Hollywood Studios New Name?

MissM

As much as I get why incorporating the word "Hollywood" makes sense, I can tell you it confuses the heck out of people. Right now, with it being Disney's Hollywood Studios I hear people ALL THE TIME who think it's either (a) Universal Studios or (B) in California. :banghead: So I think if they're getting rid of "Studios" they might also want to get rid of "Hollywood" somehow too. Seriously. People are in fact that dumb. (Maybe where things like Cinema are being tossed around instead?)

Disney's Movie Kingdom
Disney's Cinema Adventure
Disney's Florida Hollywood Cinema Adventure Kingdom

Bah. So many of these concepts are just awful.:p

The Empress Lilly

As much as I get why incorporating the word "Hollywood" makes sense, I can tell you it confuses the heck out of people. Right now, with it being Disney's Hollywood Studios I hear people ALL THE TIME who think it's either (a) Universal Studios or (B) in California. :banghead: So I think if they're getting rid of "Studios" they might also want to get rid of "Hollywood" somehow too. Seriously. People are in fact that dumb. (Maybe where things like Cinema are being tossed around instead?)

Disney's Movie Kingdom
Disney's Cinema Adventure
Disney's Florida Hollywood Cinema Adventure Kingdom

Bah. So many of these concepts are just awful.:p
And in Orlando they can't really use 'Adventure' in the name either. That would get mixed up with Islands of Adventure. People might mistake the Disney product for the Universal knock-off, that park consisting of a few unconnected lands based on whatever random IP they could get their hands on.

Wait...

Tom P.

"Magic Kingdom" and "Epcot" don't have "Disney's" because those names by themselves can be copyrighted. You can't copyright generic names like "Animal Kingdom" and the current "Hollywood Studios", hence putting "Disney's" in front of them.
If we're being technical, you can't copyright a name at all. The protection that applies to names is trademark protection, which is distinctly different from copyright.

Regardless, I'm not certain that's the reason. Disney most certainly could apply for trademark protection on names like Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, and they use "Disney's" in front of those as well.

Also, it's not true that you can't trademark common words. You can, but it only affords protection for those specific types of uses. For example, CBS has a trademark on the name "Enterprise" because of the starship from Star Trek. That doesn't mean that the US Navy can't name an aircraft carrier Enterprise or that we can't say "that business is a fine enterprise." But it does mean that CBS could sue if Disney tried to put a ship named Enterprise into the next Star Wars film.

Similarly, Disney could trademark "Animal Kingdom," but that would only stop someone from naming a theme park the same thing. It wouldn't give them rights to those words in general usage. But, then again, the same is true of Magic Kingdom. Only Epcot is a truly unique, original word that Disney has full control over.

MaryJaneP

Without reading all of the foregoing pages, since Hollywood seems to be an accurate prerequisite and Kingdom seems to be a TDO favorite (MK, AK), maybe Hollywood Kingdom seems to make sense to us. We would add IP in between these two words to 1. accurately reflect what is in the park and 2. to differentiate HIPK from HK.

wdwfan22

I have a feeling it's going to be awhile before they rename the park, especially since they just came out with a new line of merchandise with Hollywood Studios on it.
hollywood.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom