Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So did the tug pilot try to stop the monorail after the tow bar broke? Did he forget KE= 1/2×mv^2?

I suspect he did not even know the formula for kinetic energy, As an aside I rented an excavator to do some work on my property it was a lot bigger machine than I usually use - the hardest part was learning to manage the energy if you suddenly stopped the boom or dipper (the arm at the end of the boom) the whole machine would rock and roll. This thing weighed 30 tons.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'd be interested in knowing what the color of the sky is in your world. In my world there is no such thing as completely fail safe. Things happen all the time that are not supposed too happen. It isn't any sadder then life itself.

Conspiracy theories are always interesting, however, when something like this happens that are not likely to be dangerous to the general public it is advisable to keep it as quiet as possible. This thread is the prime example of that. People with rose colored glasses and amateur engineering degrees think they have some sort of inside knowledge of how things work (or don't work, in this discussion).

If we stopped to evaluate every possible thing that could happen to mess us up we wouldn't be sleeping nights. If it isn't something that directly affects the public in any palpable way, it would be stupid to go crazy with the transparency of things that people don't really need to know. It is apparently the life style of those of us that are on Disney boards to feel that we know all the answers and all the procedures to make us safe. The safest way to live is in a concrete bunker and never leave it. Even that has it's dangers. Panic is a really bigger concern then a dented Monorail hood. And unless we or someone else is injured we have no reason to think that what happened is any of our business. Yet, this group always seems to think that they are entitled to know. We aren't! If we don't trust Disney... then we should just decide not to go there and just like Disney Magic... our problem is solved.

A bunch of the people like me who you are calling out actually HAVE real engineering degrees and licenses, Those of us with engineering degrees look at EVERY failure even if it's not in our specific discipline for lessons which we can apply in our own disciplines.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thales staff are working onsite. Other than the usual sub-contracting of work installing the system along the beam itself, which has been completed for quite some time, I believe Thales is doing the rest. It's really a pretty minor project from their perspective, 12 trains isn't much.

Thales or 'Thales Badged' there is a difference

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A bunch of the people like me who you are calling out actually HAVE real engineering degrees and licenses

Weird. Last week I thought you were an expert on research methods. And the week before that, a financial expert. And the week before that, a leader in resort operations. And the other month, your experience was in park operations. Your a jack of all trades, aren't ya.

nace888

Guys, when y'all refer to the damage from a tow tractor, let me remind you that LIME'S issue, came from a tractor barreling down from the Contemporary, and that caused some damage to Lime.

This is very clear that the train went through the tubing of the tractor, and the top hit the cab. I find it very odd though, that the windshield was not shattered.... NOT ONLY THAT, but it looks like a mostly straight line across the broken part of the nose where they peeled them apart, so we can only guess that there's an edge on the tractor that split that area, and pulled it from the underside of the nose...

I apologize if I'm not legible, I'm tired, XD

s8film40

Guys, when y'all refer to the damage from a tow tractor, let me remind you that LIME'S issue, came from a tractor barreling down from the Contemporary, and that caused some damage to Lime.

This is very clear that the train went through the tubing of the tractor, and the top hit the cab. I find it very odd though, that the windshield was not shattered.... NOT ONLY THAT, but it looks like a mostly straight line across the broken part of the nose where they peeled them apart, so we can only guess that there's an edge on the tractor that split that area, and pulled it from the underside of the nose...

I apologize if I'm not legible, I'm tired, XD
The windshields are made of lexan. Once the crash occurred it would have popped out. It wouldn't shatter and since it would be free from the train at that point it would be more likely to just move rather than get ripped or broken so long as it doesn't catch on anything.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Weird. Last week I thought you were an expert on research methods. And the week before that, a financial expert. And the week before that, a leader in resort operations. And the other month, your experience was in park operations. Your a jack of all trades, aren't ya.

There is nothing exclusive to being an engineer AND a researcher, As to being a financial expert well I'm not but I can read a set of books that's called basic accounting and is kind of required if one manages a budget in a modern corporation. Perhaps if more people took a basic course on GAAP accounting Wall St would not be able to get away with some of the crap they do these days.

nace888

I don't think Peach has had an accident though, the current one is Coral...

Soooo, Known ones are:

Pink :(
Purple :(
Lime (tractor collision)
Coral (tractor collision)

Red and Yellow were mentioned, but I don't know what happened there....

OH WAIT, RED WAS TRACTOR TOO!! -facepalm-

googilycub

I'd be interested in knowing what the color of the sky is in your world. In my world there is no such thing as completely fail safe. Things happen all the time that are not supposed too happen. It isn't any sadder then life itself.

It would help if you quoted, and read my entire post. As my examples pointed out, there are fail safes in place in other simialr modes of transportation. When an aircraft is towed to the hanger, there is someone in the cockpit that can apply the brakes on the aircraft should the towbar break. Something along those lines is what is needed when the monorail is towed. Stop worring about the blue sky in my world and study redundancy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom