Help with planning please!!

wingsmom99

Original Poster
Hi everyone! I'm new at this so please forgive me if I sound too dumb! My family and I (my parents,husband, and two children ages 5,6) are planning a trip to Disney on Sept 26- Oct 1. I plan on booking us a room at Disney Movies Resort and getting the Ultimate Park Hopper with the Prince/Princess Plan. I'm trying to plan our trip so that we get to see as much as possible and still enjoy ourselves (doesn't everyone!!) but I feel like as I'm planning this that I'm trying to do too much, so I was wondering if someone could take a look at this and see if there is anything I need to change or if there are just other ideas out there!!

Here's the schedule I had in mind:
Sunday: Check into All Star Movies, early (ie 8AM or thereafter) after getting our tickets I planned on heading to Epcot, I also wanted to do Downtown Disney this day.

Monday:Animal Kingdom with dinner at Chef Mickey's

Tuesday:MGM with Dinner at Hollwood & Vine with the Fantasmic Package

Wednesday : Mk with breakfast at Cindy's royal table

Thursday: MK again

Friday:checkout and lunch at Crystal Palace, also visit either Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom, on the way out of Disney probaly another stop at Downtown Disney too

I would like to also try to get to either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon too. And what about Disney Quest, would that be interesting to the little ones??

Anyway, thanks in advance from the advice

Sarah

ltbeach

IMHO, you need more days to do all that you have listed. my opinion of your schedule.

Sunday, ok, except you wont actually get into your room until the afternoon and im not sure you will get "done" with epcot and actually get to DD. and besides you dont want to miss illuminations do you?

Monday, sounds ok to me but leave early enough to allow travel to the contemporary.

Tuesday, sounds ok too

Wed, sounds ok, except are your kids going to be ok waiting until wed. to finally get to see the castle? remember, they will see it on monday at dinner, and will be filled with excitement.

Thurs. I always spend 2 days at MK anyway, so that sounds ok.

Friday. what are you going to do in the morning before lunch at crystal palace? your going to waste alot of time going from MK to AK. you may want to have lunch and then shop at DD, since you may not get there on sunday.

Remember that your hotel is near AK and there is a lot of travel time to MK

just my thoughts, anyone else?

wannabeBelle

Okay let me start off by saying I Am a bit of a traditionalist so that being said
Sunday- I would change this to MK. The most recognizable icon is the Castle and to see this first kinda really gives everyone I know the thought " Hey I am really here." EPCOT doesnt sound like a bad plan ( I love that park) but I still think MK may be the way to go. Definitely stay for the fireworks in whichever park you are in. I would skip DD and just relax back at the resort.
Monday-Now I would hit EPCOT. This is an amazing park and contrary to popular belief has more than enough to entertain the kids too. Catch the character bus over by the entrance to World Showcase and dont forget about the Kidcot fun stations in each country. Dinner is OK here or at the Contemporary.
Tuesday is fine exactly as you have it.
Wednesday- Awesome!! Dont forget to call 90 days otu and at 7 oclock in the morning for this one. it is THE toughest PS to get. It also requires a credit card deposit of $10.00 per person, so be prepared. Id also call for the first two mornings of your trip just in case you dont get this specific day!!! One woman on here put it best, she said it was like winning the lottery.
Thursday- Animal Kingdom- I put this here for no other reason than to break up the MK thing. great shows and attractions here. Make sure to catch Tarzan Rocks, Festival of the Lion King, and the Safari ( early in the morning is best for this)
Friday- Check out and MK for anything that you missed or the kids want to do again!! Let them each pick the favorite attraction and be sure to hit those two.
Also please remember all of this is subject to change based on your priority seatig arrangements for breakfast!! Also had you considered the Princess Storybook Breakfast in Norway as a backup in case you dont get Cinderella's Royal Table? Belle

miles1

As the dad of two little ones, I think you might be setting yourself up for some disappointment. WDW is a BIG place, and with two little ones and your parents (assuming they're of retirement age), its going to be hard to cover that much ground in the time you're allowing. The kids will get pooped much sooner that you think. Grandma and Grandpa will keep going, not to spoil the fun, but they will be hurting.

You should look at your local bookstore for "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". The writer is a little jaded about WDW, but it does give realistic touring plans and good suggestions about the pace you should keep.

My suggestions:

(I assume you have a car for your stay, travel between areas takes a lot of time).

Monday: Do MK all day while you have your stamina. Take a break, then Downtown in the evening.

Tuesday: Do a water park in the AM to recover, then go to MGM in the afternoon with Dinner and Fantastmic

Wednesday: Breakfast at Cinderella's (I assume you already have priority seating). Finish up MK, take a break, then Animal Kingdom. Hotel pool in the evening (kids will love it). Find one with a bar next to it.

Thursday: Get to EPCOT early. It will take all day. Take a break in the late afternoon, then return for Illuminations.

Friday: Leave it unplanned, so you can go back to catch anything you missed or want to see again.

Don't bother with Disney Quest. It's expensive and will mostly be over their heads.

Some other suggestions:

Ask Grandma & Grandpa every day if they want the day off. They may want to relax, but are afraid to ask for fear they'll spoil the fun. It's easy enough for them to catch up to you somewhere along the way, if they want.

Make sure you take some time for yourselves, if G & G can stay with the kids for a few hours. Maybe a nice dinner for two. You will need a break from the kids, and they from you.

I hope all of this helps. We're going again this year with our ten year old and three year old. We plan to take it MUCH slower than what we tried the last trip.

Have a great time.

First, if you are not going to DisneyQuest, Pleasure Island and both waterparks...the Ultimate Park hopper may not be for you. A park hopper plus may save you some money. Look into it.

We've gone with a mix of young and old before and everyone is right. Although you want to maximize your time, allow yourself plenty of time for rest. Staying on-site allows you the time to go back to your resort and rest...Since you are going during off-season, you won't encounter long lines so you will be able to accomplish alot in a short period of time and have time to relax.
remember also that hours are shorter...

Sunday: you can pre-check in and get your tickets and go to EPCOT. Again the parks won't be extremely busy. Plan on staying most of the day. Go back to All-Stars and get settled. DTD is open til 10 or 11 so you can relax before heading over.

Monday: Monday is historically early entry for AK. This benefit allows Disney Resort guests only into AK an hour before off-site guests. Nice benefit,BUT....Early entry days are also the busiest days. hours will probably be 9-5pm with early entry at 8. If you get there at 8 you can feasibly do most everything by 3pm. this will allow you time to go back to All Stars and nap. You can then go to Chef Mickey's for Disney

Tuesday: I would do MK this day since you have kids....spend the whole day there.

Wed: Maybe do a waterpark in the AM and then go MK in the PM

Thursday: MGM. Maybe go a little later 11am since you will be staying for Fantasmic.

Friday: Let your kids decide what they liked best and go there....

Hope this helps

CAPTAIN HOOK

Firstly - Welcome !!!

Now for the trip schedule. Nothing majorly wrong, but I think you need to do a little fine tuning with it.
1) You won't get everything on your list done.
2) Arrival day - do AK - it doesn't take a full day and this will give you time for a visit to DTD at night.
2) Monday - MK - you've got dinner just "down the road" and can easily return for Wishes
3) Tuesday - MGM keep this because of your dinner package
4) Wednesday - MK keep because of breakfast package. (this could be the afternoon to do a water park, depending on how much of MK you didn't see / do on Monday [or want to repeat])
5) Thursday - EPCOT - and Illuminations
6) Friday - Is lunch at CP booked ? This is your 3rd visit to MK and you may wish to reconsider and do another water park or DTD.
7) plan your schedule and look at what you NEED from your tickets - might not be practical to get ULTIMATE HOPPERS.
8) 2 youngsters and 2 oldies - a lot of walking and rushing about is going to make peole tired. the kids will need breaks (or are they in strollers) or they will get very upset and this will get everyone short tempered. Plan to take time out each day, consider returning to the resort for time in the pool OR plan your schedule in each park and don't try and do too much too soon.

Theres a lot to take in here AND a lot to think about - Time is on your side so discuss with everyone - Plan "MUST DO" rides and attractions within each park and take it from there.

Finally - have a great time :wave:

frazierle

IMHO you can overplan a trip. I personally almost ended up in a divorce, had the kids mad at me because of the daily scheduled items we didn't have a chance to "smell the roses" :). By the end of the second day I found myself at the parks, my wife and kids at the resort pool and was told what to do with the schedule. So although you may feel you are doing the right thing by organinzing and planning, I really feel you also need to be flexible. For a week trip we usually only pre-plan 2 meals before we go. Cindy's castle is the hottest ticket to get I would start calling 90 days prior to your trip starting on the first morning you are there. It may be that Friday before you get in, if you can get in.
Go with the flow with the kids and remember your on vacation and not a mission. You will not see everything in a week. We have averaged 3 to 4 trips to Disney a year over the last 4 years and just on our last trip spent an entire day at Epcot. It is an awesome place, but until the last trip did not have the kids full attention to spend a day there. We always start and end our vacations at MK. At the end of the day we decide where we are going the next and plan a PS somewhere in that park or may decide not to and do counter service. Allow everyone to have an equal voice when planning.
We have had trips where the entire week was spent at MK and only a day at AK and MGM. Moral of the story be flexible.

wingsmom99

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I defintely have a ton to think about! The only reason I had planned on waiting for Magic Kingdom was that I was afraid that once we did that, we wouldn't be able to do anything else! And I know that would be fine with the kids but my parents and my husband and I would like to do the other things too! I have been wondering about the Ultimate Hopper passes too, I think maybe they aren't going to be worth it. Someone mentioned the ages of my parents they aren't retirement age (47 &50) but they are certainly not able to keep up with my husband and I (28 &32). Is Epcot really an all day thing? I'm almost certain my children aren't going to be all that interested, I was there a while back and this was my least favorite place, but I guess anything is possible! Thanks again for all your wonderful advice!!

Sarah:wave:

wannabeBelle

Hey Wings , EPCOT a one day park....at least!!! The last time I went with kids ( 11,7 and 4 respectively) they adored EPCOT and for our next trip ( up and coming hopefully!!) we are planning on spending more time there. One time I had gone with my usual travel buddy and we literally did an entire day just in World Showcase doing all the movies, and attractions!!! There is a lot more there than most people think. One of my jewels that is a must see now ( usually 2-3 times on EPCOT day) is Off Kilter in the Canada Pavilion. I adore them!! I only found them last May!!! They have been playing there for a few years!!! I also enjoyed the bnand in the Mexico Pavilion. They were playing very Tex-Mex stuff, similar to Selena's type of music and they actrually did one or two of her songs. A great way to work off the HUGE breakfast I had that morning!! The singer invites the whole audience to come up and dance with her!! The point of the story is dont write off anything, you never know what you or the kids will like. Make sure to hit Innoventions, the kids will enjoy that!! And as I mentioned before the Kidcot FunStations are really cool for the kids. I should know I was right in there coloring, pasting and decorating my mask as well as two of the kids with me!! The middle guy was too shy but he took my mask after I got done with it!! Smart kid I tell ya!! Any more questions, please ask!! Belle

miles1

There are 11,258 members here.

I think if you leave this post here long enough, you will get 11,258 schedules to follow. Take your pick. :lol: :lol: Just have a good time.

dann

Dis Plans

Whatever Plans you make,understand that they will most likely
change once your trip unfolds.
Definitley make as many detailed plans and dinner ressies as you
can but dont be afraid to change them as situations change.
We've even changed dinner reservations that we had for 3 months after we got there because apark was more crowded than what we anticipated.Above all be flexible.
Dann:wave:

epcot2004

Too much planning for me. The only time we try to plan anything is if we are going off property. DisneyQuest would probably not be good for the kids, it's more for teens and up. Others have said if your not going to the waterparks or DisneyQuest that an Ultimate Hopper isn't necessary. Agreed, a Park Hopper Plus makes more sense to me. I to would leave the last day open to tie up any loose ends. On our past trip we went to Downtown to get shopping done so we didn't burn a park ticket for only 3 hours. Have fun!:)

DisneyPhD

I agree with most everyone one this. You won't have time to do it all. Having said that I recenlty did our 10th trip to WDW (with our 2 year old and 12 year old niece) and some close friends also with a 2 year old that have never been before. We had a great time. They loved the fact that we knew everything about it and where and when to go, but I was disapointed I didn't get to show them all I wanted to. My friend then said:

"We had tons of fun all day everyday, what more could you ask for? Besides it's fun to save something new for the next trip." We got them hooked.

If at all possible I would try to save some money on the tickets and add a day or too. This will help to relax your trip. With young kids some of the best times are just hanging out and enjoying the moment. Staying at AS movies is great (good price on location and the kids will love it.) As others said I don't think you need park hopper pluses. DQ is not worth it at that age, and you can buy one day passes to a water park, and save a lot of money (and don't do any other park that day, just relax and maybe hit DTD that night. Boardwalk or wacth the MK fireworks from the beach at Poly). Also, I don't know too much about the prince and princess packages, but most of the time you can save a lot of money buy doing it yourself. (putting this towards extra days.)

Planning is fine, but also allow for flexiblity. Remember PS is not set in stone (excet the CRT and a few other prepaid places.) Many times you don't need PS, or at least not until the day you go. (going at off times is great.)

Don't save MK until the end. Hit it near the start and revist before you leave. Unless you take advantge of EE days, don't go to that park that day. Make sure things are open that you want to do at EE or it isn't worth it. (MGM, Epcot and AK wasn't worth it for us to do early, only MK has enough open that our DD wanted to do.)

Yes, take more time for Epcot. It is worth it, tons of fun and we always leave wishing we spent more time there. They kids will have fun and this trip is for you too. (if it turns out you don't find you need more time there, then hay you have extra time on your hands for other things.)

We alway do lunch at CP and never have any problems if we don't have PS. Go that morning and ask for PS when it 1st opens. You get in right away, and the food is real fresh then.

Disneyfalcon

One more person with advice!:D

I agree with your reasoning for putting off MK. The unofficial Guide says the same thing. Our kids (6 & 9) enjoy all the parks but MK is definitely their favorite. At your kids age, once they've experienced MK, they might be disappointed in the other parks.

I used to agree with you about Epcot. I used to always save the least amount of time for Epcot and it was my least favorite park. But in the last couple of years it has changed. Test Track and Mission Space make it a whole new park for kids. Your kids will LOVE Test Track and probably MS too. If you ride those and take advantage of the Kidcot stations and Goofy's new scavenger hunt, your kids will have a great time at Epcot.

Finally, I'm in the minority with kids and Disney Quest. Mine love it. We took them for the first time at age 4 and 7 and they've begged to go back every time since. They like the river rafts they can ride on the bottom floor, Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin's Magic Carpets, the music recording studio, the magic mirrors, the mighty duck hockey, the cheesecake factory - oops that's me- , and all the free video games that normally cost 2- 3 a pop! So my advice, if your tickets include it, absolutely go try it!

marcie

florida discount books

i would strongly advise anyone to pick up a florida discount coupon book on you way to disney or before you make reservations. i just got back from disney and we found a coupon for the best western in the disney village for 65.00 a night. usually the rate is well over a hundred dollars. when we first made the reservations they quoted us the usual price until i mentioned the coupon then the price dropped to 65.00. i was very shocked to find a hotel in the disney village with such a good rate. we were also on the 12th floor wich gives you a great view of the epcot fireworks. it takes some investigateing but you can sometimes find a really good deal,and of corse staying on disney property is the way to go.

crazydaveh

Remember you will need to rest! You will get very tired by the 3rd or 4th day!!!

Have fun, but remember to take some time out to rest!!! The tired/grumpy syndrome hits families all the time! It's fun to watch, so I would do what you want to do, have fun, but get a lot of rest!

Just my thoughts!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Always a Challenge

Good suggestions already presented. As a number have said, forget Disneyquest and probably Downtown Disney for the kids and travel time necessary. I would also suggest not worrying about a water park with the current ages...resort pool during midday break would be just fine.

Yes, plan for mid-day breaks! You will All be happy for it. Try to get to your planned destination at opening, predetermine the main one or two rides/shows you want to do and coast the rest of the morning. Go back to the room to relax/swim for an hour or so before going back out...the parks slow (a little) mid afternoon, plus you have the parades.

One thing that you may enjoy for one of your dinners is the Hoop De Do Review dinner show. Would be enjoyed by all in your party. Also at MGM I suggest one of the Fantasmic dinner packages. It gives you special admission and seating for the show...otherwise you need to get there 1-1 1/2 hours before the show and just sit. Not good for the young and old.

Even though your kids are a little older, consider strollers...it is a heck of a lot better than carrying them in the afternoon or having them dragging. They can also do a personal "drop off" if needed.

Know up front that you can't do it all in the time alotted and with the group you are travelling with. Enjoy and plan to do more on future trips!

J

joviacdan

Sounds good - I agree with starting off with Epcot first. Alot of people won't agree on that, but I like it. especially with kids. If you take them to magic Kingdom right away, Epcot may pale by comparison.

If you wanna hit a water park, try and do it the same day you go to Animal Kingdom. Although this is the biggest of the theme parks, you'll probably find it won't take you more than half a day to see all there really is to see there.

I think it sounds good. You may just want to make sure you're allwoing yourself time at night to catch Wishes and Spectromagic at the MK, and Illuminations at Epcot.

Have a great time!

wannabeBelle

I repectfully disagree about the water park and AK thing on the same day. I think AK is slowly but surely becoming a full day thing. I think there is a lot to see and do and as it is a relatively warm park you dont want to rush thru it. Also please remember that the park closes relatively early so you dont want to be somewhere else in the morning. I do agree DD might be a good idea afterwards though. Arrange for dinner at one of the places in DD ( Rainforest Cafe, Fulton's Crab House, Bongo's etc) and then do some shopping and sightseeing there. That sounds like a full day for me!!! Belle

J

joviacdan

There's no doubt you could easily spend an entire day at Animal Kingdom. Sorry if I insulted any AK fanatics out there.

I just think there are alot of things that don't appeal to everyone's tastes. There aren't as many "must sees" there as there are at the other parks.

I get there on an early opening day, do 'It's tough to be a Bug", get over to Dinoland, do everything over there, do the safari, kali river rapids, etc.....I think some of those things, with younger kids, might not get done.

Thus, the extra time you'd have to spend in a water park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom