Haunted Mansion stretching room has lost it's effect.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I posted this on my trip report but wanted to put this individually in here to see if anyone else noticed the same thing.

In the Haunted Mansion stretching rooms the "frames" on the "paintings" have dents in them which ruin the effect. Also the wallpaper has alot of age showing on it and is ruined in some areas also ruining the effect. I love this attraction and have noticed it before but, when I first started on this attractions years ago I was seriously puzzled by this effect. NOw I took two first timers with me on this trip and they noticed it right away.

I think it's time for a rehab on the stretching rooms. Anyone else notice this?

General Grizz

You may have been in the other stretching room.

Disney planned to update the Haunted Mansion this winter after the HMH; however, this fell through.

I'd like to see Haunted Mansion to go down for quality rehab after IASW. . . and then CoP (if not during).

But, does Disney REALLY want to spend this much-needed use for money? . . .

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by General Grizz
You may have been in the other stretching room.

Disney planned to update the Haunted Mansion this winter after the HMH; however, this fell through.

I'd like to see Haunted Mansion to go down for quality rehab after IASW. . . and then CoP (if not during).

But, does Disney REALLY want to spend this much-needed use for money? . . .

I really hope HMH happens next year. I'm telling you I feel that HM is doing alright right now, it looks tidy, in a spooky sort of way..Yeah it could use a rehab though in a little while, but not right now.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
HM and the stretching rooms JUST went thru a Lengthy rehab, EXACTLY a year ago...(March 03)

I know... because It opened on the day before I left... and I went to the MK that day... just to ride the HM.

Its needs another rehab... already? :confused:

andre85

Haunted Mansion looks fine to me, then again, I’m not anally-retentive. As for the stretching room “losing” its effect; it looks the same it always has; I never thought the effect appeaed as if the room was "stretching", but merely growing taller. It’s blatantly obvious the ceiling is just rising.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster

Originally posted by DMC-12
HM and the stretching rooms JUST went thru a Lengthy rehab, EXACTLY a year ago...(March 03)

I know... because It opened on the day before I left... and I went to the MK that day... just to ride the HM.

Its needs another rehab... already? :confused:

I dont doubt anything you say. HOwever, I was there one year ago to the day and they were only doing exterior refurbishments. I went two months later and they were still working on it, however, only exterior still. I went a couple times during the refub and only saw exterior work being done.

About the stretching rooms..................next time you go............IN BOTH ROOMS............look at the paintings, the frames on them are dented up and it becomes obvious the walls are moving and you are not. Also look at the wallpaper for the flaws.

Now I am a person who notices all the details, it's just me, but, if the whole point of the room was to create an illusion, wouldnt it be important to make sure there is one? Like I said, it's not fooling anyone anymore, even the newbies.

I love the ride but I think this one is obvious.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by General Grizz
This rehab was intended to be VERY massive, as in many areas replaced/reconstructed and updated.

What I meant to say is... the stretching rooms were rehab-ed from the bottom up... literally... they switched from the old hydraulic systems to electric motors. I Think... maybe that was the fall 02 rehab.... I forgot :lol:

And the stretching rooms are in this bad of shape already, in a years time?

The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland is so much more impressive right now than HM in WDW. DL having the Haunted Mansion Holiday every year keeps it in tip top shape. It gets rehabed yearly because they go in and change everything. I took a vacation to DL and then right off to WDW. Back to back! I have a season pass to DL and seen HM and HMH, and I must say HM was in excelent shape! The sound effects were crisp and clean, the floating candleabra (sp?) actually moves and is visable. When I saw it in WDW in December, the sound effects weren't very impressive, the effects didn't have any 'kick', it just wasn't very good in comparision. So, hopefully HMH makes it to Florida because it really needs it!

Bill

Account Suspended
I want a rehab with Vincent Price's laugh added to the ride and a Phantom Animatronic in the graveyard. :)

Phantom Manor has such a wonderful story line. Though I love Paul Frees, don't get me wrong, but I think they could add in Vincent as well. :)

BwanaBob

Why don't they just work on one room at a time?
Simple fixes.

Sure the wait times will go up...

...but isn't that why we have fastpasses?

(Uh, Oh!...I may have inadvertently started another nightmarish thread drift!)

Timekeeper

Are these room *really* deteriorating...?

I was just at the MK and noticed the same "aging" in the HM stretching room(s). Not only does the ceiling rise up, but so does a section of the wall (with the gargoyles holding the candles). When you exit the room, there is much more brown wall than there was when you entered, and the gargoyles are higher up. The illusion is great. Unfortunately, there are some things that could be fixed, like the sections of striped wallpaper attached between the top of each framed picture and the ceiling. They are supposed to "blend in" and go unnoticed, but now they cast shadows and can easily be seen.

I think modern technology could create some sturdy replacements that not only look better but also perform better.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some "modern illusions" to the attraction either. For example, the "vanishing butterfly in cage" illusion from the new Journey Into Your Imagination ride is pretty neat.

Timekeeper

he-guy

I don't see how dents or shadows on wallpaper ruin the effect. If you want to believe the walls are going you will, if you want to think you are going down, you will, its based on your perception. Looked fine by be and the 1st timers with me last week. Wanna see a lost effect? Walk to the exit of The Living Seas, wait for someone to come out and go in that way. Now that is losing its effect when you realize sea base alpha is 10 feet away.

For interesting ideas on HM rehabs, I recommend the book Down and out in the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I noticed the stretch rooms looked poor in June 2001! Did DLP in 2002 and the effect was MUCH better... again!

If you enter The Living Seas via the exit you are just asking for a spoiler!

hoppypooh

Wow! I can't believe your attention to detail!

As a recent first timer at WDW I did not notice anything at HM that obviously needed a rehab. The stretching room was a great effect - very suspenseful - and really freaked me out!

Sorry to drift a bit... but I didn't know that HM had a storyline...
could someone please explain?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom