Here come the mermaids

Rum Pirate

Rode PotC again yesterday for the third separate day since the mermaid addition, thought it's been about a month since my last ridethrough. I nor my sister heard "Jolly Sailor Bold" at all.
Has anyone else had this happen? Was it a fluke or will it be permanently gone?

Just my opinion:
I would be delighted if it was gone for good. I love the quietness in those scenes before the drop. The song was always pretty grating even in the movies, and I love sea shanties so that's saying quite a bit.

Its back, some issues have been poppin up, the "magic" is back

PhotoDave219

I actually enjoy the effect and find it adds to a dead spot in the ride & adds a little more creepyness.

As for Photos? There's no way to photograph that effect. Can't be done.

****** SPOILER ALERT ****** (In case the spoiler tag doesnt work)

All the effect consists of is a video projected on bubbles, followed by a splash. Thats it. Blink & you'll miss it.

Sped2424

I went friday and the song is still there and as for a splash I never really felt any even on the first day the mermaids were there, the water is constantly foaming and bubbling so maybe Thats what happened.

Bairstow

The splash is never large enough to get anyone in the boat wet.
You might be able to hear it, but certainly not feel it.

LithiumBill

Rode this three times over the Holidays, and had to really struggle and point to people in order to catch the mermaid visibly... it's just MEH, IMO...

Prof Ecks

Just saw Mermaids last week. Really liked the effect a lot.

As an aside, the first time we rode POC the dog in the final season was missing his ear. It was pretty hilarious. The poor dog's ear was laying there beside him and it looked like he was wearing headphones or a bluetooth because you could see the device that held the ear on! Told the CM at exit. It was fixed when we went back again later that day.

Skibum1970

Just watched it on Youtube since I'm unable to make the trip for a few months. I always loved the haunting refrains of the "A Pirates Life For Me" played on the flute or pan-pipe. I acknowledge that it is hard to have a good conclusion from a video but I already dislike the fact that they replaced that song with a song from "On Stranger Tides".

Yankee Mouse

Just watched it on Youtube since I'm unable to make the trip for a few months. I always loved the haunting refrains of the "A Pirates Life For Me" played on the flute or pan-pipe. I acknowledge that it is hard to have a good conclusion from a video but I already dislike the fact that they replaced that song with a song from "On Stranger Tides".

I agree. The effect itself is good, and just enough, but I wish they hadn't switched songs.

HMF

The Flute version of Yo Ho was not an original 1973 element. In the original WDW ride all you heard was a clap of thunder and the Dead Men Tell No Tales voice echoing creating a truly foreboding atmosphere. In 2006 when the flute music was added it made the scene feel eerily soothing rather than foreboding. Jolly Sailor Bold helps to bring the scene back to the foreboding atmosphere WED originally intended. Also the Flute version of Yo Ho is still in the ride both at the entrance to the caverns and during the Hurricane Lagoon scene.

BarbieTourGuide

I think the changes will be great if they are able to add in the other films. I especially loved On Stranger Tides! If they could add some of the details from that movie it could be even more popular! :)

Bairstow

The Flute version of Yo Ho was not an original 1973 element. In the original WDW ride all you heard was a clap of thunder and the Dead Men Tell No Tales voice echoing creating a truly foreboding atmosphere. In 2006 when the flute music was added it made the scene feel eerily soothing rather than foreboding. Jolly Sailor Bold helps to bring the scene back to the foreboding atmosphere WED originally intended. Also the Flute version of Yo Ho is still in the ride both at the entrance to the caverns and during the Hurricane Lagoon scene.

I'm not a fan of either one, since they both stick out like a sore thumb when you're familiar with the original ride recordings.
Of course, with Johnny Depp and the awful Klaus Badelt theme everywhere it's kind of lost cause at this point.

See, what I wish they would add to the first area of the ride are the interrupted stories from the "ghostly recordings" made but unused for the Disneyland original. Of course, it would fit a lot better at California, in the treasure rooms, but if you were to use many, many hidden speakers to have the voices come from all directions it could be a really neat effect.

http://www.tellnotales.com/audio.php

HMF

I'm not a fan of either one, since they both stick out like a sore thumb when you're familiar with the original ride recordings.
Of course, with Johnny Depp and the awful Klaus Badelt theme everywhere it's kind of lost cause at this point.

See, what I wish they would add to the first area of the ride are the interrupted stories from the "ghostly recordings" made but unused for the Disneyland original. Of course, it would fit a lot better at California, in the treasure rooms, but if you were to use many, many hidden speakers to have the voices come from all directions it could be a really neat effect.

http://www.tellnotales.com/audio.php
It would not make sense in the WDW Version since no time-travel occurs in the WDW Version unlike the DL version.http://strangefrighteningsoundsblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-ravaging-rant-about-pirates-of.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom