HM rumors DEBUNKED!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
People on here know some HM Butlers, I'm sure. I'd be interested to see what they find if they look on the back of the pop-up heads. The pop-up heads that have the same face on them as 30 years ago. My guess? They'd see the same thing they've always seen for 30 years. :lol:

But just take my post with a grain of salt. :wave:

The pop up heads aren't original to the ride. They were added during a refurb in the 90's, when the cartoony bride was added to the attic. :wave:

tirian

Without naming names, its reckoning time for all those "insiders", cast members, and "well-connected" folks who spread false rumors about the Haunted Mansion rehab.

The top prize goes to a popular (but often unreliable) website that reported the rehab would only be "lights and audio upgrades", citing major budget cuts. A few individuals also claimed to know this first-hand. Their comments ignited a "Disney is cheap!" riot. Whoops!

Remember all those rumors back in the Spring about a gift shop
and an on-ride photo booth?

(Like many rumors, perhaps some ideas were once a real possibility. But the final budget and specifics of this refurb were locked in LONG before the false rumors surfaced.)

We still haven't seen that cage of live bats in the queue!

An "in-the-know" cast member claimed that the bride's name was going to be "Emily".

Another "insider" said the bride would be a full-blown "Jack Sparrow"-type animatronic.

Another big-named "insider" claimed that the ride would be different at night, including attic pop-up ghosts that would alternate between scary and funny faces. The insider later said the plans were scrapped at the last-minute, and that the new 2-faced pop-ups were moved to the graveyard, even though the old ones are still there, and even though a day/night change would likely require a huge marketing campaign, not to mention numerous other day/night effects to be worthwhile (another point about that insider: if I recall correctly since the original post has been removed, when a troll/prankster posted a completely fake "preview" report, the insider never disputed the false report, and in fact asked if the poster had seen the 2-sided pop-up heads!)

The moral of this story would probably be: remain skeptical unless you hear it from Disney.

But what about that Disney website article quoting an Imagineer who talks about "bringing the gargoyles to life"? That has to be the most bizarre "false rumor" yet.

Of course, for every false rumor, there was a reliable insider who had very real knowledge of what was going on. Look for those people the next time you read something about a "5th gate" or a new E-Ticket.

The only rumor that I personally know was considered was the gift shop that was scrapped LONG ago. And even that was more of a thought than a real plan. The Disney villains did almost get a meet-and-greet in the old FastPass distribution area, but that (thankfully) did not happen.

The moral of this story would probably be: remain skeptical unless you hear it from Disney.

Ermmm... In June, Disney said the wand was not coming down any time soon. Permits were filed in April (but kept secret until recently). Disney said that MGM Studios would never change its name.

CaptainMichael

Ermmm... In June, Disney said the wand was not coming down any time soon. Permits were filed in April (but kept secret until recently). Disney said that MGM Studios would never change its name.

Don't forget that nothing is being built next to the Contemporary...those cranes are a figment of your imagination.

mousermerf

Account Suspended

I moreso prefer to remain skeptical until i hear it from the orange county comptroller.

Whoa... does that mean this website doesn't even exist?
Does.. that mean I don't even exist?
Trippy.

Now you are getting into solopism which basically says "I am the only thing that exists and every thing else is not real".

(Sorry, for that little college philo. lesson...I couldn't resist!;) )

JimboJones123

Now you are getting into solopism which basically says "I am the only thing that exists and every thing else is not real".

(Sorry, for that little college philo. lesson...I couldn't resist!;) )

Can I also get a real world explination of Phenomenology? Seriously, so an average joe can understand.

(should average joe be Average Joe or average Joe? Since the "JOE" isn't a proper name in this situation, I'm thinking "joe" but if anybody knows for sure, let me know as well. Thanks)

JimboJones123

I'm sorry, but I don't believe there was ever any truth to two different versions of the HM. Not a bit. I'm not bashing you, either, by the way... Just the idea that it was ever on the table as a possibility.

And if it ever DID come up as a possibility, there was no way it got far enough for us to hear about it before someone said "wait a tic... we might scare the kids!!!!" :rolleyes:

The logistics alone would have basically made it impossible. Don't forget, during its massive re-build in 04-05, Disneyland planned for and built two different versions for their Space Mountain. Even put up a sign that had both versions built into it... But it was quickly figured out that there wasn't any easy way to make it work, and it was completely mothballed with the exception of a couple grad nights. And that was just a coaster. Nothing nearly as involved as the HM.

I also find it curious that this exact same rumor was floated around during Pirates' major refurb. "Scarier at night!" some said. HA! There was even some copy that came out supposedly from Disney that referenced that fact. That turned out to be complete poppycock, and on top of that the person that designed that copy fessed up to it on another Disney fan site. Interesting to me that the same exact rumor came up from those "in the know" about the Mansion.

Those that say they're "in the know", yet suggested two different versions of our Mansion lost a good amount of cred in my eyes when they said that.

And since then, I've seen all KINDS of backpedaling on earlier predictions by a handful as well. Of COURSE they've posted to say "things have changed, they're not doing this or that anymore". What else would they do?

People on here know some HM Butlers, I'm sure. I'd be interested to see what they find if they look on the back of the pop-up heads. The pop-up heads that have the same face on them as 30 years ago. My guess? They'd see the same thing they've always seen for 30 years. :lol:

But just take my post with a grain of salt. :wave:

I like the idea of having alternate versions only for hard ticket events. It will give the park something more to promote. Logistically a switchover would be nighmare during a normal day. But at Hard Ticket events they close parts of the park for crowd control. Plus, if they are doing about 50 of these or so a year (just a guess with the 3 brands they are doing) it could draw more locals to hit these events as well. Also -- add another $5 to the tix price.

Lee

Adventurer
Everything that you see in the Mansion refurb was greenlit a year ago. Nothing was cut during the refurb.
The gift shop was discussed, but never made the final plan.
On-ride photo....I heard it mentioned way back, but don't know what ever became of it. Seemed like a good idea to me, but could have been cut when they decided against the shop. Need someplace to sell them...

As for the "scarier at night"...I don't know. I did hear talk of putting that capability in, but for use on special occasions (MNSSHP, etc.), not as a nightly thing. Honestly I don't know if the new props are in there or not...I'll ask around.

The gargoyles thing was purely someone's misunderstanding.

I also find it curious that this exact same rumor was floated around during Pirates' major refurb. "Scarier at night!" some said. HA!
Nah...that was just a carryover rumor from the DL refurb when they were actually considering the "Pirates of the Scare-ibbean" concept. Never made it off the boards at DL...never did at WDW either. Cool rumor though, based in at least a pinch of fact.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just some info the maybe clarify a few points that have been raised in this thread.

This comes directly from people involved in the project, who really do know what they are talking about!

- there were no plans to ever have a day and night version.
- there are no backs to the popup heads with different faces...any of them.
- the popup heads are the exact same heads that were there before the rehab. They were not even touched.

Buried20KLeague

The pop up heads aren't original to the ride. They were added during a refurb in the 90's, when the cartoony bride was added to the attic. :wave:

Touche'. :lol:

What I SHOULD have said was when the original molds were made for the pop-up heads. My point was that they haven't changed the heads at all since the original molds.

Can I also get a real world explination of Phenomenology? Seriously, so an average joe can understand.

(should average joe be Average Joe or average Joe? Since the "JOE" isn't a proper name in this situation, I'm thinking "joe" but if anybody knows for sure, let me know as well. Thanks)

Sorry, but in my philospophy 101 class we have yet to talk about phenomenology in the four weeks or so of school.

But...I did a little surfing and I think this is the easiest explanation for an "average joe" (dictionary.com says so), phenomenology is "a study of human experience in which the considerations of an objective reality--or how things really are--are not taken into account."

Or the principle in phenomenology is "knowledge is discovered through open, unbiased description of experience, without any attribution of cause or other explanation"

JimboJones123

Sorry, but in my philospophy 101 class we have yet to talk about phenomenology in the four weeks or so of school.

But...I did a little surfing and I think this is the easiest explanation for an "average joe" (dictionary.com says so), phenomenology is "a study of human experience in which the considerations of an objective reality--or how things really are--are not taken into account."

Or the principle in phenomenology is "knowledge is discovered through open, unbiased description of experience, without any attribution of cause or other explanation"
So in other words, in nature of being human, this knowledge doesn't exist. Sounds pointless. Sorry, minored in Phil and skipped that class.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom