Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The original had been barely visible for years now. Subtlety is great, but the effect barely worked and looked like it barely worked.

This. It wasn't in peak show mode to begin with. It was also possible to time it so that you didn't even see the effect if one's doom buggy wasn't in the right place at the right time.

peter11435

True, but the world's number one entertainment company should be able to install a simple effect such as this in one or two third shift nights. If the effect doesn't look good yet, then it should be a top priority to fix it ASAP, not let it run weeks looking shoddy.
I think it’s an exaggeration to say the effect doesn’t look good. Is it perfected? No. But I wouldn’t say it looks bad.

And the overall project here isn’t exactly ‘simple.’

Raineman

I think maybe those of us who have not seen the new effect in person really can't pass judgement based on a video that does not reflect actual light levels, given how dark the "darkness" looks on video, when in person we all know it's not that dark. To all of the posters who have seen it and have provided that info-thanks!

solidyne

I think maybe those of us who have not seen the new effect in person really can't pass judgement based on a video that does not reflect actual light levels, given how dark the "darkness" looks on video, when in person we all know it's not that dark. To all of the posters who have seen it and have provided that info-thanks!
OK, but the drapes/veils still look stupid/fake/cheap on video. Are they there to block light from streaming out the sides?

Last edited:
This has always been my favorite scene in the ride. However, the way they light up completely now doesn't make the changes stand out as well as they did. Anyway, I always thought they were bright enough with the old fixtures, but if they were too dark, couldn't they just adjust the brightness? This is the best video i could find of the new portraits. They look nice and all, but those drapes look ridiculous and i don't see what was wrong with the ropes that suspended them from the wall, but maybe they'll replace them and take down the drapes when they fine tune them. In this video in 2018 you can see they are pretty bright and you can notice the changes pretty well. Hopefully i can go in a few months and they will look better IRL, and maybe if god listens to my prayers those drapes will be gone and maybe if hes really nice those suspension ropes will come back

Last edited:
Also can anyone tell me how they actually did work when they added them in 2007? I have always wondered how it was achieved and when i was a young lad i actually thought there was something painted onto them that when the strobe lights from the windows flashed it reacted and lit up. this is obviously not the case since disney isn't that creative anymore, but nonetheless is there a piece of glass or something over the paintings that lights up? That doesn't look correct cause you can see details of the paintings pretty well, but i can't seem to get how else they could achieve that.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Also can anyone tell me how they actually did work when they added them in 2007? I have always wondered how it was achieved and when i was a young lad i actually thought there was something painted onto them that when the strobe lights from the windows flashed it reacted and lit up. this is obviously not the case since disney isn't that creative anymore, but nonetheless is there a piece of glass or something over the paintings that lights up? That doesn't look correct cause you can see details of the paintings pretty well, but i can't seem to get how else they could achieve that.
Close to what you want
https://hauntedmansion.fandom.com/wiki/Changing_Portraits

GlacierGlacier

A southern phrase is operative here: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
As someone who lives in the south, "broke" is a very loosely defined term. Zip tied together and could fall apart at any moment? Nope, not broke. Going to break in a year with current usage? Not broke.

Preventative maintenance and upgrades can prevent things from goin' broke in the future. Fix it before it can become broke.

JohnD

As someone who lives in the south, "broke" is a very loosely defined term. Zip tied together and could fall apart at any moment? Nope, not broke. Going to break in a year with current usage? Not broke.

Preventative maintenance and upgrades can prevent things from goin' broke in the future. Fix it before it can become broke.

I'm not against refurbishment. This isn't that. It's a redesign of the portrait effect.

Let's take the Bride. The current incarnation is not a refurbishment but is a projection of an actor saying ghoulish variations of her wedding vows. Before, it was an AA with a glowing heart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom