Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

Tom

Beta Return
It wouldn't be the first time.

Oh, I know. Just with all the changes made, operationally, since the accident....it's amazing that this situation would even present itself.

But now I'm reading that a tow bar broke, which is a somewhat passable excuse.

Tom

Beta Return

D'oh! That's going to leave a mark.

So, based on the puzzle pieces so far, it seems as though the tractor must have been PUSHING the train, not pulling. I don't know if PUSHING is SOP, but given that the tow bar broke under that stress, I'm guessing "no". They're meant to be pulled, I presume. Physics would agree.

Anyone know, based on the photo, if that's the new cab, or the original one from that train (which is one of the reconstructed trains).

hopemax

D'oh! That's going to leave a mark.

So, based on the puzzle pieces so far, it seems as though the tractor must have been PUSHING the train, not pulling. I don't know if PUSHING is SOP, but given that the tow bar broke under that stress, I'm guessing "no". They're meant to be pulled, I presume. Physics would agree.

Anyone know, based on the photo, if that's the new cab, or the original one from that train (which is one of the reconstructed trains).

My Dad and I have been talking about, yeah, if the monorail were being pushed by the tow, and the bar failed, momentum would drive the tow into the cab. So then that let us to thoughts of, "did it break," or was a locking mechanism not properly secured, or some connection failed. So then it's thoughts about proper operation of the tow. The Columbia accident was a result of improper materials (the wrong line), improper maintenance (rot on the boat), and improper techniques during docking. It's good this occurred during testing, and so no guests were in danger, and no injuries. But tests have been going on for how long, and they aren't past accidentally running into things? So I'm not quite sure how the lack of even more major damage means this is a complete non-story. It's a different narrative now, obviously automation is not going well.

PhotoDave219

My Dad and I have been talking about, yeah, if the monorail were being pushed by the tow, and the bar failed, momentum would drive the tow into the cab. So then that let us to thoughts of, "did it break," or was a locking mechanism not properly secured, or some connection failed. So then it's thoughts about proper operation of the tow. The Columbia accident was a result of improper materials (the wrong line), improper maintenance (rot on the boat), and improper techniques during docking. It's good this occurred during testing, and so no guests were in danger, and no injuries. But tests have been going on for how long, and they aren't past accidentally running into things? So I'm not quite sure how the lack of even more major damage means this is a complete non-story. It's a different narrative now, obviously automation is not going well.

It important to how its characterized. This would be (IMO) a "testing incident" and a non story because thats exactly what happened. No guests on board, isn't a full on "accident" with guests and certainly isn't a "crash." Its important to describe things fairly and in a non-sensational fashion.

s8film40

It important to how its characterized. This would be (IMO) a "testing incident" and a non story because thats exactly what happened. No guests on board, isn't a full on "accident" with guests and certainly isn't a "crash." Its important to describe things fairly and in a non-sensational fashion.
While I agree things shouldn't be over sensationalized, I would describe this as a crash. The damage does look fairly significant, more so than other work tractor crashes I've seen. If there was a driver in that cab which I suspect there should have been then that was a somewhat close call.

Tom

Beta Return

I think today was a pretty major day for testing, because there were a LOT of engineer-types on property yesterday, specifically discussing the monorails. In fact, we had lunch at Kona before we flew home yesterday and there was a table of people in polos and khakis talking about the monorail automation. I only caught words, not anything useful.

Right

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom