Here come the mermaids

Bairstow

They look nice in person.
Also, what you can't tell from the videos is that the rippling "screen" created by the bubbles produces a pretty good illusion of the mermaids being 3d, especially combined with the little splash their tails make at the end of their animation cycle.
I'm waiting for the installation of the barker sparrow at the main entrance.

lol

Calvin Coolidge

I'm pretty sure this is the only change to POTC in the past decade I've liked. I think it's an actual improvement, unlike, say, adding that weird Davy Jones mist thing or adding Johnny Depp to every scene. Unless it looks considerably worse in person than on Youtube, I think it's an exciting feature that adds some dynamism to the caves and sets a great mood for the rest of the ride.

I wish they'd turn down the volume on the mermaid song, and reduce the frequency of the projections, though.

mmalloy56

I'm pretty sure this is the only change to POTC in the past decade I've liked. I think it's an actual improvement, unlike, say, adding that weird Davy Jones mist thing or adding Johnny Depp to every scene. Unless it looks considerably worse in person than on Youtube, I think it's an exciting feature that adds some dynamism to the caves and sets a great mood for the rest of the ride.

I wish they'd turn down the volume on the mermaid song, and reduce the frequency of the projections, though.

I agree. The mermaids are a nice touch. And while I understand the thought process behind Disney adding elements from the other PotC movies, I don't think they were necessary. I'm sort of dreading what might happen after the release of Pirates 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...

Also, this is my first post on the WDWMagic forums. Happy to be here.

MagicMike

I just find it odd that prior to the change, people were saying please don't change Pirates, leave it alone. And now it's done and people are like, It's not clear enough, it should be more prominent.

The door of change was opened for this attraction when the first movie was a colossal success and apparently was never shut. People also tend to forget the ride altering began even before the movie franchise hit theaters in an effort to "PC" it up. It has been a very long time since you could ride the "original" Florida PotC.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't like the idea of more movie stuff getting added to the ride, but if it's going to happen (and it will) then make the change worth it. Make it impressive or at least something people are wow'ed by. Take the addition of Jack for example, while some people hate how his presence alters the story, you can't deny the level of animatronics are superb.

I know this was never intended to be a major change but when dealing with one of the most beloved and well known attractions in all of Disney, people will always have high (possibly unreasonable) expectations. I guess what I'm really saying is "If you're going to be a bear, be a Grizzly bear".

Disclaimer: Yes, I have watched the video. No, I have not seen it in person. I can imagine it is much better than the video, and its reviews, lead everyone to believe.

Vader2112

. People also tend to forget the ride altering began even before the movie franchise hit theaters in an effort to "PC" it up. It has been a very long time since you could ride the "original" Florida PotC.
I hear you loud and clear. People tend to forget the pirate used to chase the woman around. The PC police took away a good deal of "pirateyness" a long time ago!

Uncle Lupe

2012-10-20-6546b.jpg

Why do the bones of the tail all point the same direction?? They all curve to the right. Wouldn't the bones splay out in equal directions. This is a plus but also a decline by a degree. So it is a wash. I think this mermaid was an easy catch it, had a tendency to swim in circles.

Not the picture size I wanted...

GeorgiaPinesRJB

2012-10-20-6546b.jpg

Why do the bones of the tail all point the same direction?? They all curve to the right. Wouldn't the bones splay out in equal directions. This is a plus but also a decline by a degree. So it is a wash. I think this mermaid was an easy catch it, had a tendency to swim in circles.

Let's not be too nitpicky. If the mermaid died in position that had the tail pointed in a certain way...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
2012-10-20-6546b.jpg

Perhaps she was dragged in from her left, leaving the tail pointing to her left. There also appears to be a net under her....the tail could have been entangled in the net.

Axle1986

You're seriously nit picking about the tail design of a minor imaginary creature prop piece?? Really?

Uncle Lupe

The tail bones are not disconnected or folded over but in a straight line and pointed in the same direction. Wouldn't some of the bones need do be disconnected to have a chance of all pointing the same. Going with the folded over in net theory? But they are mythical so maybe they can change their bone structure at will.

These things all add up to a decline in show. First generic Coke cups and now possibly ignoring mythical biology.

HMF

Speaking only for myself, I didn't like the idea of more movie stuff getting added to the ride, but if it's going to happen (and it will) then make the change worth it. Make it impressive or at least something people are wow'ed by. Take the addition of Jack for example, while some people hate how his presence alters the story, you can't deny the level of animatronics are superb.
My real issue is not that they put Jack Sparrow in the ride, It's that they changed the premise of the ride to revolve around him and in a nonsensical way at that.

Bairstow

Perhaps she was dragged in from her left, leaving the tail pointing to her left. There also appears to be a net under her....the tail could have been entangled in the net.

csipirates.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom