Hate Mission: Space! Want Horizons back!

Thrill Seeker

I miss Horizons, liked it better than Mission: SPACE, but it's gone now. Life goes on. Mission: SPACE is a good ride. One of the best at Epcot at this point...

Grumpy Old Fool

Original Poster
Wow. Didn't mean to serve any canned worms. Just thought folks might get a kick out of my silly little video. I don't even drink tequila.

yeti

I don't understand the M:S hate over Horizons. At all.

Was Horizons not in shambles when and around the time it closed? Which means putting the very modernized 2000s era Mission Space in, arguably the most innovative ride in Epcot, was a good thing? Right...?

Alexx

I havent been on horizons it was gone before my first trip, so I don't understand the big commotion over it but I enjoy M:S so i have three words ... get over it:lol::lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I havent been on horizons it was gone before my first trip, so I don't understand the big commotion over it but I enjoy M:S so i have three words ... get over it:lol::lookaroun
You would if you had, but you didn`t so you can`t.

:p

mcjaco

Different kind of worms...The ones in tequila will make you see Jim Morrison having a conversation with Santa..... these worm will just make you face palm a lot.

I tend to find my forehead hitting my keyboard.

I don't understand the M:S hate over Horizons. At all.

Was Horizons not in shambles when and around the time it closed? Which means putting the very modernized 2000s era Mission Space in, arguably the most innovative ride in Epcot, was a good thing? Right...?

Horizons was in desperate need of a refurb. It wasn't in shambles.

A centrifuge is innovative? Yeah, that back hall exit queue is Disney's finest theming to date. They sure do know how to paint fancy lines on a wall!

You would if you had, but you didn`t so you can`t.

:p

Amen! Again.

I'm just following Martin from thread to thread repeating "Amen!"

glee

Mission space is a good idea but its the one attraction i will never do again! It made me feel really sick.:hurl::cry:

Oddysey

I dont hate M:S, but I dont particularly like it. In fact, I very rarely take the time to ride it. Horizons was Epcot at its best, and I miss it. I often think of Disney building a Horizons 2.0, but after seeing what Disney's new offerings have included in recent years I think the scale would be much smaller and less impressive than the original. Horizons 2.0 would likely fall way short of fan expectations. I will always have good memories of the orginal, and any recreation would likely just make me miss the original more. Time to move on. Unfortunately!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I really don't hate Mission: Space in the slightest. In fact, I love that so many can't handle it because it always provides me with little to no wait times! :lol:

Though, as time goes by, Horizons is now officially my favorite attraction of all time with JII in a very close seconds. They were mostly tied for years in my eyes, but Mesa Verde Times has pushed Horizons over the edge for me. Man, I miss that attraction.

dweezil78

As many of you who have seen my prior posts know, I also miss Horizons a LOT. I frequently listen to the 90+ track soundtrack floating around the web, I watch the videos (Martin's UT in particular) , I buy whatever merch I can find, and I even make my own merch when something I want simply doesn't exist. :)

Horizons, and the original EPCOT Center in general, inspired me in ways that are apparent even today. (I work in a department called 'Innovations' for crying out loud!) And really, that was the goal of the park when it first opened. But when I look at the Epcot of today, I often ask myself if kids are being inspired in the same way I was.

Part of me wants to believe they are, but sadly, I don't know if that's the case -- because ultimately it seems there is a lack of a cohesive message in the park. In place of a story with purpose, there are short bursts of thrills scattered around the park and the rides that still do tell a story have been watered down so much that you don't even know what the story is anymore!

What was great about those original attractions were that they really took their time with the guests and ran long enough to where they made a lasting impression. A 3 minute thrill ride is forgotten about almost instantly, but a 15 minute experience with story, characters, and sensory overload is a hard thing to shake and really sticks with you.

Personally, I think (at least I hope) the upcoming Harry Potter attraction at IOA is really going to set the bar way high for this type of immersive, story-based experience. It's going to show that you can surround people with story AND deliver thrills at the same time -- and for more than 3 minutes based on the press releases. Maybe not a message of the future, but perhaps a framework for future EPCOT attractions to come. I can't wait!

misterID

Yeah, I don't think after 11 years people are suddenly going to get over it now. :lol:

That really does say something about the ride by the fervent fanbase it has. I can't think of another ride that has a following like it.

mickey2008.1

mission space does inspire. Space exploration is very exciting, especially with ISS now a days. All generations can relate to it as well. I also love the qeue, with the spinning lab and all the pictures paying tribute to past and present crews. Plus lwtl kind of has the feel of horizons with farming of the future. The ride itself is exhilarating! bettter than the barf rotor at carnivals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom