High Line West Side construction

mechurchlady

I am back!
The story is that this is a gathering of fisheen and farmers. It has gone through an evolution based on other cities. The elevated railway would have gone past warehouses that were leveled and replaced by urban modern buildings. pleasure island is what remains of the docks and warehouses. Marketplace is the old shopping are kept that way just like in Whittier.

I am happy! Love the way things are going!

RayTheFirefly

How things work and interact is a big part of such research. Created Disney environments are full of elements lifted right from the real world.
That's what I mean by "inspired by." I'm not sure how else to say what I mean other than just repeating what I already said. They use real-life things to inspire their themes. Just like Cinderella Castle is not an exact replica of any real-life castle and is not a functioning royal residence.

djkidkaz

Does anyone know whats going on with this? The second half has been under construction by HOB and Curl forever now. It seems that all progress has come to a halt for some reason.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Mar 10. The last section of the West Side High Line seems complete, including landscaping, seating area, and fresh concrete pavement poured on one side (see metal barricade fence on left). I expect the construction walls will be removed very soon.

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

Last edited:

halltd

While I love the overall look of these, the top is horribly disappointing. If there was never a possibility to see the tops, I can see leaving them the way they have. But, since they ARE visible, I'm surprised they at least didn't put a nice looking gravel to cover the roof membrane. The rail also stands out to be as "unfinished". I'm curious as to why they weren't painted the same color as the rest of the structure.

Regardless, I think they add a nice touch to the overall ambiance of the West Side.

matt9112

While I love the overall look of these, the top is horribly disappointing. If there was never a possibility to see the tops, I can see leaving them the way they have. But, since they ARE visible, I'm surprised they at least didn't put a nice looking gravel to cover the roof membrane. The rail also stands out to be as "unfinished". I'm curious as to why they weren't painted the same color as the rest of the structure.

Regardless, I think they add a nice touch to the overall ambiance of the West Side.

Should be aged.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Monday, Mar 16. The last section of the West Side High Line is open. Most of the construction walls have been removed. The remaining construction walls are for pavement work leading up to the High Line, which had a temporary covering for several months over utility work. As with the other two sections of the High Line, there will be no overhead seating or stairway to the upper level.

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

Last edited:

P_Radden

Thanks for the pics showing perspective of where the walkway will come down. Do we have any pics or renderings of how the stairs/ramp will connect here?

Murphketeer

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 3. A small detail that went unnoticed by me. There are high line structural "remnants" on the ground spaced at regular intervals between and beyond the existing high line structures. Gives the appearance that Disney Springs "removed" sections of the existing high line and left these details on the ground. The detail is a concrete pillar base with exposed cut-off rebar. Construction workers were smoothing these level with the pavement this morning.

View attachment 81378
I like it. the small details really tie the entire space together

roj2323

That roof "Membrane" is just concrete.

halltd

Just boring is all. Maybe they will paint something on it eventully.
No, not just boring. Ugly. They put so much detail into the rest of these down to the cut off old foundations throughout the rest of the pavement in the West Side. Then they left the top completely bare? Totally ugly. If they are really supposed to be old train trestles, put some tracks up there with gravel and railroad ties. Done. Again, if these were only visible from Characters in Flight, I could see leaving the tops bare concrete. But, there are nearby second floors of buildings that make almost all of these visible from a close distance. They should have finished them off.

Maccabee18

Are all the structures supposed to link together, or will they be three separate areas? I thought the point of the structure was to provide seating in the elevated section but I don't see where they would put stairs or an elevator to it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are all the structures supposed to link together, or will they be three separate areas? I thought the point of the structure was to provide seating in the elevated section but I don't see where they would put stairs or an elevator to it.

They were supposed to have seating but that was eliminated from the plan at some point. Now they are just shade and decoration.

Maccabee18

I bet legal had issues with people being up there. As unfortunate as our society is now there would be people throwing things from above and there isn't much they could do to stop it other than encasing it or not letting people up there at all. However; they should have just completed the entire structure and not just three different segments.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I bet legal had issues with people being up there. As unfortunate as our society is now there would be people throwing things from above and there isn't much they could do to stop it other than encasing it or not letting people up there at all. However; they should have just completed the entire structure and not just three different segments.

I believe the three segments is how it was always intended. The one by the food truck park is larger then the other two and was going to be the one with the seating area on top.

halltd

Yeah I was looking forward to being able to go up there and people watch. I doubt it was legal issues, but more logistics, capacity, and budget. Stairs, elevators, and railings would have added a LOT of cost to that relatively small structure. Plus, it would have been challenging to control capacity. Cool idea and probably possible way back in the day when everything at Disney wasn't mobbed, but logistically challenging now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom