Haunted Mansion

MrPromey

I'm still planning on going to see it and have had low expectations from the start, so I may enjoy it. I don't put too much stock in critic's reviews and never let them tell me what I can or can't enjoy. That said, I just looked at all the reviews and many seem to have a cadaverous pallor.... Hopefully it's at least enjoyable. I'm not expecting Schindler's List or even Pirates of the Caribbean, just something to watch for a few hours out of the blazing heat.
Looking at the summaries on Rotten Tomatoes, those for the fresh reviews read like promotional pieces Disney themselves would have written which makes me suspect, especially since the negative summaries actually provide details on what they thought was wrong.

I know we'll appreciate at least some of it for the easter eggs* if nothing else, though.

*I'm not sure you can even call references to the ride easter eggs since the trailer makes everything in the movie look like a callback to the ride... except the main villain, apparently - at least here in Florida for now. They still have what? Five months to make that happen if they decide sticking to what they promised matters this time? Still feels like it would have made some semblance of sense to have that working before this weekend though, doesn't it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To

How much of that content is actually of quality… Of the streaming services we have(Netflix, Max, Prime, Apple +, Disney +, Hulu) We watch Netflix the least… we are talking about getting rid of the service as we hardly watch it, maybe we will subscribe for a month when Stranger Things return
Well the question is: is saturation going to be less useful…in the end…than “Cadillac programming”?

Or is neither gonna work/hold?

All valid questions

SosoDude

Looking at the summaries on Rotten Tomatoes, those for the fresh reviews read like promotional pieces Disney themselves would have written which makes me suspect, especially since the negative summaries actually provide details on what they thought was wrong.

I know we'll appreciate at least some of it for the easter eggs* if nothing else, though.

*I'm not sure you can even call references to the ride easter eggs since the trailer makes everything in the movie look like a callback to the ride... except the main villain, apparently - at least here in Florida for now. They still have what? Five months to make that happen if they decide sticking to what they promised matters this time? Still feels like it would have made some semblance of sense to have that working before this weekend though, doesn't it?
Yeah, I'm really just going for the nostalgia and easter eggs. And, yes, you'd think they would have added Hatbox to Florida already. They been taking about doing it since 2018 if I recall right.

Phroobar

I don't see that happening. I think The Meg ultimately dissapointed people and this one is just a fun B movie gore chomp fest.

I imagine it will do around 45-65 million if it really takes off.

I will be shocked if it topped Cocaine Bear.

It will be enough to knock HM down another peg though.
Actually not true. The Meg made $530 million world wide. $384 million internationally. It actually made a profit on this Chinese funded movie. I think the Meg 2 should do fairly well especially in China.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Netflix and Disney are more alike than you realize.

I’m aware all are cutting back

Does that mean the consumers are more likely to pay ransoms for their stream?

You’re right…they are a lot alike. And it’s why Bob is so whiny

MrPromey

Yeah, I'm really just going for the nostalgia and easter eggs. And, yes, you'd think they would have added Hatbox to Florida already. They been taking about doing it since 2018 if I recall right.
From the D23 announcement, it's supposed to happen this year.

Allegedly, the physical prop was made at the same time the one for DL was and has been sitting in storage, since.

Either way, I'm guessing the original internal pan was to do this to coincide with the movie. Maybe they were even planning to stick the studios with the bill for the upgrade as a promotional effort like they do with the new movie meet-and-greets.*

I'm guessing that it wasn't done in time for the movie suggests an internal loss in confidence in the movie.

That makes me wonder if this'll be like the theater and the trams coming back and any number of other things... keeping in mind, this was the highlight of that D23 presentation besides the blue sky/vaporware talk.

*Imagine this snake-eating-its own tale scenario - Parks charges Studios for the promo and Studios "pays" for it out of the marketing budget for the movie. Movie not going to make back it's budget and marketing costs during the theatrical run but manages to "break even" when D+ "pays" Studios for the streaming rights. D+ continues to be a money-loser at the time this deal is struck and continues to be propped up by profits from Parks but because the cost was laundered through D+ neither the Studios nor Parks take an on-paper hit for the work. Am I starting to get the hang of how the sausage gets made? :oops:

Last edited:

celluloid

Actually not true. The Meg made $530 million world wide. $384 million internationally. It actually made a profit on this Chinese funded movie. I think the Meg 2 should do fairly well especially in China.
For sure. I should have specified when I said disappointed people, I meant the audiences who saw it for the hype of the books and thought it would be the next Jaws. Fun cheese that I don't think people will rush as much to the theaters for.
Shark movies nearly always do well in Asia. I am sure it will still make a profit.

I don't see it getting close to the people who were willing to see the first in theaters. It has a production budget surprisingly nearly as high as the first one, but China as you said, is still likely a safe bet.

Last edited:

Phroobar

For sure. I should have specified when I said disappointed people, I meant the audiences who saw it for the hype of the books and thought it would be the next Jaws. Fun cheese that I don't think people will rush as much to the theaters for.
Shark movies nearly always do well in Asia. I am sure it will still make a profit.

I don't see it getting close to the people who were willing to see the first in theaters. It has a production budget surprisingly nearly as high as the first one, but China as you said, is still likely a safe bet.
Exactly. I saw the first one in theater. It was fun but was disappointing at the same time since I expected something very different. Besides, I can't stand Ruby Rose. However, China will love the new movie.

MrPromey

To be fair, I haven't liked most Disney/Pixar movies we've paid to see in theaters for a while now but none were so bad I'd try demanding my money back for a ticket or anything.

Which is to say, I wouldn't call most of them good but I also wouldn't say they were awful.

I've sat through worse than Lightyear and Strange World.

I wasn't a fan of Elemental mostly because of some weird plot-points and weird unevenness with some characters being given rich motivation and story growth while other important characters were left entirely two-dimensional to move the story along. That stood out for me enough to not really enjoy it but at the same time, I don't think it was a bad movie. It just failed to deliver on the legacy of either Disney or Pixar in the way I believe it should have, could have, and under previous leadership, would have.

If I don't like Mansion, I'll be back to say so but I don't expect I'll absolutely hate it.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Yikes it’s now at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes. Wish I noticed that before I scored a ticket for tonight’s early access screening. Should say I was barely able to score a ticket. This is tonight’s auditorium:

3A294A36-9152-4E59-B9BE-1790876C8410.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m aware all are cutting back
If you are aware then you know Netflix isn't pouring money into "originals" as they were. Again making them more like Disney, funny how that works.

Does that mean the consumers are more likely to pay ransoms for their stream?
Well that is up to the market to determine. If consumers ends up "cutting from the cord cutting services" then things will shift again and move in that direction. And Hollywood will go after that market and try to monetize it, just like always.

You’re right
Glad you can finally acknowledge it. ;)

LittleBuford

Yikes it’s now at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes. Wish I noticed that before I scored a ticket for tonight’s early access screening. Should say I was barely able to score a ticket. This is tonight’s auditorium:

View attachment 733287
Judge it for yourself; you may like it! I imagine being a Disney parks fan will make it that much more enjoyable.

DKampy

Judge it for yourself; you may like it! I imagine being a Disney parks fan will make it that much more enjoyable.
yeah….I am watching it as a Disney fan…I am not expecting it to be one of my favorite movies of the year or anything, but as a fan of the ride, I think I will have fun with it…in fact some of the reviews have even mentioned Disny fan will enjoy it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you are aware then you know Netflix isn't pouring money into "originals" as they were. Again making them more like Disney, funny how that works.
Well that’s a question of scale as well. In 2019, Netflix spent more on content than twice the three biggest competitors (including D+ in its infancy) combined.

So that’s a steep drop - for sure…but at a much higher starting point in dollars of the day.
Obviously Peter Pan and fantasia were free.
Well that is up to the market to determine. If consumers ends up "cutting from the cord cutting services" then things will shift again and move in that direction. And Hollywood will go after that market and try to monetize it, just like always.
Pretty much write that in. The silly Hollywood guys think 26 year olds with $310,000 in undergraduate debt will be subscribing to 6 streaming services at $50 a month in 5 years…
…when everyone knows that will be for their iPhone and VR adult film headset😎
Glad you can finally acknowledge it. ;)
A broken clock is right at least 1.99 times a day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom