HELP! 5 Hour Flight! Need Book Suggestions!

RyMelEm

We are flying non-stop from LAX to Orlando on a 5 hour flight! :hammer: Not looking forward to it at all, let me tell you. So I was wondering if you guys had any book suggestions. It can be new or old. Doesn't have to be Disney related either. And if you wouldn't mind jotting down what you liked about the book. Thanks so much!

Enderikari

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

Where have all the Leaders Gone - Lee Iacocca

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

A Pirate Looks at Fifty - Jimmy Buffett

______, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman

That's a good list to get you started

Upvote 0

lumpydj

Any of the Harry Potter books would keep you occupied for your trip if you're into those. If not, here are some suggestions:

Angels Fall - Nora Roberts: I found this book very gripping as it is a mystery. It kept you guessing until the end.

The Collectors - David Balducci (sp?): Another mystery with 3 story lines going at the same time. It was interesting to see how they all intertwined at one point or another.

Envy - Sandra Brown (I think): Mystery that swapped between the story and a story about the story. Hard to explain, but this was one of the best books I've ever read.

I'm not sure what kind of books you like but hope this helps. :wave:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Any of the Jimmy Buffett books are good, even the children's books. I'm a huge fan. :D

I just finished Scar Tissue which was an autobiography by Anthony Kiedis (don't know if you are a RHCP fan). That was a pretty good read.

I'm now onto a book my sis-in-law picked up for me on a sale table somewhere: Disney War. It's the author's chronical of the Eisner years and some of the corporate workings of the company. I'm only into the 1st chapter but it seems kinda interesting. Normally corporate hub-bub isn't my thing but this has my attention for now.

Also, go look for books about Walt. That would be an interesting intro to the trip.

Good luck on such a long flight. I've never done one that long. Buuut, next year if all goes to plan, maybe DL will be happening for us...

Upvote 0

SweetPea

Anything by Nicholas Sparks...that is if you don't mind sappy. Bring a package of tissues. If you're not familiar with him, he wrote the books Message in a Bottle, The Notebook and A Walk to Remember which have all been made into motion pictures. You can't go wrong with any of his books though. He's written more than a half dozen.

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

How about some Jane Austen? I know, sounds boring, but it's pretty easy to get into her novels. I'm currently reading Emma by Jane Austen and am loving it! The movie Clueless was based on it and I find it to be pretty funny and interesting. Like someone else said, start up the Harry Potter books if you haven't started them already. Bring the first two though since it seems you're going to have a lot of time to be reading....

Upvote 0

Loretta

Any of the Harry Potter books would keep you occupied for your trip if you're into those. If not, here are some suggestions:

Angels Fall - Nora Roberts: I found this book very gripping as it is a mystery. It kept you guessing until the end.

The Collectors - David Balducci (sp?): Another mystery with 3 story lines going at the same time. It was interesting to see how they all intertwined at one point or another.

Envy - Sandra Brown (I think): Mystery that swapped between the story and a story about the story. Hard to explain, but this was one of the best books I've ever read.

I'm not sure what kind of books you like but hope this helps. :wave:

I have to agree with you on Nora Roberts book, Angles Fall. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Her Montana Sky was very good also.

Upvote 0

wickedwitchware

If you want to stay in the disney theme ,then I would say Kingdom Keepers can't remember the authors name right now(google),but its a good read.
Or my old favorite standby Gone With The Wind.
Anything by Marion Zimmer Bradley is good too!!!
Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

Philo

I can't help but watch films and play games during flights but on my trip in January (over 9 hours each way!) I read 'Lucky Man' the auto-biography by Michael J Fox which is focused around how he dealt with his onset of parkinsons. Great book, its open, honest, witty and most importantly written well.
Other than that my choices would be :
  • 'Neverwhere' by Neil Gaiman - dark and surreal but fantastic!
  • Any of the harry potters (would normally choose HBP though)
  • 'Going Postal' by Terry Pratchet (just fininshed reading it. Alot of people would disagree but I think this is his best work). 'Moving Pictures' is a good one too.
  • Hitchhikers guide by Douglas Adams - just funny!

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I've just gotten into Anthony Bourdain. I'm reading "Kitchen Confidential" which I think was his first book. If you like food and travel it's a good read so far! I'm looking forward to picking up his other ones.

Upvote 0

Jungle Skipper

I've got some great books that are pretty quick reads and can make the time pass by. I'm a bit fan of light southern literature. You might give these a look see are your local library:

The following are slice of life tales by Clyde Edgerton

Raney
(A book I think anyone who is married or going to get married should read and will appreciate)

Walking Across Egypt
Killer Diller

These go hand in hand...walking then Killer...story about an old lady with nothing else to do and her developing friendship with a troubled young man in need of motherly attention)

One of my alltime favorite authors is Daniel Wallace, his first book was

Big Fish, a delightful tale of childhood and a father/son relationship.
He also has two other books that I love, but odn't necessarily recommend to just anyone...but I LOVED his newest book called:

Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician (don't let the title scare you...its an amazing book. I'd suggest it to anyone...and an easy read) Check it out on amazon: Mr. Sebastian

A more challenging read: All the Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren is my ALL TIME FAVORITE book. Check it out...its a beauty.

If you have any questions, send them my way!

Cheers,
Josh

Upvote 0

frankd1962

HP & the Deathly Hallows would be a good one if you have the rest of the series already. Pick up a copy of one of the tour guides and read though what some of the tips that you might have missed here or other places.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

We are flying non-stop from LAX to Orlando on a 5 hour flight! :hammer: Not looking forward to it at all, let me tell you. So I was wondering if you guys had any book suggestions. It can be new or old. Doesn't have to be Disney related either. And if you wouldn't mind jotting down what you liked about the book. Thanks so much!

Funny. I'm flying from LAX as well, but that will be in December. Personally, I would read either anything Steven King (preferably his older work), or Dean Koontz INTENSITY. Both very good. Though, you may not enjoy Steven King because he goes way too much into detail that it may bore you to death. Dean gets to the point and gets to the action.

Upvote 0

macsmom

I have started reading books by James Patterson. I have read four of his books in the past few weeks - I read whenever I can. He has two series, one with Alex Cross and one with a group of four women that team together to solve crimes.

danna

Upvote 0

carebearsrgr8

Yea I would get the Unoffical guide Mini Mickey version its great if you havent read the Unoffical Guide or didnt have time to. Its like the cliff notes version.
Im a magazine person myself...I think I will be trying to get the latest of something hehe....Other books hmmm.

Well my bf likes harry potter but its not my thang.

Upvote 0

Montyboy

Excellent Thread

"Basket Case" by Carl Hiaasen
Good characters with some humor thrown in. (Good for going on vacation.) The story takes place in Florida, so it will get you in right frame of mind.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom