Here come the mermaids

janoimagine

Agreed. Saw it last week. Mega "meh". However, we did get a lot wetter on the ride than we used to. Is it just us or did they amp up splashes from cannonballs, etc. Our boat was soaking wet when we got in and it was only 9:00 am.
Glad they were working for you. They were not working at all for us the entire week of 10/21, bugged the hell out of me every time I rode it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It sounds like the projections weren't working/running when we rode it. We saw the skeleton and heard the song. But that was it. No one in my group even noticed the addition but me.

We did get the air blast as well. The effects in that scene seem to have been ramped up which is kind of cool but the ride has gotten a lot wetter. I'm not sure how welcome that is. It's also a bit louder/more scary to little kids.

I've also noticed its wetter. Here's my SINISTER THEORY!

Disney was sick and tired of people taking flash photos all the time, so they're now splashing guests in hopes they'll put their cameras away!! :D

Tip Top Club

I saw it today and I think it looks fine. Nice little plus for the attraction. Skull rock is definitely the highlight for me though. And I do enjoy "My Jolly Sailor Bold" I think it fits the tone well.

nytimez

Saw it for the first time last night. It's not a bad effect, but it's not an especially good effect either. I think it could still use some tweaking, it definitely looks like what it is: Lighting. But, as something caught out of the corner of the eye as the boat passes through, it's not terrible.

The singing seems unnecessary. I know it's from the film, but I'm not sure it works in that scene.

And yes, based on that one ride anyway, I'd say it's definitely wetter.

pmaljr

We were there and only noticed more splashing from the cannons, which I really liked. I wouldn't have even noticed the mermaid skeleton if I hadn't had seen it on here first. Nothing to see here, move along.

fngoofy

We saw the additions last month. I noticed the lack of a waterfall in the first part of the caves, after your boat launches.
I really miss this, as it is now so quiet that it doesn't feel right. Also, the mist waterfall is now diminished in affect, as there is no falling water sound.
It used to be that the actual water made it seem that the faux water was real. Now the faux waterfall just looks like mist, since it is silent.
I wish they would bring back the real water, justsayinisall.

Yankee Mouse

Finally saw it last week and it was better in person than in the video. I don't like the singing though seems a little too loud, and drowns out the wind which was a nice setup for the drop. Also didn't notice the water rushing sound that was missing until you mentioned it fngoofy. Good catch. Tone down the volume on the mermaid song, bring back the rushing water and I would be ok with it.

Bairstow

Are the waterfalls gone for good or are they just leaving them off as they incrementally fix various things in the caves?

fngoofy

Are the waterfalls gone for good or are they just leaving them off as they incrementally fix various things in the caves?
They look to be gone for good. I think I could see new rock work patched over where the old waterfall was (the texture was a bit different.)
My wife liked the mermaid splash, but to me is looks more like a squirt. I also agree with the volume of the mermaids. It should be much lower.

I would have rather seen a mermaid jump out by the ship attacking the town. They could have done it like the jumping fish in Splash Mountain.

Sloan

I rode several times last week, and I have to say that I like the addition. All-in-all, Pirates was looking excellent. The 'mermaid effect' alongside the boat was quick and not super-impressive, but still a 'plus'. I thought that the skeletons on the beach scene looked great. I did not think that the mermaid singing was too loud - perhaps they've already adjusted that? (My last ride was on Thursday 11/8).

Oh, and I agree that it seemed like they amped-up the cannon ball splash effect - people and boats were getting wetter than I recall having seen for at least many years ...

mitchk

It's wetter in the attack scene. I was there in sept. before the additions, but the splash from the cannon balls was bigger than I have ever seen,or felt.

Marc Gil

I noticed that the cannons were more aggressive, as far as the mermaids go, I liked the effect, but their song could have be lowered a bit. I miss the grotto music from the 2006 refurbishment. They should used both in the ride. What was the point of turning the waterfalls off? I've noticed this twice: Once in September (Labor Day Weekend.) and again on the 27th of October. Is it technical difficulties or no more waterfalls?

Rum Pirate

On a separate note, how does one get one of those fancy dancy titles under their name on the deal on the left
<-------------

Apparently im not cool enough to be anything but a member

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
On a separate note, how does one get one of those fancy dancy titles under their name on the deal on the left
<-------------

Apparently im not cool enough to be anything but a member
The titles change with the number of likes you have and the number of posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom