HELP! 5 Hour Flight! Need Book Suggestions!

RyMelEm

We are flying non-stop from LAX to Orlando on a 5 hour flight! :hammer: Not looking forward to it at all, let me tell you. So I was wondering if you guys had any book suggestions. It can be new or old. Doesn't have to be Disney related either. And if you wouldn't mind jotting down what you liked about the book. Thanks so much!

cooleo

Any of the Harry Potter books would keep you occupied for your trip if you're into those. If not, here are some suggestions:

Angels Fall - Nora Roberts: I found this book very gripping as it is a mystery. It kept you guessing until the end.

The Collectors - David Balducci (sp?): Another mystery with 3 story lines going at the same time. It was interesting to see how they all intertwined at one point or another.

Envy - Sandra Brown (I think): Mystery that swapped between the story and a story about the story. Hard to explain, but this was one of the best books I've ever read.

I'm not sure what kind of books you like but hope this helps. :wave:

FROM AN AVID READER, ME!!!
This is a very good book. Actually all of Baldacci's works are good. He has a way of keeping you entranced so that you don't want to put them down. Here are some others: Camel Club, Split Second, Hour Game, Simple Genius. Another author along the lines of Baldacci is Brad Meltzer. His works consist of: Book of Fate, The Zero Game, The Millionaires, The First Counsel, The Tenth Justice to name a few. The Millionaires starts out in New York but has a part of it that actually takes place in Magic Kingdom. Some parts are even set backstage of Splash Mountain area as well as in the Utilidors. It also mentions various other areas such as Tinkerbell's Treasures. Kinda neat reading that. A couple other Authors to mention are Vince Flynn & Daniel Silva. You really can't go wrong with any of these mentioned. Although I think these are all great, I would say try The Millionaires as mentioned above. You will get a Great Book that just happens to have WDW weaved into the plot. ENJOY!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

First, to the OP: I LOVE THIS THREAD! Thank you! I keep a list of books I'd like to read - those recommended by friends, reviews, etc - and I've gotten some great additions here. Then I jump out to our local library website, put in a request, and when the book is available I just go pick it up. It's so covenient and so free. Yea public libraries!!

Second to Josh, the Jungle Skipper (are you really?): We have very similar tastes. My daughter had to read Raney for school and hated it. She badmouthed it so much that I decided to read it and see what all the fuss was about and I loved it. Go figure. Edgerton's Floatplane Diaries is also good. I also loved Big Fish - what a classic!

Third: Here are my additions to the list (I generally prefer non-fiction):

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
The true story of the creation of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, interwoven with the true story of the serial killer who used the fair to lure unsuspecting women.

Isaac's Storm also by Erik Larson
The true story of the 1900 hurricane that destroyed Galveston. The account of the hurricane itself is gripping but it also describes how modern meterology evolved. At that time they actually believed that a hurricane could not survive in the gulf and would therefore never make landfall on the gulf coast.

A Sense of the World by Jason Roberts
Another true story - this one the fascinating account of a blind man who travelled all over the world - ALONE - in the late 1700's/early 1800's. It's so amazing it sounds like fiction, but isn't. Would be a good book to read on a trip (since it's about travelling).

and for my fiction entry

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Excellent read about a travelling circus in the late 20's/early 30's and the young vet that travelled with the circus. It's told from his perspective as an old man in a nursing home. Well written, fascinating, and a great look into a life that is foreign to most of us.

To everyone else: Keep em coming!

Upvote 0

popsicletrees

American Gods by Neil Gaiman is really good. It incorporates a lot of ancient mythology from around the world into modern America. The book is really about the struggle of the gods who were brought over from the 'Old World' to survive in a time when people are worshipping new gods like internet and television. It is really well written and an excellent story.

or

East of Eden by Steinbeck is one of my favorites. I'm not really a Steinbeck fan, but this book kept my attention. The story is so raw from the very beginning to the very end. I also love the parallels that it has with the Bible.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

I love David Baldacchi books, but my husband can't get into them. We both read James Patterson. But for really fun books, start the series by Janet Evanovich about her crazy female bounty hunter, her wacky grandmother and the 2 men in her life. So far there are 13 books in the series and 2 short books about the same characters.
One for the Money
Two for the Dough
Three to get Deadly, etc.
Everyone I know that has read these books, falls in love with the series and reads the whole set. Even my husband. Just be prepared for people to stare at you while you're laughing out loud.

Upvote 0

Jungle Skipper

Second to Josh, the Jungle Skipper (are you really?): We have very similar tastes. My daughter had to read Raney for school and hated it. She badmouthed it so much that I decided to read it and see what all the fuss was about and I loved it. Go figure. Edgerton's Floatplane Diaries is also good. I also loved Big Fish - what a classic!

Well..I used to be...back in my glory days....lol. Not anymore though.

I loved the Floatplane Diaries as well.

If you enjoy Edgerton, may i suggest Fred Chappell as well? He has a series of books that are real page turners and delightful too! The series goes like this:

Brighten the Corner Where You Are
I am One of You Forever
Look Back the Green Valley
Farewell I was Bound to Leave You

And if you liked Big Fish...definately see Wallace's newest book Mr. Sebastian! I can't say enough about this book! A MUST READ!

Cheers,
Josh

Upvote 0

darrin933

Well, it is not a book but I always rent a video player and a couple movies from the inmotion store. You can drop it right off when you get off the plane at the store at mco. to me that is what makes the flight I am on go the fastest.

Upvote 0

MY_NAME_STITCH

If you want to stay in the disney theme ,then I would say Kingdom Keepers can't remember the authors name right now(google),but its a good read.

This is a GREAT read. The author's name is Ridley Pearson. I read the book and it was fantastic. It's a quick read and hard to put down once the story gets going. Hope you enhoy it as much as I did. Have a great time on vacation!!!!

Upvote 0

I-4Warrior

Unofficial Guide would be a great obvious choice! I do have to agree with Diddy Mouse that Kitchen Confidential is a great read (and a great, unappreciated, and quickly cancelled sitcom).

Upvote 0

RyMelEm

Original Poster
Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions! VERY helpful! You guys are great! And to answer your question- the reason I'm not looking forward to a 5 hour flight is the horrible motion sickness I get whenever I fly!:cry: But if it means I get to go to WDW than in the end it's worth it!!!:p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom