Hate Mission: Space! Want Horizons back!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I agree with the "star tours on steroids" thought for Mission:Space. The concepts for it were grand, but the execution and final product left much to be desired...but it's a representation of how Disney was doing things at the time...incredibly different than when EPCOT Center and Horizons was being designed.

It IS important to look back on Horizons and remember it, and hope that they can bring the magic feeling of it back in some form. This isn't to say they should rebuild it exactly as it was before, but to serve as a reminder to the current Imagineers what a TRUE, HIGH QUALITY, CLASSIC EPCOT Center attraction looked like.

I don't think people hate M:S becuase of what it is, as much as what it replaced.

misterID

I'd love to see what a new Horizons would be like. Still say they should make a pavillion with Horizons and Space Mountain 2 for EPCOT.

Captain Hank

One final thought, as it pertains to the Mission Space exit. At the end of the flight you're said to have safely landed on Mars. At no point, as far as I could tell, do they ever tell you it was just a simulation. But instead of walking out to a Mars themed exit, you're just in a sterile hallway?!? What gives???
During the first pre-show, the idea that it's a training mission is referenced and stated several times. During the second pre-show, it's not as explicitly stated, with the exception of referring to Guests as "Trainees." The in-capsule experience is the training mission itself, which is treated as if it were a real mission. If you listen, the last thing the CapCom says at the end of the mission is "Welcome to the astronaut corps." This implies that the Guests' training is finished and they're ready for real space missions, though it's lost on most Guests. Unfortunately, the CapCom also says "Welcome to Mars!" which can cause quite a bit of confusion. The Guests never "left" the ISTC, they were only on a simulated training mission.

I will agree that the exit corridor really needs some theming love. I'd love to see some ISTC recruiting posters (We want YOU to join the astronaut corps!) or something like that. Also, if you look carefully in the mission control area, there is a map of the ISTC in one corner that shows a bunch of non-existant facilities that "should" be accessible off of the exit corridor, such as a pool and X-2 maintenance hangers, that really should be referenced in the corridor itself.

Finally, there are a few other very subtle ways that the training story is communicated. In theory, there are three different ways that Guests are referred to by CMs. From the launch ticket distribution area through the merge point, they're "Recruits." After they enter the "Training Operations" area next to mission control, they're "Trainees" and continue to be referred to as such through the end of the training mission. Afterwards, until they exit the building, they're "Cadets," meaning that they've completed their training and are now in the astronaut corps. Unfortunately, most Guests don't notice this when it's happening, and many CMs simply refer to Guests as "Trainees" throughout the entire attraction.

Courtney1188

With that argument, Peter Pan, IASW, Snow White, Mad Hatter, Jungle Cruise, etc, etc, etc, should be torn out too.

It holds no water.

That isn't what I said at all...I said that if they do tear down one of these attractions, it makes little sense to spend tons of money rebuilding it exactly as it was, 11 years later.

misterID

I think if Horizons was still here, or was rebuilt it would be updated or totally refurbed. It was actually going to get a huge refurb...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I always thought that Spaceship earth should tell all 3 stories communication, motion and a horizons ending with the story of civilizations and how they evolved which was never at epcot all in one. Show a story on how the whole earth was formed and show how all life forms evolved and start with the dinosaurs. I guess then it would be a 30 minute snooze fest for that to happen.

SMRT-1

I always thought that Spaceship earth should tell all 3 stories communication, motion and a horizons ending with the story of civilizations and how they evolved which was never at epcot all in one. Show a story on how the whole earth was formed and show how all life forms evolved and start with the dinosaurs. I guess then it would be a 30 minute snooze fest for that to happen.

huh? :shrug:

Hrudey3032

Sounds a little like Universe of Energy :shrug:

maggiegrace1

YES, YES, YES!
:D
Maggiegrace1, you speak words of great wisdom.
I know!...;)

Only cause your
chicken.jpg
:lol:

No..I rode Mission Space..DUMB!...STUPID!..POINTLESS!

Does not even compare to the greatness of Horizons in my opinion...:shrug:

Oh and I know things change..and I am fine with that..but if I could have it the way I wanted..I would bring those back..:shrug:
I agree but we will never please every body :cry:
;)
As long as I am pleased that is all that matters..;)

:lol:
Your post is by far is my favorite of this thread and I could not have said it any better. Horizons & WOM where without a doubt the best Disney rides in history and the epitome of what a dark ride/omni mover style attraction should be.
Thank you!

I loved them!

Courtney1188

I do not like Mission: Space... and one of my main reasons...

WHYYY do they take you to MARS, but NOT bring you BACK??!!

Because it's a TRAINING session. We clearly call all guests 'trainees' any time you interact with CMs while standing in line. It is supposed to be a flight simulator to train you for your first mission...

So that is not really a reason.

LoriMistress

:confused:

The only change they've ever made to M:S is adding the less intense version.

They've actually toned down the "orange" version quite a bit because there were complaints from guests that would get sick on the ride. Believe me, I can tell the difference when the attraction first opened, to presently. Yes, they did add a softer version of the ride, but they still changed the original version because of people getting sick and a few deaths that has occurred.

misterID

Yes, they did add a softer version of the ride, but they still changed the original version because of people getting sick and a few deaths that has occurred.

Yeah, what a bunch of inconsiderate jerks! Toning down the ride, just because people get sick and a few happened to die. Pffft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom