Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

raven

Original Poster
I've been examining the news coverage and photos of the "incident" (Disney given word). I have personally watched a few monorails being towed before. I've also watched the track being repaired and cleaned several times. The Tug and the Maintenance Vehicle are 2 different types of vehicles. The photos of the vehicle I've seen look exactly like the Maintenance one, NOT the Tow one.

Anyone else spot that yet? If so, why would it be out there in the way? I know that one of the Maintenance vehicles is stored on the new spur near the TTC, but why would they even be loaded onto the same beam when they were conducting a test like this?

Monorail_Red_77

I'm not sure I agree with that. The "show" did go on yesterday, but operations were impacted.
So, in some sense, it could be argued that they preserved the "Show" by not allowing an ugly incident to be paraded by the guests contained the damage by preventing a bunch of pictures to flood social media.

Yes, I think so as well. Perhaps it is better stowed at TTC until night so that it does not impact guests at MK entrance. As monorail has to get over there to switch back to round house beam. Also, possibility for parts to rain down on guests at MK entrance during this move.
Especially if the damaged end is facing north. It would make it easier to hide from most guests. Since the nose would not be pointing out at TTC plaza area.

chiefs11

Yeah I think we're on the same page. I made this several years ago.
KpuOV.jpg
Very similar to what I've always thought they should do.. one change I think you should make: have a dual track station at DAK and the turnaround at AKL (or even a single track dead-end station with a track switch, like they use in LV)

s8film40

I've been examining the news coverage and photos of the "incident" (Disney given word). I have personally watched a few monorails being towed before. I've also watched the track being repaired and cleaned several times. The Tug and the Maintenance Vehicle are 2 different types of vehicles. The photos of the vehicle I've seen look exactly like the Maintenance one, NOT the Tow one.

Anyone else spot that yet? If so, why would it be out there in the way? I know that one of the Maintenance vehicles is stored on the new spur near the TTC, but why would they even be loaded onto the same beam when they were conducting a test like this?
The Tow or Work Tractor as they called serve for both towing and maintenance, they are the same vehicle. There are 3 work tractors. There is also a trailer that is sometimes pulled behind it when work requires extra equipment.

s8film40

Very similar to what I've always thought they should do.. one change I think you should make: have a dual track station at DAK and the turnaround at AKL (or even a single track dead-end station with a track switch, like they use in LV)
Yeah, looking back at this I would definitely have a dual track station with switch beam at DAK. Probably also a second roundhouse so trains could be added removed from there more quickly also.

raven

Original Poster
The Tow or Work Tractor as they called serve for both towing and maintenance, they are the same vehicle. There are 3 work tractors. There is also a trailer that is sometimes pulled behind it when work requires extra equipment.

I've definitely seen completely different vehicles doing separate things on the beams. They are the same shape but the Maintenance one has areas to stand on (or lay on) on the sides of the tractor which can be lowered down to the pick-up bar level. That one is pictured.

s8film40

I've definitely seen completely different vehicles doing separate things on the beams. They are the same shape but the Maintenance one has areas to stand on (or lay on) on the sides of the tractor which can be lowered down to the pick-up bar level. That one is pictured.
Sounds like your talking about the trailer but that's not pictured. Work Tractor 3 is primarily or at least is the first choice used for towing now and apparently was the one initially towing Coral in this incident. All three can be used for either towing or maintenance.

Monorail_Red_77

Well how about we call it misleading rather than misinformation? If I call my insurance company after an accident and tell them I "made contact" with another vehicle I don't think they would expect to see the front 4 feet of my car destroyed.

With these monorails I don't think it takes much "contact" to do serious damage. Since the cabs are just fiberglass composite material on a steel frame. I like to think of it as taping an egg to a steel ruler and pushing it into a wall. From what I know, there is not much if any structure to the cabs beyond a honeycomb material to give support. Even a tap from a tractor at 5mpg, even less could and did do serious damage in the past. These things are not designed to withstand much. So no steel framing in the cabs like, let's say a race car. There are only two scenarios that damage can occur to the nose of a monorail. Monorail contact with Monorail, or Monorail contact with Tow Tractor. Both of which we have seen entirely too much of lately. :(
Just my $0.02 worth. ;)

s8film40

Here is Tractor 1, it is primarily stored at the roundhouse and usually only used for maintenance, the trailer can be seen behind it here.
BDagRMj.jpg

Tractor 2, it is usually kept at the Epcot spur switch along with a maintenance trailer.
j4WXSoI.jpg

Tractor 3, usually stored at the roundhouse first choice for towing typically.
oD80CVy.jpg

ABQ

Here is Tractor 1, it is primarily stored at the roundhouse and usually only used for maintenance, the trailer can be seen behind it here.
BDagRMj.jpg

Tractor 2, it is usually kept at the Epcot spur switch along with a maintenance trailer.
j4WXSoI.jpg

Tractor 3, usually stored at the roundhouse first choice for towing typically.
oD80CVy.jpg
Looks like 2 towed the monorail back to the TTC yesterday and 3, based on the green stripe, was the tractor that was impacted.

GrumpyFan

Yes, I think so as well. Perhaps it is better stowed at TTC until night so that it does not impact guests at MK entrance. As monorail has to get over there to switch back to round house beam. Also, possibility for parts to rain down on guests at MK entrance during this move.
Especially if the damaged end is facing north. It would make it easier to hide from most guests. Since the nose would not be pointing out at TTC plaza area.

Exactly! It wouldn't be very good "show" to parade a busted up monorail train in front of guests, most of which, had no clue of anything happening at all. It would just lead to a lot of speculation, questions and perhaps even some who would be scared that something bad had happened.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Yep. Spoken like a true Disney Brand Advocate. Can't let the bad news get out! Cause surely something as minor as a monorail crashing isn't important! Let's all talk about buying more frozen merch! C'mon guys! Disney rules!

Oh no I've been found out as a plant. Better go back to the safety of the PML where all the Disney Collaborators plot.

s8film40

With these monorails I don't think it takes much "contact" to do serious damage. Since the cabs are just fiberglass composite material on a steel frame. I like to think of it as taping an egg to a steel ruler and pushing it into a wall. From what I know, there is not much if any structure to the cabs beyond a honeycomb material to give support. Even a tap from a tractor at 5mpg, even less could and did do serious damage in the past. These things are not designed to withstand much. So no steel framing in the cabs like, let's say a race car. There are only two scenarios that damage can occur to the nose of a monorail. Monorail contact with Monorail, or Monorail contact with Tow Tractor. Both of which we have seen entirely too much of lately. :(
Just my $0.02 worth. ;)
The first part of the steel frame underneath is where the tow hook is, everything forward of that is basically unprotected. If you look at the photos it appears this is the point where the collision ended. For comparison here is a photo after another crash. There was a lot less momentum here and the nose of the train bent the rail seen on the right.
oCyRgt0.jpg

chiefs11

Just my $0.02 worth. ;)
I guess the next version of the trains and tractors (if it ever happens) will have to have bumpers/buffers on the ends since they can't stop running them into each other.

s8film40

I guess the next version of the trains and tractors (if it ever happens) will have to have bumpers/buffers on the ends since they can't stop running them into each other.
If it were me I would just permanently extend the frame of the tractor out to where the tow bar typically meets the trains tow hook. This way any impacts would be frame to frame instead of fiberglass versus steel frame. Something kind of like this below. Of course when they designed these they probably didn't think they would be running into trains as much as they are.
egwkEMe.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom