News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

zipadee999

I’ve always thought the best non-attic option would’ve been to put him on the little Leota platform above the track just before unload and then added him to the hitchhiking ghost roulette as an ultra-rare option. Then they could’ve just given little Leota a small room on the exit path like there is in Paris.

Impractical I know but I think it would’ve been less controversial.

JediMasterMatt

Those two photos were not shot under similar conditions. The DL photo was a press photo taken by Disney on a tripod after-hours while the attraction was down and show lighting could be altered for optimal documentation. The WDW photo was taken by a guest from a moving Doombuggy this morning while the attraction was operating. I don't say that to diss the WDW photo at all, they're just not the same kind of picture.

People are reading way too much into how the lighting looks on camera - lighting registers differently in different cameras, lenses, settings, and circumstances. The small smattering of pictures taken this morning alone shows how widely the results can vary from device to device.

Reports say it looks good in person and isn't too bright. Given how finely calibrated the light needs to be for this effect to work, I would say it's fair to trust that.
Also, no post processing done on the pictures so far as you can do a ton of heavy lifting once you have the raw file to play with. I don't have many pictures of mine with me at the office; but, did have this one of DL's HBG from Haunted Mansion Holiday to give an example of how far you can push the raw data and how a digital image as captured can vary so much. This was with my D800e at ISO 1600 captured, which was that camera's sweet spot for dynamic range. It was where that camera's sensor stopped applying gain via analog current and started using digital post processing to boost ISO. If you are shooting raw and plan on taking it thorough post processing, it's always best to stay below the point of sacrificing real data. My D850 stays at ISO 400 and can pull out even more detail than this.

I'm sure MK's Hattie looks ok to the naked eye. I can't tell from the pics or videos so far if they kept the transparent effect to him like DL. On DL, you can see through him to the graveyard. It's easier to see during HMH where the lights are on down there (like in the photo).

I don't like where he's placed in this version; but, I'm glad they added him and look forward to seeing him in a few weeks. I can't be mad when they actually plus an attraction in Florida since it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.
dl_hmh_hbg_2016.jpg

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Why? Because of an emergency exit? Give us some substance and stop pretending to be an insider that signed an NDA.
I don't claim to be an insider. I have known a lot about this specific project and have shared a good amount about it online before anybody else. My posting history speaks for itself if you'd like to check it, there's plenty in this thread alone.

I've said many times now that I would share more about the circumstances if I could, but I promise that this sort of attitude you're taking isn't gonna be what moves that needle. Once again, sorry if what I've shared isn't good enough for you.

If it helps, he didn't go in the Attic at either DL or WDW because Constance and her portraits require too much light in order for them to work properly. The HBG requires a tightly controlled lighting environment. Ironically, too much ambient light in the Attic is what got him booted the first time.

Were it up to me the new HBG would have gone in his original spot inside the Attic at DL, and Constance would have been kicked out in favor of a new, darker Bride figure. But even then WDW would most likely have had to be a different story.

Lirael

You'd think given how long it took to install it, they'd at least reflect on placement But nope, they ruined the ride flow (eerie and moody with ghosts not outright seen until leota, giving credence to the story that her magic words are what makes you start seeing into that world clearly). And all because of a movie that flopped.

This is once again them being more worried about tieins than actual cohesion and story. Even though so far this approach keeps failing

yensidtlaw1969

You'd think given how long it took to install it, they'd at least reflect on placement But nope, they ruined the ride flow (eerie and moody with ghosts not outright seen until leota, giving credence to the story that her magic words are what makes you start seeing into that world clearly). And all because of a movie that flopped.

This is once again them being more worried about tieins than actual cohesion and story. Even though so far this approach keeps failing
This has nothing to do with the movie. He's been in real talks to come to WDW ever since his successful reveal in 2015 at DL. At one point he was nearly a 50th Anniversary present for WDW, in which case he would have debuted before the new movie even started filming.

Notice how the figure resembles both the 1969 and 2015 DL originals far more than he does the redesigned version from the movie. It isn't a tie in.

Scuttle

And Iger just claimed how committed to storytelling they are…

celluloid

This has nothing to do with the movie. He's been in real talks to come to WDW ever since his successful reveal in 2015 at DL. At one point he was nearly a 50th Anniversary present for WDW, in which case he would have debuted before the new movie even started filming.

Notice how the figure resembles both the 1969 and 2015 DL originals far more than he does the redesigned version from the movie. It isn't a tie in.

Does not have to be identical to be a tie in.

Let's keep it simple.

There has only ever been two Haunted Mansion Feature films. One in 2003 and one twenty years later.
Since del torro The Hatbox Ghost was going to be a prominent character. Hands were in one easy synergy that ever since.

This hat is comes in specifically to the same year as this movie was released.

If does not have to be Jared Leto for its reasoning for being greenlit being the movie.

It def has just as much resemblance to the cheek one structure and less uneven brow that the Crump and Gracey version has. It's a different tone and style.

DL's project was underway early 2011 when del torro was in the company to do the original version of the script where Hat is started as the main character.

Hatbox was always a fun fandom trivia and hope, but you are mistaken if you think the sudden urge to design him in 2011, install in 2015 and be ready in WDW the same year for when the movie finally became a reality.

Last edited:

JustInTime

I believe he was actually part of the original marketing plans for the 50th anniversary, right? 50 enhancements and this was planned to be one. COVID caused that idea to be scrapped and for improvements to be scrapped or delayed.

celluloid

An ultimate poster for "less is more."

Should have put him in an exit hallway. A stack of hatboxes everywhere and the head appears and disappears in multiple a sa sequence before returning.

At least then it would not have clashed the ride.

This makes my favorite (Tokyo HM based on upkeep and new practical effects) a larger gap ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom