Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It’s Off To Work We Go: An April/July 2011 Trip Report

Yep. It’s me again! And guess what? This report is going to go up soooo much faster than that last one. Well, Part I is at least. No, really. Promise! Here’s the thing, just three short weeks after returning from our Wedding/Disneymoon extravaganza, I found myself back at the World ready to take on another adventure; unfortunately though, without my husband in tow. Yeah that’s right, I’m such a great wife, so great that I left him behind and went to Disney World without him for our one month anniversary! And then, again, in the middle of the summer. Tsk, tsk. Bad wife.

Part I: Saturday, April 16 – Wednesday, April 20 at Port Orleans Riverside
You see, by day (when I’m not trip reporting :lookaroun) I advise, assist, and mentor engineering students throughout their co-op experiences. One of the perks of my job is that I get to travel around and visit students on all these different assignments. Well, lo and behold, after quite a few years of trying, I was able to hook up two of my students with Disney! Guess what this means?! Yes, smart cookies, this means a site visit to Disney World for Hollybelle! :D The timing of a couple things (the wedding, and work-related events) pretty much dictated when this trip would take place. And it just so happened to be smack dab in the middle of prime spring break time; the week before Easter. This was actually a good thing though, because it meant that my mom, Kim (a teacher), could come along with me for the fun.

Part II: Tuesday, July 12 – Friday, July 15 at Caribbean Beach
I needed to go back to the Central Florida area in July for a site visit with students in Tampa, so of course, being an annual passholder, I couldn't resist combining this short visit with more time at Disney. Unfortunately, Brett couldn't get away from work to join me this time either. So I called up my mom, and she so selflessly gave up a bit of her summer to join me again. :lol: Good thing she got that annual pass.

Because all good reports need an introduction to the cast, here we are slurpin’ down margaritas in the Bahamas:

DSC02336_diptych.jpg

For the first trip, I initially had Pop booked because there was no way an AP rate would come out for the weekend before Easter, but oddly enough, my mom came across a surprisingly great rate for POR on one of the non-Disney travel sites, so we upgraded! Woohooo! This was my first time booking a Disney resort through a third party and everything worked out perfectly fine.

Just an aside, both parts of this report will likely be more photo driven and have a lot less text than normal… I also have a May trip to report on and an upcoming trip at the end of September so I'm trying my best to get all caught up with the summer reports as quickly as possible. :lol: Yes, I know, it’s already September. How’d that happen?!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After the parade we wandered down to the “secret pathway” that cuts across to ITTBAB to see if any parrots were out.

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

We saw the parade coming around the bend to complete the circle, so we walked over to snap some more pictures. As I was switching lenses for a different perspective, King Louie attacked me with kisses - the level of character interaction during MJJP is one of the reasons I love this parade so much.

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

On our way out of the park we decided to stop in at the Rainforest for some deliciousness! Margaritas, por favor!!

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

While we were there, we figured we should probably eat, too. China Island Chicken Salad… oh how I love thee. And it’s the perfect size for splitting!

Even though we didn’t get to spend much time there, it felt like a productive trip over to the Animal Kingdom.

IMG_5396.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
It was around 6:30pm when we got back to the Studios. Two things were on the agenda… cashing in our TSMM fastpasses we had picked up that morning and getting a decent seat for Fantasmic. I’m happy to say we accomplished them both! And managed to take quite a few pictures on Hollywood Boulevard.

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Check out the people on Sunset Boulevard. :eek: We were approximately 1.5 hours early for the first showing of Fantasmic that evening and it was already becoming packed. Gotta love Spring Break crowds!

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

The waiting game was, uh, fun – people watching can be hilariously entertaining and terrifying all at the same time. One man in front of us (approximately 40 year old/father of three) kept raising his arms to participate in the “wave” and every single time he did so, he was showing off his “whale tail.” Yeah… that’s right. I said father. Of three. 275ish pounds. And 40 something. I really didn’t need to know about his affinity for thongs. Really. I would’ve taken a picture for your viewing pleasure, but I like you way too much to subject you to that particular type of whale. :lol:

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity the show started! Huzzzah!

MICKEY!

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

Fantasmic is a show Brett and I rarely watch, and honestly, it has nothing to do with either of our feelings about the show and EVERYTHING to do with the timing of getting in/out of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre. Surprisingly enough though, my mom and I got out of there pretty quickly (aisle seats rock!).

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The line to get in for the next showing of Fantasmic was insane… it backed up almost all the way to the Scary Apothecary. And I thought the crowds for the first showing were bad!! See the little girl in the Minnie Mouse ears beside the man in green? Yeah… they're in line, and all those people behind them are standing still, waiting. :eek:

IMG_5531.jpg

We wandered around taking pictures before exiting the park and heading back to Port Orleans.

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Next up: MK and Epcot!

Disneyfalcon

Well it's about time! :lol:

No, I'm so excited you started! Your pictures are just gorgeous. I love how leisurely it all was. Sigh. Time to take pictures with no one waiting.

Jealous!!:)

erstwo

Well, I have only read the first post, but I must say I am a little sad because this report doesn't include Pixar Weekend! :) That would have been my best chance of spying myself in the background of your pics. Because, you know....... It's all about me.... :lookaroun

But seriously, I'm excited! Yay TR! :sohappy:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Well it's about time! :lol:

No, I'm so excited you started! Your pictures are just gorgeous. I love how leisurely it all was. Sigh. Time to take pictures with no one waiting.

Jealous!!:)

You know, I've got to say, the fact that my mom was stoked just to walk around taking pictures made me a very happy girl. Brett's more than willing to go at my pace and stop along the way with me, but this was different. It was soooooo fabulous.

And thank you. I'm itching to upgrade my gear. What are your thoughts... new camera (I'm thinking maybe 60D because the 7D might be out of my current price range) or new glass (first L lens!)? Which would be a better move first? I know I'm going to end up upgrading both, but I can't decide which one I want more. Decisions, decisions.

Well, I have only read the first post, but I must say I am a little sad because this report doesn't include Pixar Weekend! :) That would have been my best chance of spying myself in the background of your pics. Because, you know....... It's all about me.... :lookaroun

But seriously, I'm excited! Yay TR! :sohappy:

Erin! It's really too bad we didn't actually get to see each other in May, because then that trip report really would be all about you! :lol: Maybe I'll photoshop you into one of our shots at the Animal Kingdom. Yes, yes, I think I'll do just that. :D

Pixar Weekend is coming up. I've finished all the text for this April trip and I have high hopes of getting Pixar Weekend posted before the end of September. Lofty goals, I know!

Disneyfalcon

You know, I've got to say, the fact that my mom was stoked just to walk around taking pictures made me a very happy girl. Brett's more than willing to go at my pace and stop along the way with me, but this was different. It was soooooo fabulous.

And thank you. I'm itching to upgrade my gear. What are your thoughts... new camera (I'm thinking maybe 60D because the 7D might be out of my current price range) or new glass (first L lens!)? Which would be a better move first? I know I'm going to end up upgrading both, but I can't decide which one I want more. Decisions, decisions.

I totally get that. Stephen is patient, but standing around waiting is not exactly what he wants to be doing.

Most people say new glass should come first. I totally understand your desire to upgrade your body first though. Especially when your current body is limiting what you can do. :)

catnrob

Woke up this morning to see who updated or added a trip report! What a GIFT to see a new trip report by HollyBelle. (I don't know you and you don't know me...but I read your last blog religiously and it got me thru the rainy and cold days of spring and early summer, ok and even part of regular summer :) - thank you)

I have the day off and I can't wait to read your report along with a hot cup of tea in my little time I get to myself every week! We have 31more days till our first trip to the World... this trip report will help me get thru the wait!!!

Ariel484

Woohoo! So much to comment on...

First, I freaking NEED to see MJJP already. We've gone to WDW 4 times in the past 2 years and have never managed to time it right so that we can see that parade. I'll just have to live vicariously through your pictures for now.

Love your PORS pics and that you were able to get some "delicious light" :lol: I'm still too much of a photography noob to be able to tell - what lenses were you using? And speaking of photography, LOVE your mom's Minnie Mouse camera strap and those lanyards you guys picked out! I'm excited to see the finished products!

I completely agree with you and your mom's thoughts on the Port Orleans boats to Downtown Disney. It's certainly longer than driving and, I think, taking the bus, but it's sooo relaxing. That was one of my favorite things about staying at Riverside. I'm looking forward to your review of French Quarter! It looked nice from the boat.

I'll echo your and Brett's sentiments on Fantasmic! It's my and Will's favorite nighttime show, but it's SUCH a pain to get in and out of the amphitheater. :(

And I totally know what you mean about having different top parks after trips. In 2009, I was all about Animal Kingdom...this year I find that MK is my favorite.

And not related to this trip...since you knew I would ask...how's the W&D training coming along?! Are you guys getting pumped?? :sohappy: I can't wait for your report on that race!

PolynesianPrincess

LOVE the pictures of POR... POR was never a resort I was too interested in staying at but seeing your pictures kind of makes me wish we were booked there for our November trip... Speaking of which, when will you be there in November?

I can't believe how dead the Studios was!! 10 minute wait for TSMM?! I'll take that any day of the week!! :) And I agree with you on the craziness that is getting out of Fantasmic! We waited for the 2nd show last time we were there and that was a HUGE mistake! I think we'll aim for the first show from now on... lol

lisak09

Yay another TR:). Can't wait to read the rest. My 16 year old daughter fell in love with Little Miss Matched when we were there in August! She bought lots of socks because she thought they would drive me crazy when im doing the laundry!!!!!!

Brett

So this is where you've been running off to with your mom! WDW trips without your husband. I was wondering where all the plush was coming from :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom