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I think they can still have a good 2004. Kill Bill Volume 2 is going to make some good money. Earlier releases of this year, Miracle and Hidalgo, did well, but wouldn't be considered a box office success. There's still King Arthur (it's bound to make a lot of money), Around the World in Eighty Days (should do ok), The Princess Diaries 2 (will do well), The Incredibles (of course it'll make a ton of money), and Mr. 3000 (should do ok). But I must agree, 2005's lineup (Cars, The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, Chicken Little, and more) will do an excellent job.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Box Office Update:

Weekend totals are in, final figures will be out tomorrow. Kill Bill Volume 2 scored, taking first place with an impressive $26.5 million. Home on the Range moved up to 5th place, taking in $5.4 million for three-week total of $37.5 million so far. The Alamo made a depressing $4.1 million for a two-week total of $16.3 million and fell to 10th place.

I would suspect that HOTR will finish its run with about $50 million. Not good, but it's what most predictions were.

wdwmaniac

The alamo going to be worse than treasure. I don't think Dis will make anything nere the cost. This is sad since Disney just last year had a great year. (but we must remember that if Pirates and Nemo Didn't get such great numbers it would have been a so-so year for movies.)

cherrynegra

Yeah, The Alamo is even worse than they could have imagined. I don't think Disney is going to see a really big hit until the summer with either King Arthur or The Village. Your call about last year is spot on. If they hadn't had Nemo and Pirates, the outlook would not have seemed so rosy.

cindy_k

Originally posted by Snapper Bean
I don't think its the story....its the script. I saw both Brother Bear and HOTR. I thought HOTR had better music but that Brother Bear had better animation and a better script. The reason Pixar's stuff is popular is because the script is actually funny. I thought most of the jokes in HOTR flopped horribly. Animation is beside the point to me.

Snapper Bean

I agree. Its the script. I finally saw HOTR this past week while on a Disney Cruise. The overall plot was ok but the devil is in the details.

The Villian was villianous enough. He did nothing Directly Evil to the Patch of Heaven or what ever the farm was called. All he was going to do to Path of Heaven is buy it. The bank was the real "villian" there. Also you never had a reason for him wanting all that land. If you didn't know that he russled steers to make the other farms fail, then he is just a shrewed business man.

His side kicks were to dumb and didn't contribute much.

And there wasn't enough effort put into making you care about the hero's either.

Stop and Think about all the really good animated movies. There is always a character who really is pure mean. If there isn't a really mean character you don't have a reason to care what happens the heros or a reason to root for them winning.

Anywhoo that is my take on it. Disney needs better Script writers. I could have written a better script than that for this movie. And I am no author, just a Fiction fan.

Cindy in NY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom