Have you seen Song of the south in its entirety

Have you watched song of the south in its entirety

• Total voters

WDWmazprty

You must live outside the US as it was never release in the US and hasn't been in any theater in the US since 1986.

Actually I'm from Jersey..... I got it some years ago from a friend who worked for a movie promo company..he went to things like Comic Con and other entertainment events... in his travels and many events he acquired the VHS of the movie. It is a Japanese version, so the audio is in English but has Japanese subtitles.....I think it actually was a demo tape because it has that old school digital running time clock in the corner as the movie plays, lol!
I actually wonder if its worth anything, especially now that the ride will be gone 🤷‍♂️

ElvisMickey

😂 ..Right! For it's time it was very innovative but not the greatest movie ever, lol. The characters and songs are what I remember and enjoyed the most.

I was 9 years old when it was rereleased in theaters in 1986 and that’s the first time I saw it. Definitely not Disney’s best. I’d rather watch The Three Caballeros any day!

WDWmazprty

I was 9 years old when it was rereleased in theaters in 1986 and that’s the first time I saw it. Definitely not Disney’s best. I’d rather watch The Three Caballeros any day!

LOL! I do love the movie though..same here, saw it as a kid and never forget how cool it was that cartoons existed in the real world, lol! Of course now I see it and I realize how not so great the movie was made. lol!

ElvisMickey

LOL! I do love the movie though..same here, saw it as a kid and never forget how cool it was that cartoons existed in the real world, lol! Of course now I see it and I realize how not so great the movie was made. lol!
I totally remember it being more enjoyable as a kid as well!

DCLcruiser

I remember a few visits ago thinking to myself..."why don't I remember Br'er Rabbit, and the rest of characters at all?" What movie is this from? I guess it's about telling the truth? Zip sounded familiar, but that's about it. Never seen the movie.

Screamface

Yep, in the 90s, probably on VHS. Of course, I'm not in the USA. It may have even been on cable, it was so long ago I can't remember.

Old Mouseketeer

I saw it in re-release in the theater when I was a boy (yes, we had motion pictures then--even "talkies"--in color). In the early nineties I borrowed my friend's aging laserdisc player and rented a copy of the Japanese release from a video store. Around ten years ago that same friend gave me a bootleg DVD copy from the Japanese release.

In the end, however, I defer to people of color on all of this. I'm just an old white guy who enjoyed the music and the animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

floydbeatle

I purchased it two years ago on DVD specifically because people were always saying it was problematic. You could easily get it on the internet after a google search (and still can), and it is a high quality version of the movie. I'm glad someone asked the question because the reality is most of the folks who complain about the movie have NEVER seen it, or have not seen it in so long as to not even remember what was wrong with the movie in the first place.

Disneyhead'71

I was 9 when I saw it in the theater in 1972. I saw it again in 1973 as a double feature with Aristocats. The last time I watched it in it's entirety was when I saw it in it's 1980 theatrical run. I was 16.

Also, back in the early '70s I had a 12" vinyl/read-a-long book. I don't ever remember seeing it in it's entirety on Wonderful World of Disney, but if they did show it, I'm sure I watched it. I do remember them regularly showing the animated portions.

Also back in the '60s, my hillbilly Grandma Crockett would read the Uncle Remus and Little Black Sambo stories to us in the traditional folktale storyteller style. She would also sing Stephen Foster songs and Baptist Hymns to us. I have been to the Okefenokee Swamp, the Suwannee River, and the Camptown Race Track. When my first daughter was 4 my parents gave her an anthology of Uncle Remus stories that I still have.

I am familiar with the movie, the source material, and the context.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Yes...and while not “progressive”...I’m not sure it wouldn’t have ticked jim Crowe types off in 1948 for its subdued portrayals.

This is beyond silly. Today’s world is about two things:
1. Embracing stupidity and a lack of knowledge/wisdom
2. Mining the past for future grievances

And before I get labeled politically...rest assured I’m NOT that guy

Buy physical copies of all your favourites while you still can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom