• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Animaniac93-98

The leak tracing to the Rivers of America again falls apart when looking at the actual context of the Magic Kingdom. The main walkway of Liberty Square is a whole level above the water line

Hence why the Riverboat dock has two levels:

1621209326597.png

You can also see from this angle how much higher than the river HM's queue is.

KIGhostGuy

I’m very curious, I had always heard the water table story. If the water table wasn’t a problem, why isn’t the WDW Stretching Room an elevator?

By the way, I don’t understand the anti-Sinister 11 sentiment. I guess people on this board must not like April-December and Medusa, since both of those were turned into Sinister 11 paintings.

Sharon&Susan

I’m very curious, I had always heard the water table story. If the water table wasn’t a problem, why isn’t the WDW Stretching Room an elevator?

By the way, I don’t understand the anti-Sinister 11 sentiment. I guess people on this board must not like April-December and Medusa, since both of those were turned into Sinister 11 paintings.
Walt didn't like the Rasputin portrait of the Sinister 11 either, but not because of the art more for the legal troubles it could bring him.

lazyboy97o

My guess would be that they thought the simpler mechanism was not a detriment to the show. You’re not supposed to be aware that you are descending.

Not known at the time, but the Florida/Tokyo setup does allow the Rapid De-Stretch that was apparently quite the experience.

owlsandcoffee

Give this a read!

lazyboy97o

Give this a read!
Foxxy is a great and thoughtful resource but I think she completely skips over the easiest explanation. The stretching mechanism at the Magic Kingdom is a lot simpler than the one at Disneyland. While Walt Disney World Phase 1 ended up four times over budget, there was still a lot of thought behind efficiencies in the Magic Kingdom. Someone realized they could do it in a way that was cheaper and easier to maintain.

At the beginning she also oddly conflates sea level, water level and the water table. They’re not the same thing. There are areas in Central Florida where the water table can be only a few feet below the surface. But again, this one story of an elevator with water in it (which is not unusual and elevator pits typically have a sump pump) just doesn’t make sense when you consider that it wasn’t enough to close the ride for an extended period of time as one would expect from a catastrophic leak and the feats of waterproofing that were happening elsewhere on the project. The entire Jungle Cruise and Castle moat could leak into the utilidors. That’d be a lot worse than the Rivers of America leaking into an elevator pit that could be pumped out.

raven24

Mick and I don’t dislike the Sinister 11 portraits. We specifically dislike the portrait with the woman with a unibrow standing over the seated man with a po*n stache and are glad it’s not in our version.

trojanjustin

The stretching room at DL is more than just a show, it's to get you under the train tracks and into the show building. Conversely, there was no such need to "descend" at WDW, as the show building is attached to the facade and no train tracks interfering.

DisneyExpert

The lack of elevators in FL is pretty simple. There's no train tracks to get guests beyond, so why go through the expense of building the elevators, when the same show can be done with pulleys and ropes? WDW's HM enters, loads, and exits at the same level, but the stretch room scene (born out of necessity in CA) was too iconic to not include.

It has nothing to do with the water table, which wouldn't make a lot of sense in the first place, since the park itself is built on the 2nd floor of the complex. As it is, there are several elevators in the park, including up from the Utilidors. The water table thing is largely just one of those Disney urban legends.

George Lucas on a Bench

HM was too new and built roughly at the same time to consider the elongating wood-paneled room too iconic not to include. It seems more like they intended the HM at WDW to be almost the same as the DL version with the exception of some small additions and subtractions, had a different design for the house itself in mind than what was ultimately built, possibly including a height and width similar to the DL house with a colonial style (This makes a lot of sense, as it would be a lot simpler to just repeat the schematics for the MK rather than start from scratch), then realized either due to redesign of the outside for a stylistic change or indeed because they decided they didn't need to have the lifts and could do it a different way, the house ended up the way it is.

DavidDL

Haunted Mansion was rough today. Like, it was in really bad shape. The Boundless Realm was unsightly levels of bright. I walked straight in so not much time to adjust to the dark and all the blank, (glue covered?) walls were super visible to the naked eye. Additionally, Madame Leota’s face was missing entirely (no projection at all) and the audio both in the doombuggy and around us was fading in and out.

Super disappointing, especially considering it just came back up from an extended refurb. :(

DrAlice

Haunted Mansion was rough today. Like, it was in really bad shape. The Boundless Realm was unsightly levels of bright. I walked straight in so not much time to adjust to the dark and all the blank, (glue covered?) walls were super visible to the naked eye. Additionally, Madame Leota’s face was missing entirely (no projection at all) and the audio both in the doombuggy and around us was fading in and out.

Super disappointing, especially considering it just came back up from an extended refurb. :(
Wow. That's disappointing. I thought it looked great when we were there at the start of the month. I wonder what happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom