• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Sharon&Susan

The whole "Master Gracey" affair started as a tribute Imagineer Yale Gracey, so does anyone know who the Tokyo headstone might be referring to?
The HM fan wiki I found that picture from says it's named after Mike West (with no source of course) who according to his LinkedIn started started working at WED in 1980 so it's plausible at the very least.

They may've just changed the name to fit the rhyming scheme of the other tombstones (West, Rest, Request).

Last edited:

180º

Can we talk about how great the mansion looks now though? The graveyard scene is gorgeous, scrims either cleaned or replaced and practically invisible, all the ghosts shining bright.

The inside has been so polished and restored.
Light levels in Mansion (and Pirates) are fantastic! Shockingly dark in a good way, and very focused on scenery. There is one odd new spotlight in the corridor of doors that grazes the height of one of the walls, revealing how crazy tall that scene is compared its counterpart in Florida. Graveyard looks the best it has in years. If the scrims were always this clean, they could add those painted fog banks back in from 1969. The hitchhiking ghosts in their tableau are clean and bright, but their motion is very limited and stiff for some reason.

celluloid

That's cool.

I think the tombstones were perfect in their meta tributes without making them a part of some story. They were just jokes. Then WDW decided to get cute and add stupid crap like the Dredd Family, the sailor tomb blowing bubbles and that other garbage.

Yeah, subtley went out the window and the concept of the ghosts rarely manifesting themselves until they materialize later in the attraction was destoryed.
Now we have a queue of 1313 Dead End Drive.

AL2000HS

I saw a video today that they didn't even use the stretching rooms at one point yesterday. They used the side entrance used for emergencies. When I worked there that was a big no no cause well it's an emergency exit.

Disney Analyst

11:45 mark

Interesting - I wonder if at a certain line length they’ll end up skipping the stretching room? As they were using them on day one for sure.

Or maybe they’ve decided to stop using them due to the inefficiency right now? I think it’s only 4-5 groups in one stretching room.

AL2000HS

Interesting - I wonder if at a certain line length they’ll end up skipping the stretching room? As they were using them on day one for sure.

Or maybe they’ve decided to stop using them due to the inefficiency right now? I think it’s only 4-5 groups in one stretching room.
I thought the line as well (if they run out of space) but I also recalled they had a lengthy downtime yesterday which could be the reason they did this? Idk.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

11:45 mark
NOOOOO!!! This is complete crap!!! what is this?!!!! Disneyworld?!!!! We go through a side crypt now?!!!!!!!!!!!! this is unacceptable!!!! then to make it worse they decorate a cast member hallway with items from the mansion that don't fit the environment or colors. This is a slap in the face to mansion fans!!!!

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I thought the line as well (if they run out of space) but I also recalled they had a lengthy downtime yesterday which could be the reason they did this? Idk.

Maybe they can offer two experiences… a line for those willing to wait for the severely reduced capacity stretching rooms, and one for those who just want to get on the ride?

Is that sacrilegious of me? I fully understand why they may decide to skip them… we are going to end up with a giant line while the loading area is practically empty… all due to a hold up at the stretching rooms.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
NOOOOO!!! This is complete crap!!! what is this?!!!! Disneyworld?!!!! We go through a side crypt now?!!!!!!!!!!!! this is unacceptable!!!! then to make it worse the decorate a cast member hallway with items from the mansion that dont fit the environment or colors. this is a slap in the face to mansion fans!!!!
. . . Calm down.

Literally every other video since reopening shows them using the Stretching Room. Even in this video you can see people standing in the regular Queue for the Mansion, so it's likely that either these people had some sort of special access to the attraction that skipped the main line or something was up and this was a temporary solution to keep the ride loading. The park almost certainly can't afford to lose capacity these days just because of a technical issue, maybe this is a backup to keep the ride operational.

This isn't the new standard.

DavidDL

This has to be a temporary capacity thing.

Mansion is one of the most efficient rides in the park, it gobbles up the folks inside very quickly. However, folks aren't getting inside fast due to the 5 party limit inside each stretching room. Mansion is at a 45 minute wait while everything else in the park is 5 to 20 minutes. Because of the stretching room delays, most likely.

So they opened and loosely decorated the "chicken exit" in an attempt to push more people through so the omnimover isn't mostly empty all day long.

I don't like the way it looks or that experience, it looks bad. But I'm certain this is just a product of the current restrictions, it won't last forever. Honestly, I'd rather wait the 45 minutes and get the stretching room.

But this at least gives Disney an out to keep running Mansion in case COVID restrictions tighten for some reason. If the stretching room was forbidden by some update to CA health, then the entire ride would have had to shut down. But with this temp side entrance, it wouldn't.

DisneyExpert

This has to be a temporary capacity thing.

Mansion is one of the most efficient rides in the park, it gobbles up the folks inside very quickly. However, folks aren't getting inside fast due to the 5 party limit inside each stretching room. Mansion is at a 45 minute wait while everything else in the park is 5 to 20 minutes. Because of the stretching room delays, most likely.

So they opened and loosely decorated the "chicken exit" in an attempt to push more people through so the omnimover isn't mostly empty all day long.

I don't like the way it looks or that experience, it looks bad. But I'm certain this is just a product of the current restrictions, it won't last forever. Honestly, I'd rather wait the 45 minutes and get the stretching room.

But this at least gives Disney an out to keep running Mansion in case COVID restrictions tighten for some reason. If the stretching room was forbidden by some update to CA health, then the entire ride would have had to shut down. But with this temp side entrance, it wouldn't.

The fact that they bothered to lightly dress it with props is pretty great, honestly. Most backstage areas are jarringly utilitarian, especially when coming directly from onstage.

dlr74

Yesterday when we rode, there was a 45 minute queue and they had everyone going through the stretching room. But when we got in line, they grabbed our party and a few more behind us and asked if we were okay with stairs. Then they took us through the side passageway and through the lightly themed ramp. We ended up at the loading station and had skipped the whole queue. We waited maybe 5 minutes while everyone else waited 45.

When entered the queue it was extended behind the FP distribution area near the railroad station.

Disney Analyst

Yesterday when we rode, there was a 45 minute queue and they had everyone going through the stretching room. But when we got in line, they grabbed our party and a few more behind us and asked if we were okay with stairs. Then they took us through the side passageway and through the lightly themed ramp. We ended up at the loading station and had skipped the whole queue. We waited maybe 5 minutes while everyone else waited 45.

When entered the queue it was extended behind the FP distribution area near the railroad station.

I'd just do that over and over if they'd let me haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom