Have you seen Song of the south in its entirety

Have you watched song of the south in its entirety

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

My point was why does it have to be analized? Why couldn't it just be entertainement. I'm sure Walt had no intention or thought that it was racist. I guess they could have gone with a white perfessional person from California to tell the story about Brer Rabbit. Now that I would find racist.
A movie or book that has been analyzed can still be forms of entertainment. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

You do realize that white people have told the Brer stories? Walt Disney and Joel Chandler Harris are two of them.

UNCgolf

A movie or book that has been analyzed can still be forms of entertainment. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

You do realize that white people have told the Brer stories? Walt Disney and Joel Chandler Harris are two of them.

Also James Mooney, at least to an extent. He wasn't telling the African-American Brer stories, but he recorded a Cherokee myth that is almost identical to the tar baby/briar patch story.

Robbiem

This is one Disney film I’d love to see remade for modern audiences. My understanding is that walt wanted to make an American fairy story with this movie but had to add live action to cut back costs due to war. To be honest the live action bits aren’t too good but the animated sections are good, if he had made these as shorts like the Winnie the Pooh stories would people be as offended now?

No matter how people perceive the movie now it wasn’t made to be offensive I’m sure.

Hire a good director and make a new interpretation for today’s audiences which can address the issues people have with the original in a sensitive way.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
My point was why does it have to be analized? Why couldn't it just be entertainement. I'm sure Walt had no intention or thought that it was racist. I guess they could have gone with a white perfessional person from California to tell the story about Brer Rabbit. Now that I would find racist.

Apparently you need to PM them to find out why.

LittleBuford

If you look deep enough anything can be stretched into the “woke “ absurdity now that’s among us. What a great song that came out of that movie too. We need to stop the insanity
The film was perceived as problematic even when it was released in 1948, over 70 years ago. It’s nothing to do with newfangled “woke” outrage.

And yes, I’ve seen it—many times. I had a copy on video as a child in the UK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom