Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

Mat Cauthon

Are Leota, the singing busts, and the doll at the end of the ride too real? It’s always been a dichotomous ride due to its development. Crazy-variable weather and the inability to decide between a creepy-sinister and silly-cartoony tone are just part of the experience all these decades later. It’s a real hodgepodge but its numerous imperfections make it WDI perfection now. And I don’t mind the updates, I just wish they’d revert back on the ones that don’t work. It really speaks to the effectiveness of old-fashioned practical effects.
Yep. Kind of like comparing the original SW trilogy and Rogue One vs all other SW movies made. I love the new effects on things like FoP but hard to beat the practical effects on rides that have sets.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh yeah! They're a home haunter's (Halloween decorator) best friend for making low-tech animatronics. I wouldn't be surprised if they use that, TBH. You'd be surprised at what kind of limited motion animated figures one can create with nothing more than an oscillating fan motor or a wiper motor. Avatar Shaman AA = Shaitsu massager. ;)
The best effect in the HM is a monster mask on a stick that pops up from behind a tombstone. That's E- Ticket right there!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The best effect in the HM is a monster mask on a stick that pops up from behind a tombstone. That's E- Ticket right there!

I miss the graveyard blast-ups!

Mansion slid into spoopy territory with the "I-do" storyline and has only gotten worse with each update, IMO.
From Leota onward; the mansion suffers from design overkill. I wish they'd adopt a less is more approach to fixing things. And stop with the story integration! Bleh! Whenever possible use practical effects and consider if a change is actually needed and if it's an improvement over what effect was implemented previously. Floating Leota? What did that accomplish? Talking Bride? completely changed the narrative and tone of the attic. And then this... Changing portraits. What a fix! Imagineering managed to turn what looked like 19th century paintings into TV scenes!

Less is more. Mansion Imagineers need to take a page from Marie Kondo and tidy it up.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Isn’t there a term like “animated figure” that is distinguishable from an animatronic? For example, the Soul-Eaters on Small World and most of the fish toys on Ariel’s Undersea Adventure as opposed to Ursula.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I miss the graveyard blast-ups!

Mansion slid into spoopy territory with the "I-do" storyline and has only gotten worse with each update, IMO.
From Leota onward; the mansion suffers from design overkill. I wish they'd adopt a less is more approach to fixing things. And stop with the story integration! Bleh! Whenever possible use practical effects and consider if a change is actually needed and if it's an improvement over what effect was implemented previously. Floating Leota? What did that accomplish? Talking Bride? completely changed the narrative and tone of the attic. And then this... Changing portraits. What a fix! Imagineering managed to turn what looked like 19th century paintings into TV scenes!

Less is more. Mansion Imagineers need to take a page from Marie Kondo and tidy it up.
I can't wait until they add the alien autopsy scene...

GlacierGlacier

Isn’t there a term like “animated figure” that is distinguishable from an animatronic? For example, the Soul-Eaters on Small World and most of the fish toys on Ariel’s Undersea Adventure as opposed to Ursula.
Those are animated figures. Limited motion figures are slightly more advanced, like the Jungle Cruise animals. Then you've got the various levels of audio animatronics that I can't quite remember, alongside auto-animatronics (cars)

MaxW

Breaking Rumor

A little bird told me that they have it on good authority that the new lightning effects on the portraits to install an on-ride photo op.

Just a rumor at this point.
as much as i want to believe that is just bs, after the on-board photos being added to pirates, i wouldn't be surprised.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Breaking Rumor

A little bird told me that they have it on good authority that the new lightning effects on the portraits to install an on-ride photo op.

Just a rumor at this point.

They've been itching to add it for years now. Though I would have thought near the hitchhiking ghosts or any scene that captures the excitement of the passengers. Portraits = photo-op of a blank, expressionless stare.

lazyboy97o

Yes. Animated figures are not programmable to perform different functions. They are mechanically limited to performing the same function.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They've been itching to add it for years now. Though I would have thought near the hitchhiking ghosts or any scene that captures the excitement of the passengers. Portraits = photo-op of a blank, expressionless stare.

addendum: A Mystic Manor-esque Medusa portait where the snakes lunge forward would probably work, especially if paired with the flash from her blinding eyes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom