Haunted Mansion stretching room has lost it's effect.

AKQJ10

I actually hope that they make absolutely NO changes to the Haunted Mansion, save for any repairs, etc.

Part of its charm is its nostalgic value. Making it yet another high-tech attraction will take away from that feel. The simple special effects, combined with its ability to captivate new audiences trough the years make it one of those attractions that should never be touched. (i.e. Peter Pan's Flight, IASW, MR. Toad... ooops.) :rolleyes:

HMGhost13

Originally posted by AKQJ10
I actually hope that they make absolutely NO changes to the Haunted Mansion, save for any repairs, etc.

Part of its charm is its nostalgic value. Making it yet another high-tech attraction will take away from that feel. The simple special effects, combined with its ability to captivate new audiences trough the years make it one of those attractions that should never be touched. (i.e. Peter Pan's Flight, IASW, MR. Toad... ooops.) :rolleyes:

and what's interesting is the fact that younger audiences are STILL frightened by this "low tech" ride.

take that Mission Space, Dinosaur, RNTC, ToT, AE, etc.

johnvree

Originally posted by HMGhost13
hate to break it to you but you are, in all factuality, wrong.

*sigh* i am one of those "wanna be experts" on the Disney Haunted Mansion. this is one of the MANY MANY MANY stories told by Cast Mermbers. there are so many different versions of who Master Gracey is and who isn't. in reality it is NEVER told if that is Master Gracey or not in the stretching room. it is, however, PRESUMED to be.

there is also the story of: (A) the bride jumped out of the attic and killed herself (B) Gracey was a pirate and she killed herself (C) she killed herself, Gracey tossed his wedding ring out the window and then hung himself.

there are so many different versions it's not even funny.

so no. Haunted Mansion has no real plot. there originally was suppose to be one (a tie in to PoTC actually) but in the end it became no true plot. any story is all speculation and people's imagination's at work.

the ONLY "Mansion" to have a plot is Phantom Manor.

btw, Gracey is a reference to one fo the Imagineers who helped build the ride, Yale Gracey. the movie did however give way tot he presumption that the hung man is Master Gracey, but then again that film was wasted celluoid, money and time.
Plot or no plot, am I the only person bothered by the fact that there is a suicide in a Disney attraction? Don't get me wrong, my kids have been watching Jurassic Park since they were 3 (which probably makes me a bad parent). So I am not overly protectivve. But the suicide thing is always harder to explain than a dinosaur eating a park visitor. I love the ride; it's one of my favorites. But suicide? Am I missing something?

1disneydood

Originally posted by johnvree
Plot or no plot, am I the only person bothered by the fact that there is a suicide in a Disney attraction? Don't get me wrong, my kids have been watching Jurassic Park since they were 3 (which probably makes me a bad parent). So I am not overly protectivve. But the suicide thing is always harder to explain than a dinosaur eating a park visitor. I love the ride; it's one of my favorites. But suicide? Am I missing something?
Sine there is no real plot or story, who knows if he infact hung himself or was lynched for being a pirate.:)

johnvree

Originally posted by 1disneydood
Sine there is no real plot or story, who knows if he infact hung himself or was lynched for being a pirate.:)

Good point. I'm not sure why murder seems better than suicide, but in a wierd way, it does :dazzle:

disneyman23

it is a good point though, the fact that there is an apparant suicide in a disney attraction is slightly disturbing, but i think it happens so fast that it gets overlooked and after all these years no one has made a stink about it so its obviously not really a big deal to anyone

General Grizz

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
Actually, i find the lack of a proper speil by the CP'er who is loading the attraction more distracting than the condition of the room. In years past, thedrag your bodies into they'd have someone yelling to "DEAD" center of the room, with a heavy emphasis on dead. While the lines have stayed the same, they arent delivered with the same enthusiasm that is meant to scare the crap out of everyone....

Agreed. Same with other attractions. *sigh*

disneyman23

yeah especially on a ride like HM the CM really plays a crucial part in the first stage of the ride, delivering those first lines with creepy emphasis really helps the mood. seems like these days some of that has been lost and the CM are just going through the motions---def not all though, some still do a great job !

AKQJ10

The HM actaully does have a storyline behind it (which is too long for me to post here), but i explains little details from the hanging Host, to the bride, to Leota, the fisherman, trunk, ghosts inside the attraction, etc. I'll try and post the entire story on my site this week.

As I'm sure everyone knows, every attraction at WDW has a back story behind it, and the HM is not only no exception, but is one of the best!

disneyman23

excellent thanks AKQJ10.

btw has the grave outside the entrance with the moving face, and moving eyes, i think its leota---has that always been there?? at least with the movements on the face??? cause i was there in jan. and it was the first time i ever noticed it after having been on the ride hundreds of times. so either im just not very perceptive , or its new

AKQJ10

Leota's headstone is actually a relatively recent addition, and is the only stone to be animated.

Ever notice the pet cemetary at the exit (many people walk right by and never see it!)

HMGhost13

The HM actaully does have a storyline behind it (which is too long for me to post here), but i explains little details from the hanging Host, to the bride, to Leota, the fisherman, trunk, ghosts inside the attraction, etc. I'll try and post the entire story on my site this week.

As I'm sure everyone knows, every attraction at WDW has a back story behind it, and the HM is not only no exception, but is one of the best!

the only storyline HM has is that it's a mansion populated by 999 ghosts. any other storyline was either thrown out by Imagineers or made up by CM's.

i'm sorry but HM has no SOLID "storyline". believe it or not the ONLY connection between anything is made up by CM's or presumed. the ride tells us nothing.

how can we be positively sure that the body hanging in the stretchuing room is Gracey's? you can't. The GH NEVER says that. it is just assumed that it is Gracey.

it's also assumed that Gracey was a doctor or a lawyer. or that he was a pirate. or a fisherman. it's assumed that leota was his Mistress. there is nothing but assumptions and stories by CM's for the basis of your "Storyline". CM's not Imagineers.

DDuckFan130

Ever notice the pet cemetary at the exit (many people walk right by and never see it!)

I could never find it but I may be blind :hammer: Can you tell me where it is? All I remember seeing everytime we exit HM is the tombstone of Bluebeard's wives or something like that (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is the pet cemetary by there? Oh yeah and are there little rhymes on the tombstones like in the human cemetary at the entrance?

HMGhost13

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
I could never find it but I may be blind :hammer: Can you tell me where it is? All I remember seeing everytime we exit HM is the tombstone of Bluebeard's wives or something like that (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is the pet cemetary by there? Oh yeah and are there little rhymes on the tombstones like in the human cemetary at the entrance?

it was first at DL's HM hidden in the back, WDW's was added a few years back it's right before you walk out the gates.

optjay

In the Haunted Mansion stretching rooms the "frames" on the "paintings" have dents in them which ruin the effect. Also the wallpaper has alot of age showing on it and is ruined in some areas also ruining the effect. I love this attraction and have noticed it before but, when I first started on this attractions years ago I was seriously puzzled by this effect. NOw I took two first timers with me on this trip and they noticed it right away.

the stretching room is only an effect?
huh, thanks for the spoiler!

PeterAlt

Okay, I'm right!

Uggghhhh I hate to be the one who tells the world that it is me who is right, but guess what, everyone, I'm right. Yes, that's right... I'm RIGHT!

The Magic Kingdom is in serious need for a massive rehab of its claasic attractions... this includes Its a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Caroussel of Progress, SPACE MOUNTAIN, etc., Etc., Etc.

All these years of neglect is only making such rehabs more and more urgent! What's with the delay?!?!?!

Good, so It's a Small World is scheduled for such a rehab this year, but what about Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, PotC?

All I have to say is Disney better not get cheap and pour a decent amount of money into doing these attractions justice and then.... KEEP THEM UP-TO-DATE by fixing up small things as they need them so that another massive overhaul wouldn't be needed again in the future!!!!!

I will get off the soap box now and return you to the regularly scheduled program....

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Re: Okay, I'm right!

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Uggghhhh I hate to be the one who tells the world that it is me who is right, but guess what, everyone, I'm right. Yes, that's right... I'm RIGHT!

The Magic Kingdom is in serious need for a massive rehab of its claasic attractions... this includes Its a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Caroussel of Progress, SPACE MOUNTAIN, etc., Etc., Etc.

All these years of neglect is only making such rehabs more and more urgent! What's with the delay?!?!?!

Good, so It's a Small World is scheduled for such a rehab this year, but what about Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, PotC?

All I have to say is Disney better not get cheap and pour a decent amount of money into doing these attractions justice and then.... KEEP THEM UP-TO-DATE by fixing up small things as they need them so that another massive overhaul wouldn't be needed again in the future!!!!!

I will get off the soap box now and return you to the regularly scheduled program....

Ok, so some of us faithful really do look closely at detail. I know it may sound trivial, but we're not slamming Disney. We're just simply saying that it looks fine now but, what about 5 years? You do know that in anything, if you let it go too long it becomes too late. Disney attractions all have reuptations along with Disney.

I'm not looking too hard at the frames in the stretching rooms but rather noticing them obviously. Trust me, I wasnt the only one who noticed it. New people do not notice it most times simply because they dont know whether it's supposed to be there or not.

Disney is built for new people along with people who go all the time. Dont mistake that. Disney was built for us as well and should be maintained as such.

From what I heard, Pirates is being scheduled for a refurb on the cave, which will not close the attraction down and will be done mostly at night (sounds like painting to me)

Disney hates shutting down it's classics which is exactly why many are in desperate need of refubs.

I agree with this post above. It's not slamming, but just reality. Some of the attractions need rehabs, and they dont get them because Disney hates to shut them down , which is understandable.

ILOVEDISNEY

The CM's during my last 4 trips to the MK and HM have been more interested in showing one another their new cellphones, or heading to the break room breaking character. I have not experienced any scary moments from the CM's during my past 10 rides. Where are the supervisors? Are they a bunch of kids themselves?

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
CM's

Originally posted by ILOVEDISNEY
The CM's during my last 4 trips to the MK and HM have been more interested in showing one another their new cellphones, or heading to the break room breaking character. I have not experienced any scary moments from the CM's during my past 10 rides. Where are the supervisors? Are they a bunch of kids themselves?

yes, well on the night that I took the people for their first time, the door for the CM's at the exit was left open for all to see. Its just bad show.

the CM's when we were there were two girls and man, you could tell they really had absolutely no desire to be working, unless they could just chat.

Also, I left very late one night. It happened to be very cold out and everyone left before 11:30. When I was leaving, and was at the transportation center, CM's were running around screaming acting completely foolish. Granted not many people were around but the one's that were were looking at them like they were idiots.

Evidently someone reported it because a few minutes later their supervisor showed up and gave some pretty harsh looks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom