Have you noticed a lot of Illinois Disney fans?

SamatBCV

Originally posted by EchoOfOphelia
This list is so funny!!!

12. You drink "pop."
---That's one thing I will never call it, its SODA people!

Whoa, you're not a Cheesehead are you? Everyone I know around here calls it Pop. :D

Whenever anyone says soda, I think of baking soda. No way do I want a soda. I want pop. Listen to it, the drink even says its name... pop pop pop...:lol:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by SamatBCV
Whoa, you're not a Cheesehead are you? Everyone I know around here calls it Pop. :D

Whenever anyone says soda, I think of baking soda. No way do I want a soda. I want pop. Listen to it, the drink even says its name... pop pop pop...:lol:

Nonnies is pretty good, but I like Papa's better over on Janes and 83rd. My second home is at the Home Depot next to that Sam's Club

:lol: I think the people down in "BanjoVille", South of I-80 call it soda :lol: j/k ;) Even most Cheeseheads I know call it Pop.... :)

I dont think I have tried Papa's.... when I used to live in Boringbrook... my friends would just call me and say "Meet me at Nonnies for drinks"... I would be like "Oh...Ok" so I got hooked on that place and there pizza. This was back before they (Nonnies) moved to there new shiny location.
I liked the old location better for some reason. :)

Nansafan

To settle this for everyone ...

Soda is either baking soda used for baking or putting in your frig to capture odors, or

Soda Water as in: "Bartender, I'll have a Scotch and Soda."

Pop is: Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Fresca etc.

Yellow Shoes

Well...............................no--I don't agree.

However, I can live with it. We downstaters are very adaptable--we can speak 2 languages. And since Cook Countians are soooo easily confused, I usually call it soda pop when I talk to them.

We also know the difference between
their
there
and
they're

They're going there to get their soda.

pepsistar

:D Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm POP POP POP POP POP POP

I agree, A soda is ice cream plus a soda type beverage- Right???? :)

I am originally from Joliet-- ( "NO"!! Not the State facility! ha ha )

Now living in the Fort Lauderdale area. Saw a couple of more people from the "ole" home town-- was really surprised when I saw the name pop up! :sohappy: :wave:

Came down here to work for Eastern Airlines-- ( opps dating myself ), and ended up staying-- When I was flying and very new, on one of my first flights I was on a New York flight :cry: when someone asked me for a soda-- I replied we do not have soda on the airplane!!! We do not have ice cream-- Well, this passenger kept asking me for a soda and was getting very upset-- Then he finally asked me for a Pepsi-- and I said OH POP!! LOL WHY didn't you say so!! :D

Miss the place---:brick: sometimes-- I check it out on the wx bug cam, just to see what is happening-- you know the snow and all that fun stuff-- LOL :wave:

mandib

Yes I would be another one from Illinois. Lyons in fact. It's right next door to Brookfield if ya know where that's at! The zoo! hehe We just go to Disney cuz its warm and has color instead of the boring pollution we see! lol

mandib

It's pop! lol This is one of those things that everyone asks and it's pop. That might just be that I call it that since I'm 14 but I don't know that's what it is and I have to leave for Great America now!! 8th grade trip!

Dwarful

Funny that the thread has taken on this dilema. My oldest daughter just finished First Grade, well her teacher was from Chicago, we live downstate (for us its central Illinois, from the northerners though its Southern Illinois..to us S.I. is Carbondale, Metropolis etc.) ANYWAY, our daughter insisted on calling soda "pop" and rooting for the "Bears" (we drew the line at letting her become a Cubs fan!) anyway, we thought it would work out ok because she would have a different teacher for 2nd grade! Well we just found out her teacher is moving up to 2nd grade and a new 1st grade teacher is taking her place due to a retirement! So now our own personal soda/pop war will go on for yet another year...and she is turning our 3 yr old against us on this issue as well! I guess it could be worse..she could be dangling her participles....now where is that soda at? ;)

celticdog

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
I'm going to the Jewel to get some pop. Wanna come with??

Are Jewel's still around? I grew up in the 'burbs' out in DuPage County, but have not been back since 1984.

What ever became of Great America?

DisneyCP2000

Wow, so many new posts...

*Well I've never had to deal with the pop/soda debate. I just call it Coke all the time. :lol:
*Great America is growing and growing...in recent years they've added some great thrill rides. Some include Raging Bull (200ft rc), Viper (wooden), Superman Flight (flying rc that replaced shockwave), V2 & DeJaVu, and a couple others.
*Plus Jewel's still around, but there's plenty of competition around the city now. You got your choice of Dominck's, Food For Less, Cubs, CertiSavers and the like, Pete's Produce (getting more popular now). Does anyone really call it 'The Jewel'? I've never heard that before!?!?

SamatBCV

We've called it The Jewel and Jewel. Depends on whether you dangle a participle or not ;) Jewel doesn't have as much competition out here in the burbs. Sure the other places exist, but there's probably 3 Jewels for each of them.

By the way, I remember being critisized on a high school paper for dangling a participle. I was a science guy, I didn't even know what was wrong with it. What's worse is that it was my biology teacher that pointed it out.

Dwarful

I am pretty sure that dangling a participle is predominately an "Illinois" thing. In my area we don't have Jewel, but nearly everyone calls "Famous Barr" "Famous N Barr" or "Famous & Barr." Anything to let us talk more.

We've called it The Jewel and Jewel. Depends on whether you dangle a participle or not ;) Jewel doesn't have as much competition out here in the burbs. Sure the other places exist, but there's probably 3 Jewels for each of them.

By the way, I remember being critisized on a high school paper for dangling a participle. I was a science guy, I didn't even know what was wrong with it. What's worse is that it was my biology teacher that pointed it out.

Okay I have never called it the Jewel. So I am surprised to hear that others do. I go to Jewel to buy Pop. I remember being in the Dells and I went to the hotel lobby to ask the front desk attendant for a bag to put the rest of my pop in. I got a blank stare, until she asked me, "do you mean your soda". That was a reality check for me cause I had no idea the word pop was unfamiliar to anyone else:lol:

And yeah like SamatBCV said, what is the deal with the participle or whatever its called?:lookaroun :veryconfu

Originally posted by pepsistar

I am originally from Joliet-- ( "NO"!! Not the State facility! ha ha )

Miss the place---:brick: sometimes-- I check it out on the wx bug cam, just to see what is happening-- you know the snow and all that fun stuff-- LOL

From good ole Joliet too. Live near the facility, not in it:animwink:

That fun stuff also includes the tornadoes and severe weather we are having now? Do you really miss that?:p

GenerationX

My wife and I have an ongoing argument about whether or not you can end a sentence with a preposition. Being from downstate (Peoria), she will say it is grammatically incorrect. As a lifelong resident of Chicagoland, I will argue the opposite. I used to argue with her because the use of sentence-ending prepositions is so common around here that I thought it must be grammatically correct. Now, I just argue with her to be contrary. :lol:

I'm going to the Jewel to get some pop. Wanna come with??
Sure, after da Bearssss game is over with.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by DisneyCP2000

*Plus Jewel's still around, but there's plenty of competition around the city now. You got your choice of Dominck's, Food For Less, Cubs, CertiSavers and the like, Pete's Produce (getting more popular now). Does anyone really call it 'The Jewel'? I've never heard that before!?!?

I shop at Cub... and Jewel (no "the") :lol:

But I have heard people call "Cub Foods": Cubs, The Cub, Club,...lol But most often I hear 'going shoppin at "the cub" and "cubs" :lol:

mkymaus

Account Suspended
HEY! HEY! HOLY COW!
Yes, yet another Chicagoan! Raised on the northwest side and currently live in beautiful Crystal Lake!

Heading down to Disney in 4 days and just in time, cause this weather here is the WORST!:hammer:

Hopin' for some fun in the sun. We visit every year in June and sometimes in October too!

:sohappy:

Oh and out here we have Dominick's and The Jewel...we shop at Dominick's more than The Jewel...LOL and to settle this thing its POP, not soda! LOL My husband is from the east coast and he calls it soda and my kids and I just look at him with a blank stare like he is speaking a different language. :veryconfu He just doesnt get it...its POP! :king:

DisneyCP2000

You'll love the weather down there. It's just SOOOOO nice! But be prepared when you get back...I got back at 1am in shorts and I was FreeZing!

PS... It usually rains in FL so DON'T FORGET THE PONCHOS! Disney charges guests out the wah-zoo for thiers.

could you believe it...we still have the wind chill factor in JUNE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom