Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

lazyboy97o

No complaint, just fact. Not impressed, not high Speed Rail, not really eco friendly and not innovative. Just another short distance transport option for those that want may be interested is the only positive I see.
So a Florida railroad should have embarked on a transcontinental high speed rail project because you would find it more impressive?

JoeCamel

No complaint, just fact. Not impressed, not high Speed Rail, not really eco friendly and not innovative. Just another short distance transport option for those that want may be interested is the only positive I see.
Excuse me while I call in the Boring company to make it exciting. I doubt this line will be around in 10 years without major changes and a bunch of money from the public but if they want to build it I don't think it displaces any other viable options.

Disstevefan1

I put myself in the position of that family that just landed. If I came in on a direct flight that took 2 hours that's one thing. But for the family that's been on a flight for a few hours and possibly a layover or two, or especially those coming in internationally. The appeal of a direct ride to your resort vs another method of transportation that would require an additional transfer and wait time, well I'd choose the direct route - especially if there were no significant cost benefit.

When you think how the train may work (if it ever comes online) you begin to think about all the luggage issues; I presume a WDW visitor will take the train with luggage to Disney Springs, then collect their luggage and then what? Get an Uber or Lyft to their resort? The WDW busses at Disney Springs can’t transport the luggage and guests.

Will there be special busses to get guests from Disney Springs to their resorts?

It’s going to be interesting to see the mob of Uber and Lyft cars now transporting individual families and their luggage to WDW from the airport.

I guess the car rental businesses will get a lot of new customers, so I guess that’s good.

Traffic will of course be heavier due to the loss of the busses.

DME was in a word, perfect.

In the end I think there will be a service exactly like DME, with the same skinned buses, but now for a price. And folks will gladly pay and use it.

TrainsOfDisney

Ok?
So what would you like to see linking MCO and WDW? And what is your definition of high speed rail? Is usually starts at 125 or 150.... since you’re not impressed with 125 how about 150? Would that do it?

In the end I think there will be a service exactly like DME, with the same skinned buses, but now for a price. And folks will gladly pay and use it.
Yes. It will be called Mears. Which is exactly what we had before DME.

lazyboy97o

When you think how the train may work (if it ever comes online) you begin to think about all the luggage issues; I presume a WDW visitor will take the train with luggage to Disney Springs, then collect their luggage and then what? Get an Uber or Lyft to their resort? The WDW busses at Disney Springs can’t transport the luggage and guests.

Will there be special busses to get guests from Disney Springs to their resorts?

It’s going to be interesting to see the mob of Uber and Lyft cars now transporting individual families and their luggage to WDW from the airport.

I guess the car rental businesses will get a lot of new customers, so I guess that’s good.

Traffic will of course be heavier due to the loss of the busses.

DME was in a word, perfect.

Again, this is not being built as a Magical Express replacement. It will be an option but it is not the focus of the project. Even when the Walt Disney World station opens the other end of the line will be Miami, not Orlando International Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

trainplane3

Again, this is not being built as a Magical Express replacement. It will be an option but it is not the focus of the project. Even when the Walt Disney World station opens the other end of the line will be Miami, not Orlando International Airport.

Is there any part of Central Florida you don’t think is dicey?
I think that's the big thing people are forgetting. The Disney station is simply a bonus of the project. Tampa to Miami is the real goal.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Brightline has been successful in Florida and the new line connecting Orlando will go a long way to easing the great tourism wall that separates the middle of the state from Miami. The lines that have been operating between Miami, Palm Beach, etc.. have been doing well for short line travel faster than taking a car. Plus the service and comfort levels with the line are significantly better than nearly anything else out there on America's railroads. The connector from Disney to the airport is a great way to get from point A to B for tourists. The real benefit is a higher speed option for Floridians who want to travel easily between West Palm Beach and Orlando or Tampa.

Disstevefan1

Ok?
So what would you like to see linking MCO and WDW? And what is your definition of high speed rail? Is usually starts at 125 or 150.... since you’re not impressed with 125 how about 150? Would that do it?

Yes. It will be called Mears. Which is exactly what we had before DME.
Yes I remember. In fact The busses and drivers for DME was contracted by Mears. I wonder if going forward they will use the same skinned buses. Seems like a waste to pull off all those cool skins.

Trains aside, this is Disney once again taking away something that was free to the visitors that cost Disney money, to save that cost and once again make the visitors pay.

Yes I know a long time ago it was like this, but it was “ always free” for folks who first started to Visit WDW after 2005.

Free resort parking GONE.
Free bus from airport GONE.

What’s next? A few of guesses-

Free parking at Disney Springs.

Free Fastpasses - there will be free Fastpasses, but they will be worthless. You will need to buy ones of any value.

WDW AP that allows “Go anytime”with no blackouts and no reservations. I am going to miss this one.

The WDW Reset button has been pressed. Let’s see what we got when we are fully re booted.

At this point I usually thank China, but the real thanks goes to Disney. Disney always wanted to hit that reset button, they just needed an excuse and that excuse was COVID.

Lilofan

Yes I remember. In fact The busses and drivers for DME was contracted by Mears. I wonder if going forward they will use the same skinned buses. Seems like a waste to pull off all those cool skins.

Trains aside, this is Disney once again taking away something that was free to the visitors that cost Disney money, to save that cost and once again make the visitors pay.

Yes I know a long time ago it was like this, but it was “ always free” for folks who first started to Visit WDW after 2005.

Free Fastpasses - there will be free Fastpasses, but they will be worthless. You will need to buy ones of any value.

WDW AP that allows “Go anytime”with no blackouts and no reservations. I am going to miss this one.

The WDW Reset button has been pressed. Let’s see what we got when we are fully re booted.

At this point I usually thank China, but the real thanks goes to Disney. Disney always wanted to hit that reset button, they just needed an excuse and that excuse was COVID.
Universal Orlando fast passes called express passes are not free. It is just a matter of time.

TrainsOfDisney

Oh I totally agree. It’s a foolish move for Disney just like parking at the resorts. It’s a terrible business decision imho but people will still end up getting to wdw the same way they always have. A mix of mears bus, taxi, Uber and rental car. And eventually a train as well.

CntrlFlPete

When they open SFL to Orlando, it should have high speeds, I forget if they agreed to stop in Port St Lucy or if it is WPB to ORL. That can really tie Orlando to Miami for many tourist. Brightline has different ticket classes, lots of pluses to travel. Currently it is a great way for someone in WPB to run to Miami for say an art show.

If they connect Tampa to Orlando, again (for tourist at least) you open a decent option.

Not sure of the need for a Disney loop, but I imagine it gives a different destination at the end of the day.

TrainsOfDisney

It still will not generally be considered true high speed rail.
Debatable. HSR starts at either 125 or 150. In North America anything above 110 should be considered HSR. The only thing that hits over 110 in the USA is Keystone corridor and northeast corridor so Brightline will still be one of the fastest trains in North America.

bpiper

Brightline update:

Virgin sues Brightline for $251 million over end of ‘Virgin Trains’ name​

Virgin Enterprises, the corporation headed by Sir Richard Branson, is suing Brightline over the rail operator’s decision to drop the “Virgin Trains” name. The BBC reports Virgin is suing for $251 million, saying Brightline is reneging on a 20-year licensing deal by claiming the Virgin brand had been damaged and was no longer “a brand of international high repute,” a claim the suit calls “cynical and spurious.” Brightline and Virgin Trains announced their agreement in 2018, but Brightline said it would exit the agreement last year. The suit seeks the amount Virgin says it would have covered in royalties to this point, plus an early termination fee.

Disstevefan1

Universal Orlando fast passes called express passes are not free. It is just a matter of time.
Ironically a long time ago Universal had a free paper Fastpass system. I remember I liked it because they put the machines that supplied fast passes for all attractions at the front of the park, no need to run to the attraction to get a fast pass. It was nice until Disney squashed it.

Then as you said, Universal went right to the paid express pass. What was great about Universal, if you stay at one of the three deluxe universal resorts, you got free express passes, you use your room card. Even better, you got this on check in day and check out day. We once did a one night stay and used express passes on both days.

I think this is still true for Universal’s three original deluxe resorts.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Brightline update:

Virgin Enterprises, the corporation headed by Sir Richard Branson, is suing Brightline over the rail operator’s decision to drop the “Virgin Trains” name. The BBC reports Virgin is suing for $251 million, saying Brightline is reneging on a 20-year licensing deal by claiming the Virgin brand had been damaged and was no longer “a brand of international high repute,” a claim the suit calls “cynical and spurious.” Brightline and Virgin Trains announced their agreement in 2018, but Brightline said it would exit the agreement last year. The suit seeks the amount Virgin says it would have covered in royalties to this point, plus an early termination fee.
And so it begins.

maxairmike

Brightline update:

I suspect any appreciably large settlement will be a setback to Brightline's expansion plans beyond the line to MCO. Enough to impact the chance of a Springs station anytime within the next 5 years I would think (2024 was the earliest I expected anyway, never bought into a 2023 timeline).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom