High Line West Side construction

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 3. A small detail that went unnoticed by me. There are high line structural "remnants" on the ground spaced at regular intervals between and beyond the existing high line structures. Gives the appearance that Disney Springs "removed" sections of the existing high line and left these details on the ground. The detail is a concrete pillar base with exposed cut-off rebar. Construction workers were smoothing these level with the pavement this morning.

IMG_4743.JPG

dstrawn9889

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 3. A small detail that went unnoticed by me. There are high line structural "remnants" on the ground spaced at regular intervals between and beyond the existing high line structures. Gives the appearance that Disney Springs "removed" sections of the existing high line and left these details on the ground. The detail is a concrete pillar base with exposed cut-off rebar. Construction workers were smoothing these level with the pavement this morning.

View attachment 81378
nice touch!

flyerjab

Why not just actually build it all along that stretch though. And actually allow for second level access while we're at it...

I am with you on this one. I remember when the concept art first came out and there was that hinted at 2nd level above the main walkways, where people could eat and/or drink, or just hang out and people watch. That should have first, been allowed to actually happen, and second it should have been proliferated throughout more of DS. It would have, if nothing else, provided more shade for those on the ground, and maybe it would have also given Disney enough of a reason to build access to the 2nd level if there was actually more space for people to sit.

RayTheFirefly

Why not just actually build it all along that stretch though. And actually allow for second level access while we're at it...
The same reason that Harambe's buildings look run down, or why the castle looks the way it does, or why everything on property came out the way it is? Because that's the theme/concept they were going for?

RayTheFirefly

But it's based on the Highline in NY which is one long continues stretch, not a bunch of small broken up pieces.
I think it's supposed to be more "inspired" by the High Line, not a replica. I can definitely get the thing they were going for... pieces that were left in a city that were never torn down. I mean, people are free to not like it, but I don't think that validates discrediting what was done. Prince Eric's castle isn't a real castle we can go in, but it is there just the same. Same with tons of themeing around WDW. I dunno...

lazyboy97o

I think it's supposed to be more "inspired" by the High Line, not a replica. I can definitely get the thing they were going for... pieces that were left in a city that were never torn down. I mean, people are free to not like it, but I don't think that validates discrediting what was done. Prince Eric's castle isn't a real castle we can go in, but it is there just the same. Same with tons of themeing around WDW. I dunno...
The problem though is an elevated train in Florida is already a big thematic stretch. Now it's another stretch to say that only these neat pieces were left behind and then saved as shading devices. That's a lot of money this small little town is spending to maintain huge structures for the purpose of providing some shade.

Next Big Thing

There are actually elevated passenger train tracks in downtown Miami and downtown Jacksonville.
Yeah, elevated rail systems are really the only feasible way to create a high capacity line in Florida (Disney's own Monorail is even an example of something semi-similar although it's not an actual train). They have the same type of thing in Atlanta as in Miami.

RayTheFirefly

The problem though is an elevated train in Florida is already a big thematic stretch. Now it's another stretch to say that only these neat pieces were left behind and then saved as shading devices. That's a lot of money this small little town is spending to maintain huge structures for the purpose of providing some shade.

Not really.

https://www.google.com/search?q=met...=9oDTVP-CKtWfyASy-YKQCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

But is a castle a thematic stretch for Florida as well? How realistic does it have to be? Are they not allowed to have some fun with it, to stretch reality a little?

Pumbaa1222

My point that it's "Imagineering" not "Replicating Real Life Things." That's the concept they wanted in their fictional town, and that's what they built.

And this in the West Side section of town, which is intentionally supposed to feel more "urban" "industrial" and built up AFTER the area around "the Springs" If this ran down the middle by the new stores that just opened, it would feel out of place, but on the West Side, it is very much in keeping with the theme. Also, every part of "the town" is supposed to feel slightly different and represent different areas of a community. In reality you wouldn't have a boathouse right next to a hangar right next to a train depot/wheelhouse. Just like the lands of Magic Kingdom, they are building a thematic representation, not building an actual town.

Last edited:

RayTheFirefly

And this in the West Side section of town, which is intentionally supposed to feel more "urban" "industrial" and built up AFTER the area around "the Springs" If this ran down the middle buy the new stores that just opened, it would feel out of place, but on the West Side, it is very much in keeping with the theme. Also, every part of "the town" is supposed to feel slightly different and represent different areas of a community. In reality you wouldn't have a boathouse right next to a hangar right next to a train depot/wheelhouse. Just like the lands of Magic Kingdom, they are building a thematic representation, not building an actual town.
Exactly. :)

Bolt

They could just build a second set of shade tarps from Epcot...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom