Help!!!!

geordie

Im about to visit WDW for the first time :) but im overwhelmed by the amount of hints, tips and general advice found on websites....is there anybody willing to help my overloaded brain...x

Erika

Wait- you have too much advice, so you're asking for more? :p

Here's mine:

Ask yourself what you want to get out of this vacation. Are you looking to relax or do you want a more fast-paced trip?

With that in mind, start making decisions about what you feel you absolutely MUST do, and what things you don't mind waiting on. You're never going to be able to do everything, so plan a few "musts" for each day and play the rest by ear.

Take it easy- you're on vacation!!!

Upvote 0

MerHearted

For a first trip, I say forget all the tips and hints and just show up and be ready for a grand adventure. For a first-timer, I can't imagine planning and learning everything I could about the place. Where's the fun in that? WDW is an amazing world with surprises around every corner. Just go and be taken in by magic and awe. :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

geordie said:
Im about to visit WDW for the first time :) but im overwhelmed by the amount of hints, tips and general advice found on websites....is there anybody willing to help my overloaded brain...x
Im sure we can all chime in with opinions, advice, good ideas etc. however that may only work for the individual who gave it!!! Id need to know a lot more information than you gave in order to help you, such as when you are going, where you are staying, how old you are, are any kids going with you, how old are they, The list just goes on and on. Belle

Upvote 0

Coree

One thing I would suggest would be to pick up a copy of the Birnbaum's guide or spend some time on the Disney World Web site. Decide which things you absolutely don't want to miss. Are there rides you definitely want to ride--if there are, ride those first on whatever day you go to that park. Are there restaurants you absolutely have to try--if so, make priority seatings for those so you know you'll get in. Figure out the must-dos and be flexible with everything else. You don't want to overplan your first trip--gotta let yourself get caught up in the magic too!

Upvote 0

swimmom

I've been to WDW many times since 1972. On the first trip my husband & daughter & I took together, we had a very rough plan. Things we wanted to do, but no specific days. We planned as we went along and it worked out great. Now that we've all had many trips to WDW we make more definate plans for our trips.

Upvote 0

tigger248

MerHearted said:
For a first trip, I say forget all the tips and hints and just show up and be ready for a grand adventure. For a first-timer, I can't imagine planning and learning everything I could about the place. Where's the fun in that? WDW is an amazing world with surprises around every corner. Just go and be taken in by magic and awe. :wave:

I agree completely with that. Before I was, um shall we say "obsessed" :lookaroun , I never went with tips and such. Just always played it by ear. My brother and sister-in-law, went with too structured of a schedule. They read every tip and guide book they could get their hands on. Schedules are good things, but you should remember, that sometimes it's hard to follow set schedules at places like WDW because there are so many unknowns. For example, my brother and company left us in the dust more than once in an attempt to stay "on schedule". I know they were excited, but on one occasion we had already given our credit card to the waiter and were waiting for him to bring it back so we could sign our slip from breakfast. They couldn't wait the 1-2 minutes it would take us. I know that's extreme, but it is an example of how a schedule can take over.

What I'd recommend, look at what WDW has to offer and choose what you absolutely want to do. Then pick some things that you want to do, but wouldn't be heartbroken if time did not allow. That helps when deciding between a ride or two. Just ask yourself what you really want to see.

Remember, you won't see everything. It's a big resort. Besides, there's always next time. It makes for a perfect excuse to go back! :drevil:

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

wannabeBelle said:
Im sure we can all chime in with opinions, advice, good ideas etc. however that may only work for the individual who gave it!!! Id need to know a lot more information than you gave in order to help you, such as when you are going, where you are staying, how old you are, are any kids going with you, how old are they, The list just goes on and on. Belle

Another big question How long are you going for??

Upvote 0

LouDisney

MerHearted said:

I completely agree. Have a wonderful time and let us know how your trip went when you get back :)

Upvote 0

ecupiratefan72

I say, as someone earlier did, be sure to do the things at the very top of your list. The things you see on the video or find on here that you know you just have to experience. Along the way to see those things, just enjoy all the magical moments that happen. Walt Disney World is, in my opinion, the happiest place on earth, other than my home when the children are all asleep! So make note of the things you want to see, and then just roll with the magic. You will NEVER run out of things to enjoy!

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

As has been said above, if this is your first trip then you're gonna be overwhelmed.

I'd forget the tips and just go and do your thing. After your first trip I'm sure you'll be having plenty more and that's when the hints and tips come into there own.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I dont know about letting all of the tips & Stuff go. I Am a big fan of planning so that doesnt usually work for me. I certainly think you should map out the days you are going to be there, get the park hours for the same, events in each park on each day and then start to figure out what park you want to be in on which day. Within that I Am kinda free form, but I ALWAYS make my priority seatings before I leave home so I know I will have a nice sit down dinner at each of the parks. Allow 2 hours before the fireworks show for a comfortable sit down dinner if you want to catch all of the fireworks shows. Belle

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome to the Magic !!
Half the fun (well almost) of a trip to WDW is the planning. Unless your trip is for a month you're not going to see or do all of it. So, I would recommend making a list of must see / do attractions from each park and plan your visit accordingly.
You can find information on each park and attraction on this site (or there are others) or buy a good guide book (The Unofficial Guide is my favourite).
The most important thing is to enjoy your trip and don't do too much each day or at least pace yourself

Upvote 0
Geordie,

To plan or not to plan..that is the question.

It would probably help to know what kind of person you are...one that has to plan or one who is more easy going.

Welcome to WDWMagic..the best WDW discussion board out there.

Jordy

Upvote 0

MerHearted

Three years ago, I took my first trip. I was 19 years old and I had never had a vacation before. When my family was finally able to take one, I said I wanted to go to Disney World. I had always dreamt of that place and I wanted to see it, at least once in my life. I wasn't sure why. I knew absolutely nothing about it. All I knew was that it had a castle. That was it, I knew nothing else. I didn't know about any rides or shows and dining options or resorts or anything. And when we finally decided to go, we did zero planning whatsoever. We didn't even have a place to stay for the night when we arrived in Orlando. None of that really mattered (we ended finding a little motel a mile outside after the day was over). You'd think that would have been a disaster, but that couldn't be further from the truth. That day was the most magical day of my life. I stepped into Disney's gates without a clue in the world what to expect and I had the adventure of a lifetime. Magic can't be planned, it just happens. Around every corner, there was something new to surprise me, to take hold of me, to always cherish. With every moment, my eyes were wide opened and my mouth gaping in awe. My life forever changed that day. I spent another 2 days at Disney to complete my first trip. Looking back, it was an incredible experience I will never let go of. There's nothing I would change about it.

If you plan on taking more trips to Disney, save the planning for then. But for the first time, don't spoil this "whole new world" for yourself. :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

MerHearted said:
Three years ago, I took my first trip. I was 19 years old and I had never had a vacation before. When my family was finally able to take one, I said I wanted to go to Disney World. I had always dreamt of that place and I wanted to see it, at least once in my life. I wasn't sure why. I knew absolutely nothing about it. All I knew was that it had a castle. That was it, I knew nothing else. I didn't know about any rides or shows and dining options or resorts or anything. And when we finally decided to go, we did zero planning whatsoever. We didn't even have a place to stay for the night when we arrived in Orlando. None of that really mattered (we ended finding a little motel a mile outside after the day was over). You'd think that would have been a disaster, but that couldn't be further from the truth. That day was the most magical day of my life. I stepped into Disney's gates without a clue in the world what to expect and I had the adventure of a lifetime. Magic can't be planned, it just happens. Around every corner, there was something new to surprise me, to take hold of me, to always cherish. With every moment, my eyes were wide opened and my mouth gaping in awe. My life forever changed that day. I spent another 2 days at Disney to complete my first trip. Looking back, it was an incredible experience I will never let go of. There's nothing I would change about it.

If you plan on taking more trips to Disney, save the planning for then. But for the first time, don't spoil this "whole new world" for yourself. :wave:
How absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

disneytati

Hey, Geordie!
Are you going to WDW by yourself? How long are you staying? Maybe you should have at least an outline of not-to-miss stuff to guide you. You don't have to plan everything (although I just LOVE planning my trips!!!), but imagine if you go to the MK and you just don't see Wishes? Or Splash Mountain? That would be a disaster!!! :lol:

Upvote 0

CMWannabe

My first trip was to celebrate a significant birthday and at short notice so I didnt get much chance to plan, however, I did check out the times of the parades etc.. Depends when you go but some of the parades aren't on every day, and you really need to see them ?!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

disneytati

CMWannabe said:
My first trip was to celebrate a significant birthday and at short notice so I didnt get much chance to plan, however, I did check out the times of the parades etc.. Depends when you go but some of the parades aren't on every day, and you really need to see them ?!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

If I don't watch Spectromagic, I get soooooooooooo angry... And I have to watch Wishes... I just have to...... Man........... Oh, I love Wishes... :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom