Help me convince my parents to go...

NewfieFan

Help me convince my parents to go... *Update*

I'll try to give you the "Reader's Digest" condensed version of our story here...

I have a trip planned with my family (me, DH, DS, & DD) for September. My brother (the one and only) is also coming with us. Now, I live fairly close to my parents and do get see them quite often during the year. But my brother lives very far away and it's been a year already since my parents have last seen him. Now for the sad part of the story, my brother was planning on getting married in June but unfortunately (due to details I will leave out of the story) that has all been canceled. The trip to WDW was actually going to be their honeymoon. Now my brother still plans to go on the trip. He says, he still needs something to look forward to and he wants to spend some quality time with his only niece and nephew. Anyways, my parents were supposed to be traveling to see him for his wedding but that is obviously not happening!

I think my parents should come to WDW with us! I don't know when they're going to see my brother again (He has no plans to travel home). And I don't know when their only two children will be on vacation together (of course their only two grandchildren will be there as well)!!! My parents usually try to take one vacation a year and now they don't have a trip planned for this year. I think this would be a great chance for our family to be all together in light of the situation!

Normally I wouldn't have to convince my parents to go to WDW. (They have been there before but their last trip was 15 years ago!) My dad loves Florida and WDW (he was the influence that turned me into the Disney nut that I am!) My mom on the other hand is not crazy about WDW or Florida. Don't get me wrong she has enjoyed her vacations in the past (especially when me and my brother were kids) but she's not one for the heat and she doesn't do many rides. My dad is getting a little older and he's concerned that he won't be able to handle the heat like he use to. I still think this would be a great vacation for them. I think their problem is they are comparing this trip to trips in the past. Unfortunately, all our trips in the past were very rushed and we only spent one day at each park - so of course we ran around like a "bunch of chickens with our heads cut off", exhausted at the end of the day!:snore: This doesn't sound like an attractive vacation to them anymore! But we're going for 10 nights and I'm trying to convince them that it will be different this time and they'll have time to relax, do what they want when they want, go back to the hotel to rest, etc... They've never stayed on site before and they've never really eaten at Disney before either. This will be such a different Disney experience for them - how do I convince them to go!?!

Thanks for your help (sorry, didn't mean to write a novel)!:wave:

*UPDATE*

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts and suggestions. I brought it up with my mom last night using some of tactics and ideas that some of you posted here and... she called this morning and said they want to come!!!:sohappy: She's already called her work to she if she can get the time off (which shouldn't be a problem) and they want to come for the whole 10 nights. I've already changed a few of my ADRs to include them.

So, now you all have to tell me what to plan for my folks!:) Like I've already mentioned I've added them to a couple of our TS meals and I've planned a couple with just them and my brother. Now I want to pick out a couple TS restaurants for them to eat alone... so much planning (but it's fun:animwink:)! If you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears. Actually, you can give out any advice (restaurants or anything else) that you think I might need!

Thanks everybody!:kiss:

jsdratm

Judging by the number of seniors I have seen down there, those claims about not being able to handle the heat don't hold water. Florida is a top retiree spot so clearly a lot of people are able to handle the heat. There are rides and attractions for everyone, and if they don't want rides, they can watch the shows.

When all else fails, drive up there, tie them up, and throw them in the back of a van and drive them down there. :fork:

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Judging by the number of seniors I have seen down there, those claims about not being able to handle the heat don't hold water. Florida is a top retiree spot so clearly a lot of people are able to handle the heat. There are rides and attractions for everyone, and if they don't want rides, they can watch the shows.

When all else fails, drive up there, tie them up, and throw them in the back of a van and drive them down there. :fork:

We're flying... so would security have a problem with me dragging my tied up parents onto a plane (that's not suspicious:lookaroun)!:ROFLOL:

And yes I agree there are a lot of seniors that hang out in Florida. They're just like the birds - they go south for the winter!:lol:

Upvote 0

jjgoo

I'll offer a couple of suggestions. I hope it helps because it sounds like it could be a wonderful trip.

First September is a difficult month in terms of heat. I have been in Florida in Sept. when it has been wonderfully warm and comfortable and when it has been opressively humid. The comfortable would be great, but let them know if it is very humid, they can hang out by the pool, take in an air conditioned show or there are so many places to explore with AC.

I would suggest buying them a guidebook for Seniors. That might let them know how much there is for them.

Remind them that WDW is not about just the theme parks. They can golf, fish, go boating and a bunch of other things. WDW is a resort complex that also has the best theme parks in the world.

With cell phones and advanced dining reservations, you don't have to worry about sticking together all the time to get together. They can sleep in or going exploring. If they get easily tired walking you can rent wheel chairs or those little scooters. I think it was 20 years ago now that my grandfather pushed my grandmother (who could walk by had knee problems) all around MK and Epcot. A lot of walking can be overcome.

As for rides, my wife at 32 does not like fast rides (she even is not fond of the little drop on Pirates). She has a ball at WDW there are more rides than you think that are neither fast nor jarring. Maybe get some maps and point out all the "slow" rides and shows to your parents.

Of course one last thing I would do is have your kids work on them. Guilt can be a powerful motivator. Maybe it is a little underhanded to use your kids to guilt your parents into taking a trip, but it is with very good intention.

Good luck!
:wave:

Upvote 0

disney21

I'll offer a couple of suggestions. I hope it helps because it sounds like it could be a wonderful trip.

First September is a difficult month in terms of heat. I have been in Florida in Sept. when it has been wonderfully warm and comfortable and when it has been opressively humid. The comfortable would be great, but let them know if it is very humid, they can hang out by the pool, take in an air conditioned show or there are so many places to explore with AC.

I would suggest buying them a guidebook for Seniors. That might let them know how much there is for them.

Remind them that WDW is not about just the theme parks. They can golf, fish, go boating and a bunch of other things. WDW is a resort complex that also has the best theme parks in the world.

With cell phones and advanced dining reservations, you don't have to worry about sticking together all the time to get together. They can sleep in or going exploring. If they get easily tired walking you can rent wheel chairs or those little scooters. I think it was 20 years ago now that my grandfather pushed my grandmother (who could walk by had knee problems) all around MK and Epcot. A lot of walking can be overcome.

As for rides, my wife at 32 does not like fast rides (she even is not fond of the little drop on Pirates). She has a ball at WDW there are more rides than you think that are neither fast nor jarring. Maybe get some maps and point out all the "slow" rides and shows to your parents.

Of course one last thing I would do is have your kids work on them. Guilt can be a powerful motivator. Maybe it is a little underhanded to use your kids to guilt your parents into taking a trip, but it is with very good intention.

Good luck!
:wave:

This is what my parents did to convince my grandparents to come with us to Disneyland a couple years ago. Once they heard my sister and Ibegging for them to come , they pretty much gave in. I agree that Mentioning scooters are available and there's a wide variety of things to do in disney may help you out as well.:wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Without asking for details (and this is just me playing Devil's Advocate) is it possible your parents not wanting to go might, in part, have something to do with the wedding being cancelled? There might be wounds that they're nursing, they may have been genuinely excited about the impending nuptials, and are now really disappointed, even if the cancellation is totally 100 percent not your bro's fault.

If that's a factoran then it might best for veryone - esp. your brother - if mom & dad don't come.

If that's not a factor at all, don't use guilt or emotional blackmail beyond telling your folks you love 'em, you'll miss 'em if they don't go, and if they do go, it's their vacation, too. They don't have to do anything they don't want to. They never have to step foot in the parks if they choose not to. They can seperate from the group, go shopping, resort hopping, loug poolside, spa treatments, whatever they want, you'll be happy just to share a few meals & and maybe a fireworks cruise with them.

If tha doesn't work, don't waste precious energy on them anymore, just focus on YOUR vacation.

Upvote 0

jacstangler

convince the parents

Hi to all: I am not sure how old your parents are but I am going to be 64 in
July and the Disney nut in our family. We are leaving 4/2 and am getting
very excited listening to the music etc. The parks can be difficult for older
people expecially in the heat. The idea about a seniors book is great. Get
one of the vacation videos for them to see what is going on now at WDW. Work with them on a possible plan if they go. Llimit there time in
the parks to early morning or night. Downtown Disney is relaxing especially early in the morning but not on weekends. They may think they have to
spend all the time with you. Assure them that will not be the case. Try
to make a special ADR for just the two of them somewhere quite and
special. Visit some of the other resorts with them. That is cool and to me
a lot of fun. Take a side trip to Celebration. It is a very laidback city that
Disney built. If all else fails have them contact me and I will talk them into
it.

John

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

I have to agree with Slappy on this one.

I don't think you should have to talk anyone into going. If you do, then it seems like it's more that you want them to be there than they want to be there. And what fun is that for anyone? All you'll do is worry that they aren't having a good time (and they might not be, if they are given a guilted into going) and you won't be able to focus on having a good time yourself. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I know you only want the best, but I think you need to consider how this will actually play out. Obviously, we do not know your family. But generally I've found if people go into something thinking they aren't going to enjoy it, it's likely they won't. This isn't true for everyone, but I've seen it happen often. Maybe try to plan something else if you're concerned about getting the family together. But don't force anything, all that does is risks causing more resentment. Go and enjoy it with the people who want to go, just my two cents.

Upvote 0

stitchsMom

For the first time my family (sister, BIL, and my parents) are going on a WDW trip together. My parents are not big fans of heat, nor of crowds - yet we are going right over the July 4th holiday! For my Dad, the hook to getting him to agree to go was that it would be our first family trip in almost 20 years, and this time it would be with his daughters and their spouses and the grandkids. Though my parents are no where near old (55& 65) they both have gained a healthy respect for how quickly time can escape us, with the passing of their own parents. As suggested above, I assured my parents that they could do as they pleased, and need not feel as though they must race from park to park with us. We planned our trip days out so that once each day we did something simple all together (i.e. a meal, a show, fireworks, etc.) and left them with a couple guidebooks. I do not know how, or even if, you have presented the trip idea to your parents, but I have learned that appealing to the heart and sense of family togetherness breaks all barriers... Since we booked our trip my Mom has had many moments of joyful tears as she is thrilled we are taking this trip together.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Thanks for all your thoughts, suggestions, insights, etc. Whether you agree or disagree I appreciate you taking the time to respond! As far as forcing my parents to go I would never do that! I am trying to convince them to go - not force them! Trust me, my parents wouldn't do anything they didn't want to do! If I did change their minds, they would be going b/c they want to go. The reason I think they should go is b/c I know my parents and when we (my family) and my brother return from a wonderful vacation they are going to regret not going. They are a little disappointed about the wedding cancellation but I think this trip would help with that b/c a lot of the disappoint is the fact that they won't be seeing their son now! So, this is a way for them to get to spend some alone time with him and us (grandkids included). I think the only thing that is keeping them from saying "yes" is their preconceived ideas about Disney!!! As I've mentioned all their trips in the past have been very rushed, tiring vacations. Now that they're older, vacations like these are less appealing to them. (By the way, my parents are only in their 60s - I don't even consider them old!:animwink:) So, I just need a way to show them that this trip to Disney is going to be very different (in a good way). I want them to eat at nice restaurants (they've never done that at Disney), explore the other resorts (my dad would love this), relax by the pool, slowly walk around the parks and take it all in, etc. All these are things my parents would enjoy doing but they've never had a chance to on past vacations! I just want to show my parents there is a whole other side to Disney that they've never seen and experienced! AND we wouldn't be spending every minute together either! We're a family that gets along but we also know we need our space. I would love for my parents to have some great alone time together (they need it). Then at the end of the day (or whenever) we can meet and do some special things together. I just think life is too short to pass up this opportunity to spend some good quality time together!

Again, thanks for you thoughts. And any suggestions are greatly appreciated!:wave:

Upvote 0

barbara

Let them know its a great way to spend time with their family(Your own family reunion)-they don't have to be at a park all the time, show then what other things they can do besides the parks. Tell how wonderful WDW is when you see it through the eyes of a child. I bring a different grandson down every year, and I love it. It it gets too hot for them, let them know they can back to the hotel, and nap swim whatever. Order the WDW dvd for them, have them watch it.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I hope that they will change their minds because it sounds like a wonderful trip. Just keep talking to them & have the kids talk to them too. Hopefully they will go and see what Disney is all about now and how it has grown.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Last time I wanted to convince my dad to go with us he's fist answer was, "been there, done that, not going back." So I got out a guide book and filped thought the offerings of all the "other stuff" there is to do and asked my dad if he saw something in there that he would like to do one day that we hadn't done before.

He picked fishing so that's what we did. He loved it! When we got back to the resort the first thing he did was call some of his friends to tell them about how amazing the fishing was down there. When we got back, that is all told people about.

Upvote 0

mickeymaniacs

I know how you feel. My dad did not want to go either. He said there were better ways to spend his time but once he got there he loved it. He didn't do the parks alot but he loved the Lion King show at AK and the fireworks at MK plus he liked small world. He also hit the flea markets in kissimmee and did other things outside the parks. It's been 2 years and he's still talking about that trip. He always tell everybody that if you go to disney you have to go to AK. The safari would be a great selling point too. I know with my dad he went at first because the trip was paid for from my sister but now he talks about how he wants to go back. I think the video and the guide book would be a good idea to show them. Good Luck and I hope you have a great trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

mickeypal1

Last year I helped talk my aunt into going to WDW with her son and his family (including his 4 year old daughter). My aunt had that best time. She came back with lots of great stories. Unfortunately, about a month later she found out that she was dying of cancer and she died about a month or so after that. The great part of this story is that her granddaughter got to go to WDW with Grandma. She has many great memories and many great pictures. I am not trying to depress anyone but I am saying life is short. Try to get them to go as those are great memories that can't be taken away no matter what happens.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I'm with Slappy - there may be some valid emotional reasons your folks don't want to go. Go ahead, buy the guide for seniors at WDW, and let the kids talk the trip up a bit with them. However, if, after that, their answer is still no, let it go. I know, I know - the kids will be disappointed, and so will you, but guilt-tripping the folks into doing something they really don't want to do won't be fun for anyone.

Good luck. :wave:

Upvote 0

eroyee

Thanks for all your thoughts, suggestions, insights, etc. Whether you agree or disagree I appreciate you taking the time to respond! As far as forcing my parents to go I would never do that! I am trying to convince them to go - not force them! Trust me, my parents wouldn't do anything they didn't want to do! If I did change their minds, they would be going b/c they want to go. The reason I think they should go is b/c I know my parents and when we (my family) and my brother return from a wonderful vacation they are going to regret not going. They are a little disappointed about the wedding cancellation but I think this trip would help with that b/c a lot of the disappoint is the fact that they won't be seeing their son now! So, this is a way for them to get to spend some alone time with him and us (grandkids included). I think the only thing that is keeping them from saying "yes" is their preconceived ideas about Disney!!! As I've mentioned all their trips in the past have been very rushed, tiring vacations. Now that they're older, vacations like these are less appealing to them. (By the way, my parents are only in their 60s - I don't even consider them old!:animwink:) So, I just need a way to show them that this trip to Disney is going to be very different (in a good way). I want them to eat at nice restaurants (they've never done that at Disney), explore the other resorts (my dad would love this), relax by the pool, slowly walk around the parks and take it all in, etc. All these are things my parents would enjoy doing but they've never had a chance to on past vacations! I just want to show my parents there is a whole other side to Disney that they've never seen and experienced! AND we wouldn't be spending every minute together either! We're a family that gets along but we also know we need our space. I would love for my parents to have some great alone time together (they need it). Then at the end of the day (or whenever) we can meet and do some special things together. I just think life is too short to pass up this opportunity to spend some good quality time together!

Again, thanks for you thoughts. And any suggestions are greatly appreciated!:wave:
I think you should give them a copy of what you just wrote here. Its great!!

Upvote 0

smk

I'm with Slappy - there may be some valid emotional reasons your folks don't want to go. Go ahead, buy the guide for seniors at WDW, and let the kids talk the trip up a bit with them. However, if, after that, their answer is still no, let it go. I know, I know - the kids will be disappointed, and so will you, but guilt-tripping the folks into doing something they really don't want to do won't be fun for anyone.

Good luck. :wave:
Great advice! I would add this, ask them to join you for a few days, maybe the length of the trip seems daunting to them. After you have tried all of these things, let it go and have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom