Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TP2000

Original Poster
So the WGA blinked first and asked for the meeting.

Interesting to know who blinked first, as the AMPTP said they would wait for the WGA to ask to return to negotiations.

With more talk shows breaking the picket lines and returning to the air, the WGA isn't in a position of strength.

TP2000

Original Poster
Several high profile talk shows announced in the last 36 hours that they would be breaking the picket lines by going back into production ASAP and back on the air again with new shows without using striking WGA writers.

Then earlier today, the WGA called the AMPTP and asked to return to the negotiating table next week. The AMPTP agreed to do so. That's where things currently stand.

Willmark

Both sides should be concerned that the vast majority of people doesn't seem to care.
I think for some folks here they don’t have a frame of reference at least one grounded in reality.

Take for instance when someone claimed a few months back: (paraphrasing) “The Academy Awards are the 2nd most watched TV broadcast!”

The reality is it was the 77th out of the Top 100.

NFL, College Football and College Basketball dominates then everything else. And that’s not taking into account the gulf between the NFL and college football. College football is immensely popular, the NFL is far beyond it.

It’s a perfect example of people at least some here give outweighed influence to the entertainment industry.

There is the NFL and then literally everything else. People throwing out billion dollar movies like Barbie n terms of its success? Maybe 1/6th the value of a single NFL team and there are 32 of them.

How does this relate to your post? As you correctly point out people don’t care. They are too busy watching football, both pro and college and will be doing so until early February.

People might not like that inconvenient fact, but live sports eclipses everything else. After that too much concern over everyday issues to likely give it much thought.

TP2000

Original Poster
I think for some folks here they don’t have a frame of reference at least one grounded in reality.

Take for instance when someone claimed a few months back: (paraphrasing) “The Academy Awards are the 2nd most watched TV broadcast!”

The reality is it was the 77th out of the Top 100.

That's an excellent example. I had forgotten that funny little chat we had about the Oscars.

How does this relate to your post? As you correctly point out people don’t care. They are too busy watching football, both pro and college and will be doing so until early February.

People might not like that inconvenient fact, but live sports eclipses everything else. After that too much concern over everyday issues to likely give it much thought.

There's a lot of inconvenient truths out there that show not many people care. And today there's a new one:

The United Auto Workers just went on strike this morning. By this afternoon President Biden had already delivered official remarks about it, and senior government leaders are already involved with both sides. Because having the Big Three automakers shut down is of grave importance to the US economy and society. Because auto makers and their employees are Essential.

But the Hollywood industries have been shut down for months now, and President Biden and senior members of his administration have not yet engaged on getting that fixed. Because talk shows and Netflix series are Non-Essential.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In a world where there’s a steady supply of sports, reality TV, and shows like The Office (and dreck like Suits) dominates viewership, I don’t think anyone’s going to miss the latest iterations of NCIS or Chicago Fire.
I take it to mean they are talking about movies and how after the end of the year there isn't much scheduled.

Theaters will go dark, and the threat of theaters closing will start popping up again. The public will start to care at that point.

Tha Realest

I take it to mean they are talking about movies and how after the end of the year there isn't much scheduled.

Theaters will go dark, and the threat of theaters closing will start popping up again. The public will start to care at that point.
It’s almost 2024. People continue to find alternative, or older, content sources than what’s at the movie theaters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s almost 2024. People continue to find alternative, or older, content sources than what’s at the movie theaters.
Well a few movies this year would disagree with you.

But I hope we don't have to see what happens if the theaters really go dark. I've long talked about how the traditional box office is dying, as seen by lower number of ticket sold year after year. I don't think anyone is really ready for that however, but I fear it might be closer than we think....

TsWade2

Well a few movies this year would disagree with you.

But I hope we don't have to see what happens if the theaters really go dark. I've long talked about how the traditional box office is dying, as seen by lower number of ticket sold year after year. I don't think anyone is really ready for that however, but I fear it might be closer than we think....
You make me sad.😢

BuddyThomas

You make me sad.😢
Don’t be sad. We have a few snarky cranks on here who get a kick out of the fact that the entertainment industry is having this issue. The loudest snarkers in the room generally do not see any new movies anyway, so they genuinely do not care. They are just trying to cause trouble, so I suggest blocking them,

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Original Poster
I always do. But one can’t help but look at the state of mass media and come to the same conclusion. Does the occasional blockbuster do well? Sure. But stuff like the latest Poirot film is making half or 1/3 of what it would’ve made in The Olden Times.

And here's a stark reminder that the Autoworkers strike against GM, Ford and Chrysler is far more important to American society and its economy than the double Hollywood strike: The White House has already sent a team of senior officials and Cabinet level leaders to Detroit to set up a command post to resolve the Autoworkers strike ASAP.

The White House has not done that for Hollywood, even though the Hollywood strikes are over four months old.

"A team that President Joe Biden dispatched to help resolve the strike between the United States’ largest autoworkers union and the Big Three auto companies plans to be in Detroit to support talks “early in the week,” an administration official told NBC News on Sunday."

To be fair, at least the LA Mayor said six weeks ago that she's "ready to personally engage" on ending the Hollywood strikes.

Although she said that in early August, it has yet to be seen when, and how, Mayor Bass will "engage".
But she's ready. To engage. Personally.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

And here's a stark reminder that the Autoworkers strike against GM, Ford and Chrysler is far more important to American society and its economy than the double Hollywood strike: The White House has already sent a team of senior officials and Cabinet level leaders to Detroit to set up a command post to resolve the Autoworkers strike ASAP.

The White House has not done that for Hollywood, even though the Hollywood strikes are over four months old.

"A team that President Joe Biden dispatched to help resolve the strike between the United States’ largest autoworkers union and the Big Three auto companies plans to be in Detroit to support talks “early in the week,” an administration official told NBC News on Sunday."

To be fair, at least the LA Mayor said six weeks ago that she's "ready to personally engage" on ending the Hollywood strikes.

Although she said that in early August, it has yet to be seen when, and how, Mayor Bass will "engage".
But she's ready. To engage. Personally.

Because a lot of the modern stuff they produce - evidenced by so many streamers just flushing the content off their servers - is dreck. I’ll go ahead and rewatch episodes of Batman: The Animated Series again over most of what’s been produced over the last decade in animation

BuddyThomas

I always do. But one can’t help but look at the state of mass media and come to the same conclusion. Does the occasional blockbuster do well? Sure. But stuff like the latest Poirot film is making half or 1/3 of what it would’ve made in The Olden Times.
I saw A Haunting in Venice today and it is fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom