Haunted Mansion

BuddyThomas

Skimmed the critic reviews and thus far the commonality between them is how the star-studded cast basically phone it in, the heavy use of dated CGI and subbing in fan service where story and mythos should have been added. Seems Disney opted to once again play it safe.
The critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes actually says the following:

Haunted Mansion's talented cast makes the movie a pleasant enough destination, although it's neither scary nor funny enough to wholeheartedly recommend.”

So it doesn’t sound like the cast “phoned it in”.

I’ll know in a few hours.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
The critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes actually says the following:

Haunted Mansion's talented cast makes the movie a pleasant enough destination, although it's neither scary nor funny enough to wholeheartedly recommend.”

So it doesn’t sound like the cast “phoned it in”.

I’ll know in a few hours.
Bring a shot glass. Take a sip whenever a one-liner elicits a groan instead of a guffaw.

celluloid

Disappointing, but not surprising, that Disney made the same mistakes they did 20 years ago.
I would watch the first one again before this because they know better. That and the writing of this one just makes it feel like the same issues of Ghostbusters 2016 attempt.

It is not funny to me. It's awkward forced interactions where all characters seem to know they are in a comedy. Not the situation providing the humor.

BuddyThomas

I would watch the first one again before this because they know better. That and the writing of this one just makes it feel like the same issues of Ghostbusters 2016 attempt.

It is not funny to me. It's awkward forced interactions where all characters seem to know they are in a comedy. Not the situation providing the humor.
Oh wait, you saw it already?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well that’s a question of scale as well. In 2019, Netflix spent more on content than twice the three biggest competitors (including D+ in its infancy) combined.

So that’s a steep drop - for sure…but at a much higher starting point in dollars of the day.
A drop is still a drop, doesn't matter what 2019 content spend was we're almost 5 years later.

Obviously Peter Pan and fantasia were free.
There is a cost associated with all content, even if you don't want to see its value its still paid.

The silly Hollywood guys think 26 year olds with $310,000 in undergraduate debt will be subscribing to 6 streaming services at $50 a month in 5 years…
You're assuming that there will be 6 or more streaming services in 5 years....

Maybe it'll only be 2 left, maybe it'll be Disney and Netflix as the only remaining services when all is said and done. Who knows, I know your opinion on it. Only thing left to do is wait and see....

…when everyone knows that will be for their iPhone and VR adult film headset😎
Maybe they will, Disney just partnered with Apple on Vision Pro, so Disney will still be in front of their eyeballs no matter what other "content" they look at on what ever device is used.

A broken clock is right at least 1.99 times a day
More like 2.54......

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A drop is still a drop, doesn't matter what 2019 content spend was we're almost 5 years later.

There is a cost associated with all content, even if you don't want to see its value its still paid.

You're assuming that there will be 6 or more streaming services in 5 years....

Maybe it'll only be 2 left, maybe it'll be Disney and Netflix as the only remaining services when all is said and done. Who knows, I know your opinion on it. Only thing left to do is wait and see....

Maybe they will, Disney just partnered with Apple on Vision Pro, so Disney will still be in front of their eyeballs no matter what other "content" they look at on what ever device is used.

More like 2.54......
Dust huffing will rot your brain…

But I’ll make you a deal: I’ll believe bobs vague Disney+ numbers when you believe that nobody will want to see “kang dynasty”

More than fair 😂

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Dust huffing will rot your brain…

But I’ll make you a deal: I’ll believe bobs vague Disney+ numbers when you believe that nobody will want to see “kang dynasty”

More than fair 😂
There is nothing to believe, as the proof will be in the numbers as time goes on. If it stays red, then so be it. But if it goes black, then you have to admit the numbers work. But I don't think you'll ever admit it even if the proof is there.

And because I know there will always be people who will want to see MCU content, I'll never agree to "nobody" wanting to see Kang Dynasty.

Anyways lets take this discussion to another thread, we've veered off course here too much.

TalkingHead

Funny thing about Haunted Mansion is if Disney had gone with Guillermo, it would’ve been similar to what WB did with Barbie: handing IP over to a proven filmmaker with distinctive voice and vision.

Gerwig (and Baumbach) showed that can pay off. Knowing how Guillermo prefers practical effects, this could’ve really had a unique look and feel. It certainly would’ve sold some tickets to see what he cooked up with Disney’s blessing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Funny thing about Haunted Mansion is if Disney had gone with Guillermo, it would’ve been similar to what WB did with Barbie: handing IP over to a proven filmmaker with distinctive voice and vision.

Gerwig (and Baumbach) showed that can pay off. Knowing how Guillermo prefers practical effects, this could’ve really had a unique look and feel. It certainly would’ve sold some tickets to see what he cooked up with Disney’s blessing.
One of the reported reasons they didn't go with Guillermo was because his vision was too scary for what Disney wanted to do at the time.

Who knows if audiences would have accept it or not.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Because we all know horror as a genre rarely sells tickets.
Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. Horror genre sells tickets but limits audience size and isn't consistent in getting huge box office numbers.

For example none of the horror genre films this year have broke $100M domestic.

So a horror genre Haunted Mansion film likely wouldn't have been seen as family friendly as Disney would like it to be, thus less appeal to the Disney audience.

But again who knows how it would have really turned out.

celluloid

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. Horror genre sells tickets but limits audience size and isn't consistent in getting huge box office numbers.

For example none of the horror genre films this year have broke $100M domestic.

So a horror genre Haunted Mansion film likely wouldn't have been seen as family friendly as Disney would like it to be, thus less appeal to the Disney audience.

But again who knows how it would have really turned out.

It was last year but I think Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness is enough to be considered horror. Anchored by a comic book character.

Haunted Mansion could have had the same level of horror(Rami would have actually have been an interesting choice) and had the Disney branded theme park attraction to anchor it the same way.

Multiverse of Madness also made over 400 million domestically.

Rami is notorious for lower budget creativity and could have easily made a HM movie bring in 200 million on an under 100 million or so budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom