News Holiday crowds at Walt Disney World theme parks 2022

Disstevefan1

In my opinion…you’re wrong

They had an estimated 44,000,000 gate ticks in 2000…the last effective year of Iger expansion

They have 55-60,000,000 now with almost the same seats for butts…because savior Bob never really added…just replaced with limited exceptions.

It’s just numbers…don’t blame the app

Plus doesn’t work…genie doesn’t really either. They’ve been trying to invent the square wheel in Orlando for 20 years
It would be interesting to compare 2019 to today. It’s a better comparison in my opinion.

Can we agree FastPass plus worked “better” then Genie+ ?

I don’t remember standby being this bad in 2019.

rct247

While I'm sure it was busy today, attraction capacity is where the issue is. Today Rise of Risistance was at a reduced capacity due to maintenance issues. Lightning McQueen wasn't open all day. Tower of Terror is still only operating one side. Also compared last week, all the holiday stuff has ended so no more Santa Claus parade or the acapella group in the Hub. I'm sure there were other downtimes too. And compare that to 2019, we are still missing the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Citizens of Hollywood, Jedi Training Academy, March of the First Order, the other Star Wars show in the middle of the park, and the Star Wars Launch Bay theater, plus the gift shops near Indy, Muppets, and Mermaid that aren't open to take in crowds.

So, I don't think it was really any busier, just an unlucky day with reduced attraction capacity.

NotCalledBob

While I'm sure it was busy today, attraction capacity is where the issue is. Today Rise of Risistance was at a reduced capacity due to maintenance issues. Lightning McQueen wasn't open all day. Tower of Terror is still only operating one side. Also compared last week, all the holiday stuff has ended so no more Santa Claus parade or the acapella group in the Hub. I'm sure there were other downtimes too. And compare that to 2019, we are still missing the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Citizens of Hollywood, Jedi Training Academy, March of the First Order, the other Star Wars show in the middle of the park, and the Star Wars Launch Bay theater, plus the gift shops near Indy, Muppets, and Mermaid that aren't open to take in crowds.

So, I don't think it was really any busier, just an unlucky day with reduced attraction capacity.
As much as admire your optimism.

None of that is unlucky. It's management decisions.

Brooklin Disney Dad

Lines are always going to be crazy during the holidays. This isn't because of LL. Of course more rides and capacity would help disperse some of it. But it will always be like this unless they cap attendance. I remember going to Orlando in 94 during the world cup. I distinctly remember being in universal and waiting almost 3 hours to ride back to the future. This isn't some new phenomenon.
You really have to do the research and try to justify if a trip to Disney right now is worth it. Would love to know how many rides people get on today, with or without G+. As a Disfam that went annually since 2008, we have no interest with the gong show that G+, LL and the overall experiences that families have shared for the increased cost we are expected to pay. Would ruin Disney memories. We left on a great memorable note in 2018 and have no desire to return.

Can't help myself. I'm jumping in:

First, capping attendance WOULD help, at least a little. Someone threw out 10K a Day, so let's pretend that's our number. If you capped at 10K, you still would not be able to manipulate the crowd into remaining evenly spread out in the park. So how to spread them out?

The "cost is no limit" answer is build more attractions. Doesn't have to be rides, but certainly could be. It could also be shows, walkthrough museum type venues, dinner shows, etc. Something that will entice portions of your audience to go "there" instead of everyone going "here."

The next, and cheaper, option would be to ramp up Meet & Greets that will draw kids (hopefully with their parents in tow) to designated areas away from the huge main attractions. I can think of at least a dozen characters that Disney could spread out in EACH PARK that would absorb some of the crowds.

Ultimately, the price of a Disney vacation hasn't hit its equilibrium price, yet. Demand is STILL sky high (post pandemic insanity, anyone?), while price has only inched up by, what? $20? If you raised Daily tickets to $139, or even $149, and then stagger you packages from there, you will start to curb demand. Now, obviously those folks who have to save and save to do Disney on a shoestring budget will be punished by being priced out. That's very sad. But, if I am a stockholder for Disney, I am worried about parks "packed" with HAPPY customers who go home (or blast social media) with what an AWESOME time they had at Disney!

All I am seeing and hearing from people is how miserable their experience was. People will pay a LOT of money for GOOD memories, over and over and over. But you make them pay a LOT for a bunch of BAD memories, and they might never return.

I am fascinated to watch the parks productivity lines over the next 8 quarters or so. Waiting on that "Ahhah!" moment when they slide into the red. Smart companies try to avoid that at "all costs."

Be smart, Disney.

Oh, and I'm curious about this "you don't have to go to Disney to ride rides."

I'm a party of five. That's 5 x $109 = $549.

Um, I'm not interested in walking around in a crowded park to stare at people for $549. While we aren't interested in rides with two hour waits, we WILL find stuff to ride to feel like we could justify the cost. When I'm in Orlando and want a cheap Disney fix, I go to Springs... where I can walk around and stare at people.

Springs ain't $549. 😁

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wish the media had the balls to come into the parks and record the frustration around the lines…and the number of “joking” “most expensive day ever” and “#broke” shirts being worn…

The numbers have risen steadily for years

Isn’t Bob fixing it? Or was there a google mixer at the French laundry tonight?

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What can they “curb” in this sense?

Well if this were Disney China they could be under their system. Directly reach out and prohibit people from going, take their money so they couldn't go, or even just make them disappear.

If the economy in the US does a repeat of 2008, there wont be sufficient discretionary spending dollars for crowding nor will there be a lot of open job positions.

epcotWSC

I couldn't imagine enjoying the current system in my days before having kids when we were a couple 20 something's doing our best to hit up every ride that we cared about (typically the most popular ones) in a single day. It seems like it would be impossible now.

With young kids we go in with the expectation of not going on any big rides and only doing a few of the dark ride type things and then characters, shows, and such. However, I know that once we're bringing around 6+ year olds that's all going to change. The thought of going to a park and not getting to experience everything when it was doable years ago and is mainly Disney's own doing is highly disappointing and makes you rethink any desire to go.

culturenthrills

I was at Disney Springs today and it was packed. It still blows my mind that WDW doesn’t run Christmas until the first week of January. Meanwhile DLP and DL does.

Touchdown

If the economy in the US does a repeat of 2008, there wont be sufficient discretionary spending dollars for crowding nor will there be a lot of open job positions.
No one is expecting a repeat of 2008, recession yes, Great Recession no. We have a much surer footing then back then, and as of right now, there isn’t a horrible weakness like subprime known. 1992 is the hope. Our last “normal recession.”

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No one is expecting a repeat of 2008, recession yes, Great Recession no. We have a much surer footing then back then, and as of right now, there isn’t a horrible weakness like subprime known. 1992 is the hope. Our last “normal recession.”

I'll agree that the causation is different. This time IMHO will be due to the Fed increasing the money supply faster than the economy has grown.

Touchdown

I'll agree that the causation is different. This time IMHO will be due to the Fed increasing the money supply faster than the economy has grown.
Or just the business cycle doing it’s thing, we were due for one when Covid hit, we delayed it with the stimulus given to survive 2020. Now that the fed has turned hawkish and is removing that cash with QT it’s now happening. I don’t look at this as Fed caused, just delayed by them, and I think for a good reason. This downturn is the price we pay to have prevented the collapse of the world order in 2020.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom