Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

peter11435

I'm not against refurbishment. This isn't that. It's a redesign of the portrait effect.

Let's take the Bride. The current incarnation is not a refurbishment but is a projection of an actor saying ghoulish variations of her wedding vows. Before, it was an AA with a glowing heart.
It’s a redesign of the effect for a few reasons. One of which being that the previous technology was failing and no longer serviceable.

The bride was never an AA

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Wouldn't a lower-fi solution be to just project the effect onto a blank or if not a blank then projecting the transition on a "limited detail, semi-painted" wide-format print mounted to a frame.

Last edited:

Bocabear

It’s a redesign of the effect for a few reasons. One of which being that the previous technology was failing and no longer serviceable.

she shifter her weight from side to side and lifted and lowered the candle... Which is not really an AA... Just an animatronic...

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
LOL I know...Picky point, but your point was definitely made :) The new Bride is fine but a little bright and jarring...and less moody. I would love to know how it would have been with a true animatronic bride doing the same speil...I bet a million times more effective....

Are you talking 'bout the smurf bride? She wasn't really moody... more like upset or constipated from eating too much wedding cake. I miss the heartbeat bride. Now she was moody! Pure creepsville and no spiel! Low budget at it's best, IMO.

Castle Cake Apologist

It definitely looks better in person than in videos, but I wouldn't give it a pass on show quality just yet.

For one, it's very apparent now that the light source is behind the portrait and not coming from the lightning, which kind of ruins the entire effect to me. That's probably my biggest gripe.

Not to mention the ridiculous drapes, which I'm assuming were put in place to prevent light bleed from the LEDs? The original effect with the portraits hanging outward from ropes was much more effective. Who drapes curtains around small portraits? It just looks really odd.

I hope they get this one right soon, because I didn't think it looked good at all.

I fully understand the complexity of programming show lighting in an attraction, but this seems like it is taking an inordinate amount of time.... even for WDI.

Lol... That's a bit petty... She was at least an A.

Last edited:

solidyne

she shifter her weight from side to side and lifted and lowered the candle... Which is not really an AA... Just an animatronic...
Couldn't the movements have been triggered by audio? I was under the impression that the "audio" of AA had nothing to with actual sounds that the figures makes, but instead with the audio signals that trigger the movement. (Honest question...not my area of expertise!)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
LOL I know...Picky point, but your point was definitely made :) The new Bride is fine but a little bright and jarring...and less moody. I would love to know how it would have been with a true animatronic bride doing the same speil...I bet a million times more effective....
The bride debate has always been interesting to me because I've always thought the projected bride had this unsettling, creepy, ethereal feel. Almost uncanny valley like. That was one update that added to the scene for me. Especially since every(?) other ghost we see up close like that is projected (the busts and leota) making it fit the style of the rest of the ride more.

Never realized the new bride was seen as a negative change by most people till recently.

Magenta Panther

The bride debate has always been interesting to me because I've always thought the projected bride had this unsettling, creepy, ethereal feel. Almost uncanny valley like. That was one update that added to the scene for me. Especially since every(?) other ghost we see up close like that is projected (the busts and leota) making it fit the style of the rest of the ride more.

Never realized the new bride was seen as a negative change by most people till recently.

For my part, it's not that the Bride effect doesn't work - it does, very well. But the Bride doesn't fit into the Mansion's ambience very well because Marc Davis didn't design her, as he did the other ghosts (or so I understand). She looks too "real" compared to the slightly-caricatured ghosts that surround her. If the Bride is ever updated again, I hope the Imagineers will take the trouble to make her look like she fits in with the other haunts. I wouldn't think that'd be too hard. Didn't Marc design a bride character for the Mansion? Or am I misremembering that?

yensidtlaw1969

Couldn't the movements have been triggered by audio? I was under the impression that the "audio" of AA had nothing to with actual sounds that the figures makes, but instead with the audio signals that trigger the movement. (Honest question...not my area of expertise!)
I believe she used to be operated by what was essentially a low rpm wiper motor. Even the Animatronic part of Audio Animatronic is a little too giving - she was a "moving figure".

lazyboy97o

You are correct that the original audio animatronics used audio signals to control their movements. The real distinction between animated figures and animatronics is programmability. You can program an animatronic to do a variety of different functions and movements. An animated figure is on a built-in loop and can only do the same function(s) over and over again.

The Empress Lilly

HM is actually one of the better-maintained rides as it is viewed as one of the Crown Jewels of WDW. I wish they would selectively maintain the classic effects and let the new ones (made by Imagineers who don’t understand the ride) fall into disrepair.
Indeed!

I think the Mansion has received perhaps a bit too much TLC. Endless tinkering and tampering and modern effects. Nearly every rethink has resulted in something slightly worse than what was there before. For example, the current lightning paintings, levitating Miss Leota, rambling projection bride, exterior clutter, etc. Like a cook that just keeps adding herbs and flavours, slowly burying a dish that was pretty much perfect to begin with.

JohnD

Indeed!

I think the Mansion has received perhaps a bit too much TLC. Endless tinkering and tampering and modern effects. Nearly every rethink has resulted in something slightly worse than what was there before. For example, the current lightning paintings, levitating Miss Leota, rambling projection bride, exterior clutter, etc. Like a cook that just keeps adding herbs and flavours, slowly burying a dish that was pretty much perfect to begin with.

Or George Lucas who doesn't know to leave a movie well enough alone. It was good as it was to begin with.

solidyne

You are correct that the original audio animatronics used audio signals to control their movements. The real distinction between animated figures and animatronics is programmability. You can program an animatronic to do a variety of different functions and movements. An animated figure is on a built-in loop and can only do the same function(s) over and over again.
Many thanks! So the distinction being made had nothing to with audio. It was (A)A versus AF. My bad!

ToTBellHop

For my part, it's not that the Bride effect doesn't work - it does, very well. But the Bride doesn't fit into the Mansion's ambience very well because Marc Davis didn't design her, as he did the other ghosts (or so I understand). She looks too "real" compared to the slightly-caricatured ghosts that surround her. If the Bride is ever updated again, I hope the Imagineers will take the trouble to make her look like she fits in with the other haunts. I wouldn't think that'd be too hard. Didn't Marc design a bride character for the Mansion? Or am I misremembering that?
Are Leota, the singing busts, and the doll at the end of the ride too real? It’s always been a dichotomous ride due to its development. Crazy-variable weather and the inability to decide between a creepy-sinister and silly-cartoony tone are just part of the experience all these decades later. It’s a real hodgepodge but its numerous imperfections make it WDI perfection now. And I don’t mind the updates, I just wish they’d revert back on the ones that don’t work. It really speaks to the effectiveness of old-fashioned practical effects.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
LOL, as in windshield wiper?

Oh yeah! They're a home haunter's (Halloween decorator) best friend for making low-tech animatronics. I wouldn't be surprised if they use that, TBH. There's all kinds of limited motion animated figures one can create with nothing more than an oscillating fan motor or a wiper motor. Avatar Shaman AA = Shaitsu massager. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom