High Line West Side construction

mm121

Yeah I was looking forward to being able to go up there and people watch. I doubt it was legal issues, but more logistics, capacity, and budget. Stairs, elevators, and railings would have added a LOT of cost to that relatively small structure. Plus, it would have been challenging to control capacity. Cool idea and probably possible way back in the day when everything at Disney wasn't mobbed, but logistically challenging now.

probably a combination of legal/logistics/cost/etc

as this area wasn't going to be under direct supervision of employees of any restaurants or anything they were probably concerned about safety if it got too crowded, or if someone incited a panic the only ways down would be the one staircase or the one elevator

and without staff posted up there to control/watch crowds to be sure people dont throw things, get drunk and climb on the rails etc, unfortunately in the age of stupid people we live in it was just kinda an accident waiting to happen

Mouse Detective

probably a combination of legal/logistics/cost/etc.
as this area wasn't going to be under direct supervision of employees of any restaurants or anything they were probably concerned about safety if it got too crowded, or if someone incited a panic the only ways down would be the one staircase or the one elevator and without staff posted up there to control/watch crowds to be sure people dont throw things, get drunk and climb on the rails etc, unfortunately in the age of stupid people we live in it was just kinda an accident waiting to happen
Everyone assumes that this project is finished but who is to say there isn't a Phase 2 once Downtown Disney becomes Disney Springs. All those concerns would have been thought of before they constructed the place. And there are other locations on the West Side that have outdoor second floor areas with railings. Why allow those but not the Highline? And there is still concept art posted in Downtown Disney showing the second floor seating area. So I'm going to hold out that more is to come.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everyone assumes that this project is finished but who is to say there isn't a Phase 2 once Downtown Disney becomes Disney Springs. All those concerns would have been thought of before they constructed the place. And there are other locations on the West Side that have outdoor second floor areas with railings. Why allow those but not the Highline? And there is still concept art posted in Downtown Disney showing the second floor seating area. So I'm going to hold out that more is to come.
I thought they took down that concept art a while ago. I also feel like maybe we had this discussion before so maybe I am wrong...again :)

halltd

And there is still concept art posted in Downtown Disney showing the second floor seating area. So I'm going to hold out that more is to come.

You're going to be disappointed then. There's no way they would have finished these and removed the construction walls without putting in stairs or elevators if there really was more to come. Just doesn't make any sense.

mm121

As the walls are down, these are done done, no way they would go back now and change them since that would destroy landscaping, new concrete work, etc, etc, etc the list goes on.

Other areas that have balconies, are all restraurants, meaning the areas are locked when the businesses are closed, and during opening hours the areas are always under the direct supervision of employees, so if say someone got drunk at bongos and started dancing around dangerously they could be dealt with before anything would happen. Also having staff enables crowd control/throwing things monitoring, and those areas have more than one entrance/exit

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You're going to be disappointed then. There's no way they would have finished these and removed the construction walls without putting in stairs or elevators if there really was more to come. Just doesn't make any sense.

I agree with this, adding stairs and elevators is not something that would be easy to do at a later date. If they were going to do it, they would have done it at the same time as the rest of the construction.

mm121

Maybe soaring style benches that bring you to the second level. For a modest price. ;)
or how about some thrill rides for the roof of disney quest.
las-vegas-f4f.jpg
Stratosphere+Thrill+Ride.jpg

matt9112

or how about some thrill rides for the roof of disney quest.
View attachment 88638 View attachment 88639

Honestly would not mind those especially the second one as long as they were steam punk styled to fit the springs storyline...like some old invetor came up with these machines. Could also hard ticket them like the Ballon. 1 or 2 of these flat rides well themed and placed won't detract anything in my opinion.

mm121

Honestly would not mind those especially the second one as long as they were steam punk styled to fit the springs storyline...like some old invetor came up with these machines. Could also hard ticket them like the Ballon. 1 or 2 of these flat rides well themed and placed won't detract anything in my opinion.

would definitely add something else to do other than shopping eating and drinking which would be nice

really hope DQ gets a redo sometime, but i agree these rides should be seperaely ticketed. would be cool to build an elevator going up the outside of the building.

and would add something to compete at least slightly with the new orlando eye and the tower rollercoaster on international drive

matt9112

would definitely add something else to do other than shopping eating and drinking which would be nice

really hope DQ gets a redo sometime, but i agree these rides should be seperaely ticketed. would be cool to build an elevator going up the outside of the building.

and would add something to compete at least slightly with the new orlando eye and the tower rollercoaster on international drive

i can only hope DQ at the very least gets an exterior change with new springs...but i honestly have no idea. i feel the same way about t-rex

mm121

i can only hope DQ at the very least gets an exterior change with new springs...but i honestly have no idea. i feel the same way about t-rex

trex is fine, i mean just because its suppose to be themed after a fun historic town, doesn't mean there wouldn't be tourist attraction type places such as trex and rainforest

matt9112

trex is fine, i mean just because its suppose to be themed after a fun historic town, doesn't mean there wouldn't be tourist attraction type places such as trex and rainforest

the overall theme is fine but the exterior needs a better tie in to the town....

Mouse Detective

probably a combination of legal/logistics/cost/etc.
as this area wasn't going to be under direct supervision of employees of any restaurants or anything they were probably concerned about safety if it got too crowded, or if someone incited a panic the only ways down would be the one staircase or the one elevator and without staff posted up there to control/watch crowds to be sure people dont throw things, get drunk and climb on the rails etc, unfortunately in the age of stupid people we live in it was just kinda an accident waiting to happen
Save Pleasure Island posted the highline concept art today showing the upstairs seating area.
http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2015/03/pi-update-concept-art-revisited.html

lazyboy97o

Disney Springs is set today, not 100 years ago. Any contemporary rides or architecture is a fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom