HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Doubtful; the current expansion will be finished first, the park is too far out and the transport is too good to justify it right now
but from some articles that i dug up theyre not expecting the expansion at DCA to be finished until at least 2027. and its evident that they want the US park to get the ride first. if thats the case then expansion at HKDL will remain stagnant for at least the next 6-7 years

Supersnow84

but from some articles that i dug up theyre not expecting the expansion at DCA to be finished until at least 2027. and its evident that they want the US park to get the ride first. if thats the case then expansion at HKDL will remain stagnant for at least the next 6-7 years
Of course though it’s still up in the air if they actually get the same ride

Regardless there are currently zero plans for the downtown Disney esplanade

Of course though it’s still up in the air if they actually get the same ride

Regardless there are currently zero plans for the downtown Disney esplanade
i think it's likely, but considering the concept art i mentioned was created in the chapek era i dont know if there have been any changes to the plans. the most recent bit of concept art only showcased DCA

Supersnow84

i think it's likely, but considering the concept art i mentioned was created in the chapek era i dont know if there have been any changes to the plans. the most recent bit of concept art only showcased DCA
I think it’s more likely than not but the biggest point against it is that Hong Kong just refuses to mention it, we still have no idea of a time beyond arendelle when they are going to make a move again

I think it’s more likely than not but the biggest point against it is that Hong Kong just refuses to mention it, we still have no idea of a time beyond arendelle when they are going to make a move again
tbh my bets on more things being teased at the 2024 D23 expo. thats when they tend to make major announcements

Hkayer

Ocean park used to be the local golden child but they burned a lot of goodwill during Covid and peopled moved towards Disney; Disney is strongly the favourite right now

Their goodwill started to be destroyed in 2019 for firing the Halloween show producers/performers due to political reasons. They therefore started to lose local attendance and it got worse after many attractions closed down, including a drop tower, 2 coasters out of 4, a splash-mountain type ride, a pirate ship etc. Local goes to OP other than Disney mostly bc of their thrill rides or animals. This surely hurt OP very much for losing its competitiveness. So I think thrill rides will help Disney gain some attendance from here.

Also, OP focused heavily on mainland tourists. This becomes a very difficult situation for them when mainlanders don't come due to COVID and their negative impression of HK. This is reflected by the difference in attendance between Disney and OP in 2022 (3.4 million vs 1.4 million), even HK residents get a free ticket on their birthdays.

Not to miss that Chimelong Ocean Kingdom is not far away. They got more thrilling rides and impressive exhibits/aquariums and definitely drove OP attendance away. The second park is now open and there is continuous development for the resort. Mainlanders rather go to Chimelong instead of OP.

OP therefore lost both locals and mainlanders. I think it is unlikely that the government would willing to invest in the park in the future as to avoid direct competition with Chimelong. OP may slowly become a local zoo instead of a theme park in the future.

Last edited:

Supersnow84

Their goodwill started to be destroyed in 2019 for firing the Halloween show producers/performers due to political reasons. They therefore started to lose local attendance and it got worse after many attractions closed down, including 1 drop tower, 2 coasters out of 4, a splash-mountain type ride, a pirate ship etc. Local goes to OP other than Disney mostly bc of their thrill rides or for some, animals. This surely hurt OP very much for losing its competitiveness. So I think thrill rides will help Disney gain some attendance from here.

Also, OP focused heavily on mainland tourists. This becomes a very difficult situation for them when mainlanders don't come due to COVID and their negative impression of HK. This is reflected by the difference in attendance between Disney and OP in 2022 (3.4 million vs 1.4 million), even HK residents get a free ticket on their birthdays.

Not to miss that Chimelong Ocean Kingdom is not far away. They got more thrilling rides and impressive exhibits/aquariums and definitely drove OP attendance away. The second park is now open and there is continuous development for the resort.

OP therefore lost both locals and mainlanders. I think it is unlikely that the government would willing to invest in the park in the future to avoid direct competition with Chimelong. OP may slowly become a local zoo instead of a theme park in the future.
There is also the controversy that went around where LegCo bailed out OP then OP laid off most of their staff during Covid

Meanwhile Disney asked for nothing and still kept their entire staff on

I really don’t think OP is going to survive much longer TBH as it seems like Disney has caught the local market finally

Hkayer

IF there were ever to be a second park, any idea what it might be, given local tastes and a general sense of what's going on?
I would like it to be more of an adventure-style park similar to DisneySea/Animal Kingdom/Enchanted Forest with IPs like Pirates/Indy/Star Wars/Pandora/Villains/Wakanda. I think this will attract ppl who think Disneyland is for kids/couples.

Last edited:

I would like it to be more of an adventure-style park similar to DisneySea/Animal Kingdom/Enchanted Forest with IPs like Pirates/Indy/Star Wars/Pandora/Villains. I think this will attract ppl who think Disneyland is for kids/couples.
i think maybe pirates would eventually have an attraction in the legacy park? but there could potentially be an overarching story or smth that connects both park's pirates attractions? or is it too insignificant of a franchise to have 2 attractions in both parks

Hkayer

i think maybe pirates would eventually have an attraction in the legacy park? but there could potentially be an overarching story or smth that connects both park's pirates attractions? or is it too insignificant of a franchise to have 2 attractions in both parks
I would love to see Pirates flume in Disneyland Park. I stated Pirates just to give an overall feeling of the 2nd park idea. But Peter Pan will be in both DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland. So it could happen (but I doubt that a franchise will have 2 e-tickets).

Last edited:

Supersnow84

The second park is a long long way out, at best they would need another expansion of the size of the one they are currently doing and have attendance regular exceed 10-12mil before they would even consider it

SweetDuffy101

IF there were ever to be a second park, any idea what it might be, given local tastes and a general sense of what's going on?
The Idea that I read on other forums that DisneySea was always the answer for a second park. and animal kingdom based theme park for Shanghai Disneyland.

Supersnow84

CC462ACE-DC69-418D-9BD0-26F26EC100AE.jpeg

I know the proportions aren’t really accurate on these maps but with the map out now with arendelle included does anyone else think that loss of autopia is really making the park look unbalanced

I wonder with how long this is dragging on they actually regret ripping down autopia, it wasn’t the best ride but I do feel like the park desperately needs more on the north side

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom