help, Help, HELP....me decide...

H20Babie

AllEars has a good pro/con list, which I have pasted below (personally, I'm prefer on-site). Whatever you decide, remember you are on vacation!

Things to Consider When Making Your Choice

When attempting to make the choice of staying on-site or off-site, it is helpful to know the answers to the following questions:
  • What is my budget?
  • How far in advance am I planning?
  • How many people are in my party and what are their ages?
  • Do we want to all stay together in one room or suite or villa?
  • What hotel amenities are important to me?
  • Will I have my car/rental car?
  • Will I be spending most of my time visiting Disney attractions, or will I be visiting non-Disney attractions too?

Some Advantages and Disadvantages of Each Choice

Off-site Advantages:

• Generally better/larger accommodations for the same or a lower price.
  • More likely to find rooms in desired price range at the last minute.
  • Better access to restaurants, shopping and other non-Disney attractions.
  • NOT immersed in Disney Magic 24 hours a day.
  • Some hotels offer scheduled shuttle service to the parks.
  • Some hotels offer free breakfasts.
  • Many off-site hotels offer discounts to non-Disney attractions and restaurants.

Off-site Disadvantages:
  • Getting to and from the parks may be more difficult. This is more important if one plans to take afternoon breaks from the parks.
  • On peak holidays parking lot(s) at WDW might be closed.
  • Quality of the rooms varies; as does service.
  • Off-site guests must pay for parking at Disney theme parks if they drive unless they have an Annual Passport.
  • Shuttle service is limited at many hotels, some hotels share shuttles making the service very slow and/or crowded, and some hotels charge for using their shuttle service.
  • Hotel staff may be less familiar with Disney property.

On-site Advantages:

• Getting to and from the parks is generally easier. This is more important if one plans to take afternoon breaks.
  • Immersed in Disney Magic 24 hours a day.
  • Disney resorts offer wonderful theming.
  • Disney staff provides excellent service.
  • Properties are always clean and well-maintained.
  • Priority on tee times on Disney golf courses.
  • Room-charge privileges throughout WDW.
  • Ability to purchase Magic Your Way tickets.
  • Merchandise delivery to your Disney hotel.
  • Access to WDW's closed circuit TV information channels.
  • Unlimited use of WDW transportation system.
  • Magical Express transportation to/from airport to WDW Resort at no charge
  • Able to purchase Disney Dining Plan.

On-site Disadvantages:

• Rooms are more expensive.
  • Availability of budget-priced rooms is limited, especially at the last minute.
  • Dining is generally more expensive.
  • Getting to and from area's non-Disney attractions may be more difficult.
  • Going from resort to resort relying on Disney Transportation can be long and/or a hassle.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Are the restaurants you want to eat at on-site or off? How much time do you think you'll be spending at Pop or the off-site "suite?"

cowanfamily

The size of the room doesn't matter to me, because I'm never in it. I stayed on- site for a couple of years and then chose to rent a beutiful 5 bedroom house with a pool. I spent the entire week wishing I would have stayed on-site. It's just a different experience. You can stay at a hotel anywhere in the country. You don't always get the opportunity to stay at Disney.
The mass exodus out of the MK, to the boat/monorail, is enough to deter me from ever staying off site again. 5 min out of the park and I'm at my busstop. It will take you an hour to get from Wishes to your car. If your group is larger it will take longer.
Finally, my wife loves to shop in the parks, she uses the package delivery system very regularly and loves it.
If you can afford it stay on site. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy your trip!

juscet

I will ALWAYS stay on-site. The transportation is quicker and more consistent and the Disney resorts are beautiful. I know off-site resorts are cheaper but for me on-site may be more expensive, but soooooooo worth it.:)

Fizbain32

We have always stayed on site and have always recommended same to friends and family that could afford it. So if it comes down to a very close toss up, we would vote on site.

Wilt Dasney

I like how AllEars has being immersed in "the magic" and NOT being immersed as advantages on both lists. That really is true. Some people love it, and some people (yours truly) feel a bit suffocated by it. :lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Most of the details have been covered, so I'll try not to be too redundant. I don't do much in the rooms besides sleep and shower, so size doesn't mean much to me (although we usually do moderates) Coming in from off-property, you do have to travel a bit further and do need a rental car. There is also parking cost unless you are "familiar" like Lee..:lookaroun

On property you can use free transportation (not really an advantage for some), plus free transport from the airport. There is that emersion effect that is nice.

Ultimately, with my stomach thinking for me...if it comes down to a choice between preferred dining and staying on site....choice would be dining for me.

kimmychad

Staying onsite is more expensive, but I'm familiar with the Disney quality. I've had problems at off-site properties before and they didn't seem surprised there were bugs in my room.

However, I won't be held hostage by the transportation system, so I always rent a car. If i choose to use the busses or whatever, I do. whatever is more convenient. Trying to get from resort to resort for an early breakfast is very difficult.

todpatcam

We posed this same question to friends and family that had been to WDW in the past and the advice we received was ONSITE. We went in 08 and 09 and can't wait until our next trio 11/2010 and onsite is the only way to go. Maybe you can hold out for the possibility of free dining if they offer it this year.

MKCP 1985

Remember there are hotels off property with free parking that will run free shuttles to Disney parks.

Staying off site will be cheaper for you if you play it smart.

Personally, I would stay off site and save money on car/parking and meals given what you have shared.

papamouse1

It sounds like you have already done your research and know what off-site location you prefer (you might find cheaper, but cheaper isn't better offsite), and you are comparing your 2 preferences.

IF the Value is a wash cost-wise with the offsite location + rental car+ fuel etc....

and IF you don't spend extended time in your room and the suite is not a necessity...

Go for on site.

I know the discounts right now on doing the Value Resorts, etc. are amazing, and chances are they may not be around long, so this may be the best time to give it a go when you can break even or close to it. :)

p.s. the value resorts do have more reasonable food courts than other restaurants onsite

Wilt Dasney

Remember there are hotels off property with free parking that will run free shuttles to Disney parks.

Personally, I would stay off site and save money on car/parking and meals given what you have shared.

This sounds like a winner to me.

I've followed the OP's lodging inquiries for a while now, and he doesn't seem like the "pixie dust" type to me. This solution might be the best of both worlds: price plus convenience to Disney amenities.

And if you go this route and decide you'd rather have a car after the first day, you could probably rent one from your hotel or one within walking distance.

papamouse1

This sounds like a winner to me.

I've followed the OP's lodging inquiries for a while now, and he doesn't seem like the "pixie dust" type to me. This solution might be the best of both worlds: price plus convenience to Disney amenities.

And if you go this route and decide you'd rather have a car after the first day, you could probably rent one from your hotel or one within walking distance.

There may be others who can give a better perspective on this, but our personal experience with offsite shuttles has never been good.

...They only run shuttles at certain times and not all day like onsite, so trips back to hotel early, late trips to park, or trips back for dinner, etc are almost impossible
...They usually share a shuttle with multiple other hotels, so direct shuttles to offsite hotels are rare, unless you are staying at a ver high end place (which negates the point of saving $$). Your trip home to an offsite hotel could be very lengthy timewise.

I would defintely recommend if you are staying offsite and saving money, you need to invest in rental car or be very flexible about your time in the parks.

If anyone has some actual direct info about shuttle froma a particular hotel that was a good experience, that would be good to share.... ours just hasn't been good :)

jeffk410

On site always makes the most sense to me. You don't have to worry about traffic/parking/etc.
And by the time you add up the cost of the rental car, gas, parking etc, it probably evens out anyway.
I would much rather stay on site and enjoy Disney transportation.

You do have to worry bout traffic. On the bus systems. aha but My vote is still on-site.

bjlc57

Original Poster
well my wife did the math..

If we go by what we have been quoted... staying on base is less then $100 difference right now.. now that's what we have been quoted.. I think that we are going to book this week.. I will let you know the major outcome either way..

and I want to thank you all for posting.. My wife read the site while I was out of town and she isn't a big forum type of person..

I still will appreciate other responses.. and I am waiting for Lee to respond as well.. I hope that he gets' back to me..

thanks again..

disfan411

I have stayed on-site the past 4 years in a row. Pop century for three of those years and never had a problem there. I truly wouldn't stay off site. I like being in the whole disney experience. Another big huge plus that I love is using disneys magical express. Getting of the plane and then getting on a bus to the hotel and not having to worry at all about my bags. I am not worried about my room size because I mostly stay at the park for as long as I can. No matter your decision your going to have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom