News Holiday crowds at Walt Disney World theme parks 2022

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It would be interesting to compare 2019 to today. It’s a better comparison in my opinion.

Can we agree FastPass plus worked “better” then Genie+ ?

I don’t remember standby being this bad in 2019.
2019 featured a shockingly large amount of 3 and outs…with tiers. I’ve never seen a high priced consumer product garner so little expectation from the consumers.

It wasn’t “better”…it was some bizarro at will zombie land. And it will continue to have repercussions for at least - minimum - 5+ years into the future.

Everyone played right into the hands of people who really don’t understand parks or how to run them

1672753708474.jpeg

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Mmmmm hmmmmm…

Can’t fit 1,000 square pegs into 100 round holes…
…no matter what you charge them and try to dress it up

The reality is Bob Iger was a horrible domestic park manager. He did things for show, not for operational need.
And yet…so…many…loved…it

That being said, yesterday was a one off fluke.

Holiday weekend and an unfavorable mix of guest attendance ( AP, and FL Resident blackout lifted) which destroyed the parks.

I assume that all the unfavorables brought their own bagged lunches and waited to get to 192 before they bought any merch.

Lilofan

Holiday weekend and an unfavorable mix of guest attendance ( AP, and FL Resident blackout lifted) which destroyed the parks.

I assume that all the unfavorables brought their own bagged lunches and waited to get to 192 before they bought any merch.
I’m not ashamed to line up at the parks water fountains filling up my empty water bottle like other fellow guests . Don’t care what others think.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah…I didn’t bother to check if the blackouts were lifted yesterday…but after about 6 minutes in Mk…I just assumed so.
It had a “weekend in Disneyland” vibe going.

Mass exodus at Epcot at 9:15 would have given that away as well

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yeah…I didn’t bother to check if the blackouts were lifted yesterday…but after about 6 minutes in Mk…I just assumed so.
It had a “weekend in Disneyland” vibe going.

Mass exodus at Epcot at 9:15 would have given that away as well
I sure hope there's a picture of you from the that spot in the Moroccan Pavilion posted in a certain thread.

Disstevefan1

2019 featured a shockingly large amount of 3 and outs…with tiers. I’ve never seen a high priced consumer product garner so little expectation from the consumers.

It wasn’t “better”…it was some bizarro at will zombie land. And it will continue to have repercussions for at least - minimum - 5+ years into the future.

Everyone played right into the hands of people who really don’t understand pairs or how to run them

View attachment 689747
In my opinion, FastPass+ being free was better.

I think today with the paid Genie+ folks feel obligated to use their LL whereas with FastPass+, being free, folks commonly skipped their FastPass+ if they wanted to. I think this resulted lower standby wait times.

I think Genie+ really fails when it's really busy in the parks.

No matter what system is in use, it will always be true there are not enough attractions to absorb the crowds.

Until recently I never realized how much money TWDC Throws away on D+ content and Box office flops "in hope they may make money"

In my opinion the money could be put to better use to add attractions to the theme parks to improve the guest experience in a division that actually makes money.

Having said that. Disney knows, they need not improve the guest experience in the parks. Folks show up anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my opinion, FastPass+ being free was better.

I think today with the paid Genie+ folks feel obligated to use their LL whereas with FastPass+, being free, folks commonly skipped their FastPass+ if they wanted to. I think this resulted lower standby wait times.

I think Genie+ really fails when it's really busy in the parks.

No matter what system is in use, it will always be true there are not enough attractions to absorb the crowds.

Until recently I never realized how much money TWDC Throws away on D+ content and Box office flops "in hope they may make money"

In my opinion the money could be put to better use to add attractions to the theme parks to improve the guest experience in a division that actually makes money.

Having said that. Disney knows, they need not improve the guest experience in the parks. Folks show up anyway.
I know that’s a popular opinion…

But as explained in the video mono posted: from an operational standpoint it didn’t work. And that problem would have gotten horribly worse

All the tales of gobbling up garbage extra fastpasses each day was offset 100:1 by people not being able to get onto old decent ride systems without ridiculous standby waits that didn’t move.

The only real “benefit” was complaints were less because there were no add on fees.

I’d they had charged for it in 2015…the lines at pest services would have been just as long as they were for genie in 2021

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

But as explained in the video mono posted: from an operational standpoint it didn’t work. And that problem would have gotten horribly worse

All the tales of gobbling up garbage extra fastpasses each day was offset 100:1 by people not being able to get onto old decent ride systems without ridiculous standby waits that didn’t move.

The only real “benefit” was complaints were less because there were no add on fees.

I’d they had charged for it in 2015…the lives at pest services would have been just as long as they were for genie in 2021
Agreed, both systems were bad, but now we are paying for a bad system and the folks who don’t “pay the price” as Tim Tracker says, gets punished even worse.

But that’s OK, folks will still show up….. And pay.

Jrb1979

I’d they had charged for it in 2015…the lines at pest services would have been just as long as they were for genie in 2021
While adding capacity would help, FP, FP+ or Genie+ still wouldn't work.

Minnesota disney fan

Fastpass+ was a failure…

But we can keep talking about it like it was the golden Sasquatch 👍🏻
I must be the odd one out, but I really liked fastpass+. It allowed you to plan your day and at least ride the things you wanted to. I think the park hopper requirement was the wrong way to do it. People naturally go to other parks if they want to. Things moved easily with people making up their own minds when and if they wanted to park hop or not. They will never convince me that the PH 2pm rule was for our good in the end. I don't see how it makes the guest experience any easier. It only adds to things at disney that take away the guests spontaneity, which is one of the things we loved about disney. We could go where we wanted and when we wanted. But those days are gone unless the new CEO changes things. I am hopeful with a bit of skepticism about it too.

Chi84

Premium Member
I must be the odd one out, but I really liked fastpass+. It allowed you to plan your day and at least ride the things you wanted to. I think the park hopper requirement was the wrong way to do it. People naturally go to other parks if they want to. Things moved easily with people making up their own minds when and if they wanted to park hop or not. They will never convince me that the PH 2pm rule was for our good in the end. I don't see how it makes the guest experience any easier. It only adds to things at disney that take away the guests spontaneity, which is one of the things we loved about disney. We could go where we wanted and when we wanted. But those days are gone unless the new CEO changes things. I am hopeful with a bit of skepticism about it too.
You’re not the odd one out except with a very vocal group on this site. We talked to a number of other guests and CMs on our last couple of trips and it seems there are a lot of people complaining about the loss of FP+.

But nothing lasts forever and this new system is supposed to be better for people who don’t like to plan and are more ride-focused than my group. I didn’t see the advantages but others are apparently having more success.

I also miss the spontaneity of years past. Even though we planned ADRs and FP+ we had no problem changing things up at the last minute. It’s different now, but we still managed to have a great time on our last trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re not an outlier

But it was BAD for Disney…and I would argue bad for the customer as well.

What it was really lazy/convenient…

And I would bet - knowing some things about the ways of parks - is that is substantially shortened the length of time in parks and therefore Disneys revenue where it matters: high profit merch and food sales were taking a hit

There’s a reason they killed it. And the same reason is why it’s never coming back.

Personally…tiers are shameful and pathetic for $170 tickets from a “moderate” $325 room.

I’ll die on this hill.

Jrb1979

You’re not an outlier

But it was BAD for Disney…and I would argue bad for the customer as well.

What it was really lazy/convenient…

And I would bet - knowing some things about the ways of parks - is that is substantially shortened the length of time in parks and therefore Disneys revenue where it matters: high profit merch and food sales were taking a hit

There’s a reason they killed it. And the same reason is why it’s never coming back.

Personally…tiers are shameful and pathetic for $170 tickets from a “moderate” $325 room.

I’ll die on this hill.
Personally they should scrap the whole thing. Make VIP the only way to get short waits. Most won't like it but DWI

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom