Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes. It is a problem. It is just as lazy and detrimental to the experience as it is when guests are forced to skip the Rey Projection room and Shuttle portion of Rise of the Resistance and are forced to go through the "chicken exit" to enter the Star Destroyer . Stepping into the actual facade and going into the Stretching Room is vital to the whole experience.
In reality a large portion of these guests that are "skipping" the Stretching Room are likely not first time guests. So most if not all have ridden it multiple times, and are likely the one who repeat every line in the Stretching Room anyways. So it gives those who haven't ever experienced HM a better experience.

So in my opinion having this "short cut" is not a bad thing, especially if its giving guests the choice of whether to "skip" or stay in line and wait. Think of this as the "alternate" FP line, since most FP lines tend to skip the queue experience which the Stretching Room is part of anyways.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

In reality a large portion of these guests that are "skipping" the Stretching Room are likely not first time guests. So most if not all have ridden it multiple times, and are likely the one who repeat every line in the Stretching Room anyways. So it gives those who haven't ever experienced HM a better experience.

So in my opinion having this "short cut" is not a bad thing, especially if its giving guests the choice of whether to "skip" or stay in line and wait. Think of this as the "alternate" FP line, since most FP lines tend to skip the queue experience which the Stretching Room is part of anyways.
Does not matter. This should not be done on principal alone. Plenty of Riders for RISE at Disneyland and especially Disneyworld ride it on a daily basis. check out the boarding group thread, the same people get boarding groups for it daily so it does not matter if they are a new rider or not, if they miss a key piece of the transaction on purpose they get upset and demand a fastpass from guest services. Its bad show all around. There is no discussion here. Its an awful decision that hurts the experience. and when the this ride had fastpass it never skipped the Stretching Room.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Does not matter. This should not be done on principal alone. Plenty of Riders for RISE at Disneyland and especially Disneyworld ride it on a daily basis. check out the boarding group thread, the same people get boarding groups for it daily so it does not matter if they are a new rider or not, if they miss a key piece of the transaction on purpose they get upset and demand a fastpass from guest services. Its bad show all around. There is no discussion here. Its an awful decision that hurts the experience. and when the this ride had fastpass it never skipped the Stretching Room.
I get your opinion but I just disagree with you here. And judging by the posts on this topic so far you're in the minority on this one. All the videos I've seen so far of this showed people still in line, so it seemed like CM were giving guests a choice for the most part. So just like FP no one was forced into this as far as I can tell. If someone wants to take this "short cut", just like they do with FP, and get the lesser experience that is their right even if you don't agree with it. And I don't see anyone complaining on any of the videos. So obviously they aren't feeling cheated.

As for whether Disney should do this or not, well that is also a matter of opinion. We're in a transition period right now. Experiences were NEVER going to be 100% what they were pre-2020. That is just a fact that any guest going right now has to accept, and I believe they are.

And just on a personal note, I would actually like this to become the new FP line when FP starts up again. Doing that would lessen the wait time in the regular queue line.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I get your opinion but I just disagree with you here. And judging by the posts on this topic so far you're in the minority on this one. All the videos I've seen so far of this showed people still in line, so it seemed like CM were giving guests a choice for the most part. So just like FP no one was forced into this as far as I can tell. If someone wants to take this "short cut", just like they do with FP, and get the lesser experience that is their right even if you don't agree with it. And I don't see anyone complaining on any of the videos. So obviously they aren't feeling cheated.

As for whether Disney should do this or not, well that is also a matter of opinion. We're in a transition period right now. Experiences were NEVER going to be 100% what they were pre-2020. That is just a fact that any guest going right now has to accept, and I believe they are.

And just on a personal note, I would actually like this to become the new FP line when FP starts up again. Doing that would lessen the wait time in the regular queue line.
I am ok with being in the minority of this one. Haunted Mansion is a perfect attraction along with the previous version of Pirates. They are lightning in a bottle and we all know how easy that is to re-create. The point is they are fundamental staples of Disneyland and any Disney visit. Over the years some changes have been made but the core experience has remained the same. The way it was designed to be. Messing with that I will never be ok with even if I am alone. And here is nickel's worth of free advice. This is just the first. If you are ok with this awful change in operations eventually Disney will get to one you do care about. By giving them a pass on this it will be open season on all rides. Fans should demand better and not accept short cuts because what they are already doing on a new attraction such as RISE and an all time classic attraction in Haunted Mansion won't be outliers. It will be just the start.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am ok with being in the minority of this one. Haunted Mansion is a perfect attraction along with the previous version of Pirates. They are lightning in a bottle and we all know how easy that is to re-create. The point is they are fundamental staples of Disneyland and any Disney visit. Over the years some changes have been made but the core experience has remained the same. The way it was designed to be. Messing with that I will never be ok with even if I am alone. And here is nickel's worth of free advice. This is just the first. If you are ok with this awful change in operations eventually Disney will get to one you do care about. By giving them a pass on this it will be open season on all rides. Fans should demand better and not accept short cuts because what they are already doing on a new attraction such as RISE and an all time classic attraction in Haunted Mansion won't be outliers. It will be just the start.
Well here is a 5 cent refund, as ultimately I know I'm powerless in anything that Disney does with their Parks. We are guests, we don't own it. We go to experience what they have to offer. If they choose to change anything that is their right as they own it. Your right is only whether you choose to continue to go or not.

So in reality there will never be any change that Disney will make that will affect me as much this apparently affects you. Not saying that you aren't entitled to those feelings. But I will never feel the same way. That is not to say I don't love the Disney Parks, Disneyland specifically. But I don't get overly invested in an object that I have no control over. Everyone is different, and I can appreciate that you have deep feelings about this. Please respect that my feelings are different.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Would you accept it if:

a) the utility corridor aka "Servant Quarters Hallway" were more heavily-themed?
b) included alternate Ghost Host audio specifically tailored for this area?
No. I don't accept it on principal alone. No self respecting Haunted Mansion fan would want to enter the ride other going through the facade and directly into the Stretching Room on principal alone.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Well here is a 5 cent refund, as ultimately I know I'm powerless in anything that Disney does with their Parks. We are guests, we don't own it. We go to experience what they have to offer. If they choose to change anything that is their right as they own it. Your right is only whether you choose to continue to go or not.

So in reality there will never be any change that Disney will make that will affect me as much this apparently affects you. Not saying that you aren't entitled to those feelings. But I will never feel the same way. That is not to say I don't love the Disney Parks, Disneyland specifically. But I don't get overly invested in an object that I have no control over. Everyone is different, and I can appreciate that you have deep feelings about this. Please respect that my feelings are different.
Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride of all time. I am ok with a lot of the changes they made over the years..well except Constance, naturally. I give them a lot of leeway but this, this is unaccpetable to me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride of all time. I am ok with a lot of the changes they made over the years..well except Constance, naturally. I give them a lot of leeway but this, this is unaccpetable to me.
And I get it, but this so far isn't permanent. However that doesn't change the fact that Disney is going to do what they feel they need to right now. As I said at this point no one has said this is a permanent change. Its likely a temporary thing done to keep the attraction running efficiently for capacity and still maintain social distancing requirements. I get you don't like this on principal, but thing have to be adjusted for the next couple of months.

As I said previously I had expected them to do this anyways when the park reopened, especially had they reopened last July. As I didn't think they would be able to have the Stretching Room running anyways. So they is likely an "overflow" option they have to allow guests the choice to get on faster so the queue doesn't balloon up to 6 hours waits.

Anyways once things get back to 100% capacity I don't anticipate this still being a thing. But personally I wouldn't be opposed to this becoming the new FP line as I mentioned before.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

And I get it, but this so far isn't permanent. However that doesn't change the fact that Disney is going to do what they feel they need to right now. As I said at this point no one has said this is a permanent change. Its likely a temporary thing done to keep the attraction running efficiently for capacity and still maintain social distancing requirements. I get you don't like this on principal, but thing have to be adjusted for the next couple of months.

As I said previously I had expected them to do this anyways when the park reopened, especially had they reopened last July. As I didn't think they would be able to have the Stretching Room running anyways. So they is likely an "overflow" option they have to allow guests the choice to get on faster so the queue doesn't balloon up to 6 hours waits.

Anyways once things get back to 100% capacity I don't anticipate this still being a thing. But personally I wouldn't be opposed to this becoming the new FP line as I mentioned before.
I think they are going to try to make this a regular thing from this point forward and I am not ok with that.

waltography

This could be an ADA violation.
I'm looking through ADA documentation right now as it pertains to amusement rides and there's nothing stating wait times must be equitable (there's nothing about queues at all), just that accessible routes exist. Please correct me though because I'm lost in this documentation. 😂

el_super

It is no different than other places that offer stairs and an elevator where a line can build for the elevator. Or anything else that provides access but is limited like toilets or parking spaces.

It is different from your standard office elevator, since most offices don't have posted wait times or secondary experiences at the end of those elevators. Admittedly it is a bit of a grey area. Disney could probably resolve this by making all guests use the stairs, except those requiring the elevator and eliminate the wait time there.

Of course they can also claim that the HM predates the ADA and should he grandfathered in, but why not make everyone use the elevator to be fair?

el_super

I don’t know how they’re handling it. Buts it’s an easy fix. Let them through the pet graveyard ramp. They wait outside the stretching room for the same amount of time the guests waiting to get into the crypt wait. Reasonable enough?

Yeah exactly... As long as the wait time was the same (or reasonably similar) they would be providing equal access.

Even if, by the letter of the law, HM was exempt, it still looks REALLY bad if you tell a disabled guest their wait will be 8x longer because they can't take the stairs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think they are going to try to make this a regular thing from this point forward and I am not ok with that.
We don't know that, its just posters opinions here. There is no indication so far that its going to be a regular thing. I wouldn't be opposed to it if they did, but understand your opinion. But even if they do doesn't mean YOU have to experience it that way. Just like any other "short cut" or "bypass" that Disney may offer on an attraction doesn't mean you have to do it. You can still go through the regular queue and experience the Stretching Room just like the Imagineers wanted.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

We don't know that, its just posters opinions here. There is no indication so far that its going to be a regular thing. I wouldn't be opposed to it if they did, but understand your opinion. But even if they do doesn't mean YOU have to experience it that way. Just like any other "short cut" or "bypass" that Disney may offer on an attraction doesn't mean you have to do it. You can still go through the regular queue and experience the Stretching Room just like the Imagineers wanted.
It shouldn't be an option period whether I use it or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom