Haunted Mansion Closing for Refurb Late Fall 2006?

OmegaKnight

I am all for a HM gift shop (there has a been a lack of HM merchandise in the parks for a long time) but I would rather Disney do a general rehab on my favorite Disney ride. The audio especially needs some TLC. Plus there are some other effects (when was the last time the candlebra in the endless hallway was visible) that need some work as well. I would rather that get priority than a new gift shop. That is just my 2 cents.

dxwwf3

I really don't care what they do as long as they update the heck out of this attraction. It is needed so badly. DL's version seems to be a much better attraction right now.

terp79

I'm glad I'm not the only one that heard of WDI's rumored giftshop. I guess as you exit the HM, the attraction is going to be themed as if you exit a wine cellar, and inside the wine cellar you find a busted wall as if someone was burried alive and the secret has been found out...anyway then you'll be able to enter this secret crypt/cellar to purchase your on ride photo of you and the hitchhiking ghost in your doombuggy as well as buy all sorts of HM and NBC merchandise then exit the ride. I hear that the crpyt from the movie will be added to this area as well. Like I said I don't trust all rumors but it does sound interesting.

brertigger

terp79 said:
... purchase your on ride photo of you and the hitchhiking ghost in your doombuggy ...
I hope they don't add the on ride photo. That just seems pointless to me.
I think the onride photos are good at the thrill rides (like Splash and EE), but HM does not need it.

dxwwf3

I wouldn't be against a gift shop to be honest. I think it would work best if it is done in a similar style to POTC's. What I mean by that is like the gift shop doesn't feel like it is part of the attraction and is just something found after you already exit the attraction. But I also think that the onride photo would be a little overkill.

Epcot82Guy

dxwwf3 said:
I wouldn't be against a gift shop to be honest. I think it would work best if it is done in a similar style to POTC's. What I mean by that is like the gift shop doesn't feel like it is part of the attraction and is just something found after you already exit the attraction. But I also think that the onride photo would be a little overkill.

I agree entirely.

T-1MILLION

dreamflightjake said:
I thought the original bride with no face, the glowing eyes, and the beating heart was really creepy. I liked that one best. The newer one is ok but I'm always open to a change. I'd be really interested to see DL's type of bride added into WDW's HM.

You hit it ""dead"" on! :sohappy: Scariest thing in the mansion at that time along with the old pop up ghosts!

:wave:

-Preston

JCrane

Yeah, can anyone elaborate on when this work will take place?

I'm over for two weeks from the end of October to early November and would hate, hate, hate to miss HM!!

Buried20KLeague

iheartdisney91 said:
i like the wdw's bride its the original they better not change it to a stupid projection.

That right there shows what little you know about the effect.

I would take the opposing stance... That they better not leave it as a "stupid mannequin".

Buried20KLeague

SilentWindODoom said:
No matter, the bride we have now is a dark and forlorn figure (albeit less so with the blue makeup) and is creepy, eerie, while remaining mysterious. What once was considered by many to be a tragic and sympathetic figure is now a crazed axe murderer. Also, she looks too real. The thing about Haunted Mansion, as well as Pirates of the Caribbean, is that they are realistic enough to be human, but cartoony enough to be Disney. This new bride doesn't fit in with this. I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me.quote]

I can kinda see your point here. But the problem I still have is this:

Why is the bride currently in the attic at WDW????

There's currently no reason for it. So here we have an attic, with some pop up heads on sticks, along with annoying screams... A total carnival effect. I can't comprehend why any Disney fan wouldn't trade in this attic for what Disneyland has: Disney quality effects that create a cohesive story line. Don't forget, not only did they update their bride, but they added potraits of her with husbands... Who's heads disappear as you pass them!! :eek:

How would that not be far superior than the pop-up heads and bride (that currently serves no purpose) that WDW has?

I get the whole "disney purist" thing, too. But geez. There's gotta be a limit.

Not talking about you, SilentWindODoom... :wave: Just tossing that in to this post.

Since1976

I wouldn't mind a refurb of the bride like in CA. I just experienced that attraction a couple of weeks ago, and I found the effect of that entire attic area unsettling -- in a good way.

I haven't ridden WDW's HM since 2002 (it was closed for the previously mentioned refurb in 2005), but does anyone else agree with me that DL's version is superior?

sum41914

I took CM tour of the Haunted Mansion yesturday morning and the tour guide said that they are taking the Fast Passes out and placing the invisable horse and buggy there due to the damage it recevied from the last hurricane season. Just a little tid bit.

~Sum

T-1MILLION

Here is my view. I think the enchancements are really cool but adding the bride to me is too iffy. Only because it changes the mood of the Haunted Mansion. No matter who tells you, The haunted mansion never had a storyline/plot. The story behind the attraction was just that it was a "retirement home for ghosts" and guests were taking a tour of it. The bride with a story adds too much drama and changes the effect of a very morbid but lighthearted look and feel that the mansion is supposed to give "Grim Grinning Ghosts" Morbid, cute, and some bad puns and cute humor thrown in. That is what it is all about. Not a axe slasher story that the whole ride has to focus on because of only one character. It is a retirement home with the GH as the spokesperson explaining the history and purpose of the mansion.

Just my two cents.

I just wish they would fix the sound from skipping, fix the dents in the portrait frames and other basic upkeep of things before adding anything.

:wave:

CaptainMichael

How is a 30 second scene of a much longer attraction take the focus of the whole attraction? How is it any different than the seance scene? Also, if there is no story to HM, why is there a corpse hanging in the stretching room?

Just curious.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
Buried20KLeague said:
SilentWindODoom said:
There's currently no reason for it. So here we have an attic, with some pop up heads on sticks, along with annoying screams... A total carnival effect. I can't comprehend why any Disney fan wouldn't trade in this attic for what Disneyland has: Disney quality effects that create a cohesive story line. Don't forget, not only did they update their bride, but they added potraits of her with husbands... Who's heads disappear as you pass them!! :eek:
How would that not be far superior than the pop-up heads and bride (that currently serves no purpose) that WDW has?
I get the whole "disney purist" thing, too. But geez. There's gotta be a limit.

I agree its because of these moronic purists who want everything to stay as a muesuem that give people like me a bad name. Now when I say the original Imagination was a superior attraction to whats currently there or that Alien Encounter was better than Stitch people quickly try to pin the "purist" tag on me. I want Disney to continue to improve and change..but I want the changes and upgrades to be BETTER than what its replacing. In the case of what they are doing with the Mansion in california these changes make the ride better(although the brides cross-eyed face looks stupid) and I hope even more changes are on the way to both the DL and WDW version of this stale old now unscary attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom