Haunted Mansion stretching room has lost it's effect.

Toy Trumpet

I agree totally!

I've noticed for years, even before the last rehab for the stretching "equipment", that the frames and wallpaper are in bad shape. It does, indeed, lessen the effect of the room. Someone posted that if you want to believe, you will. though I agree a willing suspension of disbelief is great, the whole idea of Disney is that they do things so convincingly, there is no need to even think about it! If they'd just spend the money to fix these easy issues, the rooms would, indeed, be as great as they were intended to be!

MerHearted

What's the deal with that room anyway? I did the Haunted Mansion for the first time last summer and I'm not sure I got what it was supposed to be. :confused:

SpongeScott

Originally posted by hoppypooh
Wow! I can't believe your attention to detail!

As a recent first timer at WDW I did not notice anything at HM that obviously needed a rehab. The stretching room was a great effect - very suspenseful - and really freaked me out!
See, now they get it! A first-timer went and enjoyed it for what it was, not for what they could rip it for. Me thinks that many of us have been so many times that we now view it all with a critical eye instead of viewing it with the joy and innocence of a WDW virgin.

Since1976

From what I understand, the paintings in the stretching room used to be touched up and/or replaced every once in a while to fend off wear and tear.

I guess that no longer happens.

Darn you, Eisner!!!

cloudboy

I was there in October and I didn't notice any dents, but I could have been in the other room. I did notice that the walls looked a little slace and you could tell it was fabric, but I don' think it was too obvious to someone not looking for it.

PhotoDave219

Actually, i find the lack of a proper speil by the CP'er who is loading the attraction more distracting than the condition of the room. In years past, thedrag your bodies into they'd have someone yelling to "DEAD" center of the room, with a heavy emphasis on dead. While the lines have stayed the same, they arent delivered with the same enthusiasm that is meant to scare the crap out of everyone....

HMGhost13

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
Why do they ask you to stand dead center in the room? Is it for safety reasons?

its a joke. haunted mansion= DEAD center..haha...

HM is a great ride. probably the one with the most fan sites on the web (go ahead take a look, search yahoo). a major rehab shouldn't do much to it if you want to keep the old fans happy and with that pile of dung they call a mvoie, they definately need to keep the fans of the ride happy.

as for a plot for HM. there isn't one. Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris has one, infact i think the original idea for HM. or one of them at least

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by HMGhost13
as for a plot for HM. there isn't one. Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris has one, infact i think the original idea for HM. or one of them at least

That's... not completely accurate. Disney tour guides themeselves tell a story of the young Master Gracey and his fatal demise. Though there are a few different versions, they all have the same general plot... The one I've heard goes a lil something like this...

Master Gracey was a young, rich, attractive man who had everything he'd ever wanted, including a bride to be. On or around the day of the wedding, something happened between Gracey and his bride, and she ended up locked inside a trunk in the attic. She pounded in a futile attempt to be saved, but no one could hear her, and she perished.

When Gracey discovered her body, he was devistated and outraged at his petty rage that led to his bride's death. Gracey mourned for the following days, and could not find any redeeming quality of his life after her death, and thus committed suicide by hanging himself.

Ever wonder why while in the stretching room, the ghost host ends the narrative by saying, "There's always MY way..."? If you look up, you'll see a body hanging, in the attic. This is supposed to be Gracey's corpse, and Gracey himself is the one telling narrating the ride, as the ghost host.

HMGhost13

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
Master Gracey was a young, rich, attractive man who had everything he'd ever wanted, including a bride to be. On or around the day of the wedding, something happened between Gracey and his bride, and she ended up locked inside a trunk in the attic. She pounded in a futile attempt to be saved, but no one could hear her, and she perished.

When Gracey discovered her body, he was devistated and outraged at his petty rage that led to his bride's death. Gracey mourned for the following days, and could not find any redeeming quality of his life after her death, and thus committed suicide by hanging himself.

Ever wonder why while in the stretching room, the ghost host ends the narrative by saying, "There's always MY way..."? If you look up, you'll see a body hanging, in the attic. This is supposed to be Gracey's corpse, and Gracey himself is the one telling narrating the ride, as the ghost host.

hate to break it to you but you are, in all factuality, wrong.

*sigh* i am one of those "wanna be experts" on the Disney Haunted Mansion. this is one of the MANY MANY MANY stories told by Cast Mermbers. there are so many different versions of who Master Gracey is and who isn't. in reality it is NEVER told if that is Master Gracey or not in the stretching room. it is, however, PRESUMED to be.

there is also the story of: (A) the bride jumped out of the attic and killed herself (B) Gracey was a pirate and she killed herself (C) she killed herself, Gracey tossed his wedding ring out the window and then hung himself.

there are so many different versions it's not even funny.

so no. Haunted Mansion has no real plot. there originally was suppose to be one (a tie in to PoTC actually) but in the end it became no true plot. any story is all speculation and people's imagination's at work.

the ONLY "Mansion" to have a plot is Phantom Manor.

btw, Gracey is a reference to one fo the Imagineers who helped build the ride, Yale Gracey. the movie did however give way tot he presumption that the hung man is Master Gracey, but then again that film was wasted celluoid, money and time.

I've only been to WDW three times, but I could swear that the first time I went on HM the "doom buggy" felt like you were twisting side to side as you ascended to the ballroom scene. It felt as if you were really climbing the stairs. Was this intended or is this my overactive imagination? I didn't notice the same effect on my subsequent visits. :lookaroun

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster

Originally posted by Snow White 610
I've only been to WDW three times, but I could swear that the first time I went on HM the "doom buggy" felt like you were twisting side to side as you ascended to the ballroom scene. It felt as if you were really climbing the stairs. Was this intended or is this my overactive imagination? I didn't notice the same effect on my subsequent visits. :lookaroun

I know exactly what you are talking about and "no" I dont think it's meant to make you feel as if you are climbing stairs. In fact, each of the vehicles sway slightly as they are on a track underneath. When you get in the doombuggy you may notice it do the same thing. I think it just does that as it climbs on the track.

Jiko

Originally posted by HMGhost13
Haunted Mansion has no real plot. there originally was suppose to be one (a tie in to PoTC actually) but in the end it became no true plot

That is fascinating! I love connections like this, it makes for a more transient theme park experience.

Okay, so maybe the red-head of ill-repute from POTC was a social climber of sorts. After she escaped the ransacked village, she set her sights elsewhere. In her failed attempts to wed Master Gracey (with her background?), the "red head" reluctantly became his "spiritual advisor": Madame Leota. She wasn't a true red-head (hey, it went with her career at the time), and after killing off both Gracey's bride-to-be and Gracey himself, Leota was doomed to remain on this earth as a disembodied head locked in a crystal ball for all eternity. Dead men tell no tales, but Leota is forever!

Yes, I have issues, but at least it gives me a nice backstory. In the case of the Magic Kingdom in Florida, I suppose Leota would have had to relocate from the Caribbean to New England, but anything's possible when you're a golddigger.

HMGhost13

Originally posted by Jiko
That is fascinating! I love connections like this, it makes for a more transient theme park experience.

Okay, so maybe the red-head of ill-repute from POTC was a social climber of sorts. After she escaped the ransacked village, she set her sights elsewhere. In her failed attempts to wed Master Gracey (with her background?), the "red head" reluctantly became his "spiritual advisor": Madame Leota. She wasn't a true red-head (hey, it went with her career at the time), and after killing off both Gracey's bride-to-be and Gracey himself, Leota was doomed to remain on this earth as a disembodied head locked in a crystal ball for all eternity. Dead men tell no tales, but Leota is forever!

Yes, I have issues, but at least it gives me a nice backstory. In the case of the Magic Kingdom in Florida, I suppose Leota would have had to relocate from the Caribbean to New England, but anything's possible when you're a golddigger.

well actually what i had meant was some sort of connection with "pirates"

to the point on how Pirates from the Carribean affected the mansion in some way shape or form.

though the idea was dropped.

in fact the very first original idea was to have our Mansion a run down house off of main street that was haunted.

Jiko

Wow, I love the Main Street idea. A true victorian melodrama in the making.

By the way, I know what you meant before, I just decided to run with any inclination... call it Friday afternoon boredom at the office.

:hammer:

bartman454

Hmm well I am a seasonal cm, wnet on the HM back in January and while i think its relatively minor the stretching room does have a bit more scratches then it should. Of course the current managements mentality toward their being cracks and what not in HM is that its a haunted mansion and is supposed to look deteriorated. The best thing right now for HM would be a nice six month rehab, interior work mainly, get some new spirits in the house and do something to make the giant spiders a bit scarier. Also some new work on the madame leota scene (just the instruments, not Leota herself.) That and some new ghosts in the graveyard.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
true

Originally posted by bartman454
Hmm well I am a seasonal cm, wnet on the HM back in January and while i think its relatively minor the stretching room does have a bit more scratches then it should. Of course the current managements mentality toward their being cracks and what not in HM is that its a haunted mansion and is supposed to look deteriorated. The best thing right now for HM would be a nice six month rehab, interior work mainly, get some new spirits in the house and do something to make the giant spiders a bit scarier. Also some new work on the madame leota scene (just the instruments, not Leota herself.) That and some new ghosts in the graveyard.

Yes I also am glad you mentioned the spiders and the instruments. I am not saying I dislike them but something more high-tech would be nice with the spiders, maybe a web coming out towards the doombuggies with mechanical spiders crawling down towards you, and the instruments do need upgrading. YOu can see the strings they swing around on. Once again, not saying I hate it but it could be upgraded, not replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom