Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Automated monorails - from the people who brought you MM+ and 3 monorail crashes in 6 1/2 years

Sweet baby jeebus, Do the three stooges run the testing programs at WDW, To test an E stop perhaps a wooden barrier set in place that if the test failed there would be no major damage to the train. Now they've broken a monorail AND a tug just freakin brilliant.

s8film40

Excuse my crude drawing but here you can see where the work tractor was in relation to the monorail from the marks on the roof. I certainly wouldn't want to have been sitting in that seat. I suspect the tow hook, which is the first part of the monorail frame came in contact with the tractor and that's what stopped it.

JNmNGtJ.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
and this is why we test

and this is why no one sits in the front anymore

and last but not least...

and this is another reason why these ancient monorails need to be replaced instead of just trying to band-aid all the time

Or perhaps hire a COMPETENT engineering firm to do the automation, perhaps even one which has done similar projects not merely the 'lowest bidder'.

s8film40

Sweet baby jeebus, Do the three stooges run the testing programs at WDW, To test an E stop perhaps a wooden barrier set in place that if the test failed there would be no major damage to the train. Now they've broken a monorail AND a tug just freakin brilliant.
I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that this accident is related to the automation. It could be the train was being set up to tow as normal and something happened with the tow tractor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It important to how its characterized. This would be (IMO) a "testing incident" and a non story because thats exactly what happened. No guests on board, isn't a full on "accident" with guests and certainly isn't a "crash." Its important to describe things fairly and in a non-sensational fashion.

Those of us who are engineers would still categorize this as a crash, The fact that it happened while testing is irrelevant the only good thing about it is no one was injured. (I'm pretty sure the insurance carrier will feel the same way... Assuming of course they still want to assume the risk of insuring the WDW monorail any longer).

PhotoDave219

Automation has nothing to do with towing so I wouldn't expect this accident has any bearing on the automation system. I would think/hope that the automation shouldn't have been being tested with a tow tractor in the vicinity.

Well we're hearing two different things:

1 - Contact during towing, per Disney.

2 - Crash during automation testing.

Time will play out what actually happened but I dont think it was being towed.

aladdin2007

I think were just getting closer to the day when Disney does away with the monorails all together, they are leaning towards more boats and buses etc. some of the boat captains discuss such a plan very openly when they probably shouldn't. But it wouldnt surprise me in the least sadly.

PhotoDave219

Excuse my crude drawing but here you can see where the work tractor was in relation to the monorail from the marks on the roof. I certainly wouldn't want to have been sitting in that seat. I suspect the tow hook, which is the first part of the monorail frame came in contact with the tractor and that's what stopped it.

JNmNGtJ.jpg

Its my understanding that the operators were at the other end of the train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom