News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

Creathir

Pirates. Specifically on the drop.

Not so much poor maintenance, but moreso lack of security camera watching to see if some dumbo kid stand up right before the drop. There's supposed to be two people in tower (according to the ooooooold old manual). One person watching the station dock, and one person watching all the security cameras for the whole ride. Alas, there is only one.
We got evacuated from Pirates a few trips back and our boat was stuck right near the top of the drop.

They ended up pulling a rope over and latching the front of the boat, unloading the middle of the boat, then the front, and finally those of us in the back 2 rows.

As the boat approached the drop, a grinding noise came from under the boat which I’m assuming was metal catching on metal.

Was quite the experience!

C51919DA-026E-4C77-B3D5-A8DE80964D04.jpeg

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It's down so they can finally give you all THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS OVERLAY with added on ride photo opp pics taken in : The Stretching Room, In the Ballroom Scene, In the graveyard/hallowentown in snow scene. Enjoy it Florida!!

Rich Brownn

We got evacuated from Pirates a few trips back and our boat was stuck right near the top of the drop.

They ended up pulling a rope over and latching the front of the boat, unloading the middle of the boat, then the front, and finally those of us in the back 2 rows.

As the boat approached the drop, a grinding noise came from under the boat which I’m assuming was metal catching on metal.

View attachment 454624
Was the water pumps turned off? If it was it was probably the weir dam. It tries to pop up if they are, but if it hits a boat it goes back down for a bit and tries again. (Prevents the upper building water from all pouring downstairs)

Creathir

Was the water pumps turned off? If it was it was probably the weir dam. It tries to pop up if they are, but if it hits a boat it goes back down for a bit and tries again. (Prevents the upper building water from all pouring downstairs)
Hmmm.
I know the water falls was running for a while, I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the ride to know where the weir dam is.

If it was right where our boat was, that makes sense that the falls was "running" as that would mean the upstairs water was just draining below. It certainly was quite the experience, though we were "stuck" for about 15-20 minutes, 5-10 was in the dark.

Kamikaze

View attachment 454624

Had the exact same thing happen. Except when they got there for the evac, the RCFD member stood up and put his helmet right through the rockwork.

John park hopper

It's closed because the ghosts are demanding more money and more time off-- they are tired of being locked up in that dark mansion for over 45 years they want a Florida tan.

lilypgirl

We had to be evacuated from Splash Mountain on our last trip. We got stuck at the top before the drop. We probably sat there for 30/45 minutes before we were told anything . It really wasn't a big deal but the cast members were rude about the entire thing. We were all making jokes about being stuck and of course video taping the way out and they weren't having any of it. We lost a total of an hour and half of our day so a pleasant attitude would have been appreciated.

Rich Brownn

Hmmm.
I know the water falls was running for a while, I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the ride to know where the weir dam is.

If it was right where our boat was, that makes sense that the falls was "running" as that would mean the upstairs water was just draining below. It certainly was quite the experience, though we were "stuck" for about 15-20 minutes, 5-10 was in the dark.
Sounds like it was the dam. We had an extended breakdown one time, and all the water flowed out of the building (the dam is right below where the boat e-stops). <the whole event was insane.. its a story I was tell of The Night The Lights Went Out In Pirates>

Pepper's Ghost

I know conversations tend to veer off topic occasionally, but how did the HM conversation turn to a discussion about PotC? 🤪 Sounds to me like a need for a new topic to be started. The HM ride track has nothing to do with the PotC dam, or whatever. At least, I don't think the two ride systems are connected. I could be wrong. Maybe there's a second track out of the mansion attic that splashes into the battle scene on PotC? Not sure since my doom buggy has never gone on to that second track.

Pepper's Ghost

In short.. non-standard component failure (central shops to the rescue).. Each DB had to be inspected and mediated individually (time) for safety. Unusual failure adjacent to an inspection point.

Meanwhile, no damage to the ride system itself of significance..

Wait... sorry, just want to make sure I understand. So several doom buggies sustained damage at the exact same time, but the track itself wasn't damaged and didn't cause the damage? Am I understanding correctly? Is this confirmed somehow?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
In short.. non-standard component failure (central shops to the rescue).. Each DB had to be inspected and mediated individually (time) for safety. Unusual failure adjacent to an inspection point.

Wait... sorry, just want to make sure I understand. So several doom buggies sustained damage at the exact same time, but the track itself wasn't damaged and didn't cause the damage? Am I understanding correctly? Is this confirmed somehow?
Just point to the spot where the mean ol' ride got hurt...
1583688734125.png

Rob562

Since the failures seem to have first happened near the downslope out of the attic, perhaps the problem occured at the maintenance shop access point in the attic. (Just inside the attic on your left is a roll-up door, but most people's attention is directed to the scenery to the right of the track)
Is there a section of the track there that can move sideways to provide access? I could see something like that becoming dislodged and causing issues. (In which case, if there weren't already safety interlock switches at such points to ensure the track is properly in alignment, I'll bet there are now...)

-Rob

Josh Hendy

Perhaps the downslope is where the force on certain components is greatest, hence the relatively frequent failures in that area.

My understanding of the doom buggies is that it's old-school, custom-machined mechanical technology. I wonder if something newer such as electrically-driven technology (like on Test Track) could be used to drive the buggies and provide reliable rotation when required. Obviously this would require a massive redesign and rebuild.

Or, a rebuild with Mystic Manor technology but with the best-loved effects of Haunted Mansion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Perhaps the downslope is where the force on certain components is greatest, hence the relatively frequent failures in that area.

My understanding of the doom buggies is that it's old-school, custom-machined mechanical technology. I wonder if something newer such as electrically-driven technology (like on Test Track) could be used to drive the buggies and provide reliable rotation when required. Obviously this would require a massive redesign and rebuild.

Or, a rebuild with Mystic Manor technology but with the best-loved effects of Haunted Mansion.
Under the Sea is an omnimover with electrically driven vehicle control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom