Here come the mermaids

Zipadeelady

2012-10-20-6546b.jpg

Why do the bones of the tail all point the same direction?? They all curve to the right. Wouldn't the bones splay out in equal directions. This is a plus but also a decline by a degree. So it is a wash. I think this mermaid was an easy catch it, had a tendency to swim in circles.

Not the picture size I wanted...

Really?.....I mean Really? Is this sarcasism? If so sorry, if not it's getting hard to read all the complaining and whinning about this and that at Disney. I think this mermaid looks AWESOME!! This has been my vent for the day unfortunately you just happened to be the post i took it out on.

Uncle Lupe

Really?.....I mean Really? Is this sarcasism? If so sorry, if not it's getting hard to read all the complaining and whinning about this and that at Disney. I think this mermaid looks AWESOME!! This has been my vent for the day unfortunately you just happened to be the post i took it out on.

First, welcome to the boards! I agree that this looks awesome. I just find it hard to believe that with all the brilliant minds involved with this project that somebody didn't notice. Don't worry about what you say everyone needs to vent and I enjoy a good tongue lashing.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
2012-10-20-6546b.jpg

Why do the bones of the tail all point the same direction?? They all curve to the right. Wouldn't the bones splay out in equal directions. This is a plus but also a decline by a degree. So it is a wash. I think this mermaid was an easy catch it, had a tendency to swim in circles.

Not the picture size I wanted...
Here is my take on it. Given that half the boat is missing, from what I can assume is being washed away, the tide at time rises and washes through the cavern. This flow washed the fins of the mermaid that direction befor rigamortous set in. That is why they are all going one direction.

CSI:WDW.

Zipadeelady

First, welcome to the boards! I agree that this looks awesome. I just find it hard to believe that with all the brilliant minds involved with this project that somebody didn't notice. Don't worry about what you say everyone needs to vent and I enjoy a good tongue lashing.

Thanks for understanding and not taking it personally. ;) When typing sometimes it comes across more rude than it was meant.

gwhb75

Here is my take on it. Given that half the boat is missing, from what I can assume is being washed away, the tide at time rises and washes through the cavern. This flow washed the fins of the mermaid that direction befor rigamortous set in. That is why they are all going one direction.

CSI:WDW.

Or, how about since Mermaids aren't real, there is no real way to determine what their skeletal structure would be?;)

EPCOTCenterLover

I like the effect. Now, I've only seen it on video. The subtleness of it all- excellent. I think it is the abundance of detail and smaller effects that make rides like Pirates and Mansion highly repeatable.

Just got back and love the mermaid addition. The song adds to what was once just storm sounds. The mermaid in the boat is very well done and fits with the other skeletons. The projections were not working well or maybe they are just supposed to look like slight movement in the water.It was not clear that it was a mermaid in the water just something moving. Still feels like the original POTC. More so than the addition of davy jones or black beard fog, which is a noticeable diffrence in the technology of the ride.

janoimagine

If everything's so terrible, then why do you still visit?

Sorry to be blunt; however, I am quite confused.

Also, have you actually seen it in person? OR just via YouTube videos? I do care about the quality of things...when I have actually seen them in person...

I saw it in person about 7 times last week and it is a really weak effect at best. I am all for plussing an attraction but Disney typically sets the bar for realisim and imersion ... this time they missed by a mile ... this looked like it was shoehorned into the attraction because someone wanted to sell more DVD's.

lebeau

I saw it in person about 7 times last week and it is a really weak effect at best. I am all for plussing an attraction but Disney typically sets the bar for realisim and imersion ... this time they missed by a mile ... this looked like it was shoehorned into the attraction because someone wanted to sell more DVD's.

Agreed. Saw it last week. Mega "meh". However, we did get a lot wetter on the ride than we used to. Is it just us or did they amp up splashes from cannonballs, etc. Our boat was soaking wet when we got in and it was only 9:00 am.

JLipnick

Agreed. Saw it last week. Mega "meh". However, we did get a lot wetter on the ride than we used to. Is it just us or did they amp up splashes from cannonballs, etc. Our boat was soaking wet when we got in and it was only 9:00 am.
also rode it last week and noticed the mermaid skeleton and the new mermaid songs, but I did not notice the mermaids in the water. will have to check next time we are there in January. i thought it was a nice and needed addition as it is a little boring in that area. not much going on. but we did notice we got much wetter than we have in the past from the cannon balls landing in the water.

muteki

I'll second the part on the splashes, we got hit by cannonball splashes quite a bit last trip. Also got hit with a burst of air from a cannon once, which has never happened to me before (I didn't think they were aimed that low).

We saw the Mermaid effect off and on. Some rides would have it, some wouldn't (at times right after each other). The projection is, well, pretty much what you would expect. I did think it was neat they added in little jets to splash up water when the mermaids flicked their tails to go back underwater though.

lebeau

also rode it last week and noticed the mermaid skeleton and the new mermaid songs, but I did not notice the mermaids in the water. will have to check next time we are there in January. i thought it was a nice and needed addition as it is a little boring in that area. not much going on. but we did notice we got much wetter than we have in the past from the cannon balls landing in the water.

I'll second the part on the splashes, we got hit by cannonball splashes quite a bit last trip. Also got hit with a burst of air from a cannon once, which has never happened to me before (I didn't think they were aimed that low).

We saw the Mermaid effect off and on. Some rides would have it, some wouldn't (at times right after each other). The projection is, well, pretty much what you would expect. I did think it was neat they added in little jets to splash up water when the mermaids flicked their tails to go back underwater though.

It sounds like the projections weren't working/running when we rode it. We saw the skeleton and heard the song. But that was it. No one in my group even noticed the addition but me.

We did get the air blast as well. The effects in that scene seem to have been ramped up which is kind of cool but the ride has gotten a lot wetter. I'm not sure how welcome that is. It's also a bit louder/more scary to little kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom