News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

lazyboy97o

It was clearly a cost issue in my opinion. How could a static AA not be able to be shoehorned into the attic? They couldn’t have added a support for him to stand on? It just seems like a cover for TDO’s netoriously cheap ways. But I’ll take your guy’s word on it. I’ve been out of the Disney game for a while.
Something you don’t know is clear? The issue wasn’t structural to the actual structure of the facility.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
He's not a static AA - and it's not about support.

Placing him in the Endless Hallway was not a result of being notoriously cheap (something I'm willing to admit WDW management often is). Putting him in his DL location would truly have been wildly impractical, and not for reasons you'd expect.
My guess from that is that the Attic is too small, and if they put him there he could hit people, or they could touch him? (going off this and the other comment about the iasw incident)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those two photos were not shot under similar conditions. The DL photo was a press photo taken by Disney on a tripod after-hours while the attraction was down and show lighting could be altered for optimal documentation. The WDW photo was taken by a guest from a moving Doombuggy this morning while the attraction was operating. I don't say that to diss the WDW photo at all, they're just not the same kind of picture.

People are reading way too much into how the lighting looks on camera - lighting registers differently in different cameras, lenses, settings, and circumstances. The small smattering of pictures taken this morning alone shows how widely the results can vary from device to device.

Reports say it looks good in person and isn't too bright. Given how finely calibrated the light needs to be for this effect to work, I would say it's fair to trust that.
Yep!

Scuttle

My guess from that is that it is too small, and if they put him there it could hit people, or they could touch it? (going off this and the other comment about the iasw incident)
Makes it sound like they only had one place to put him? Or only looked at one option because others were too costly.

UNCgolf

The AA looks great... but I wish it wasn't there. I love the Endless Hallway scene and the placement seems like it really distracts/detracts from it.

I understand this was the only location they could make work, but I'd honestly prefer to just not have the figure than have it where it is.

Hopefully I'll feel differently when I see it in person, though.

VicariousCorpse

I think what bothers me the most is the distance he is compared to Disneyland. At Disneyland he is really up close. They wanted to drove home that they accomplished what the original 69 figure couldn't and was daring you to figure out how it was done. Now, he is 5 feet further from the buggies than even the concept art showed. In the concept art, he was in front of the door with the lighting casting a silhouette behind him. Now he is much further back standing in the corner directly in the light.

FigmentFan82

kinda love how they gave him an outside door entryway which bathes him in the cool blue light of the moon outside. i'm seeing seeing in person will be even better!

lazyboy97o

Makes it sound like they only had one place to put him? Or only looked at one option because others were too costly.
This is a complete contradiction. The figure is in a different location than its historical and contemporary placement at Disneyland which means they had to look at multiple locations. They didn’t draw a scene out of a hat.

yensidtlaw1969

A number of options were looked at for placing The Hatbox Ghost in the ride - both at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The decisions were not made lightly.

The location that was ultimately picked for Disneyland was infrastructurally (not structurally) impractical for Walt Disney World. The two ride buildings are not similar in all ways. I wish I could say more about it, because it actually is fascinating. But putting it out there plainly would cause problems.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
I wish I could say more about it, because it actually is fascinating. But putting it out there plainly would cause problems.
Is it possible to message it to me? I PROMISE I won't share it with anyone (I'm very good at keeping secrets) and I am very likely never going to get to visit WDW again (major financial struggles in my family), so it's not like I could do anything with the knowledge. If not, though, I totally understand.

JohnD

Those two photos were not shot under similar conditions. The DL photo was a press photo taken by Disney on a tripod after-hours while the attraction was down and show lighting could be altered for optimal documentation. The WDW photo was taken by a guest from a moving Doombuggy this morning while the attraction was operating. I don't say that to diss the WDW photo at all, they're just not the same kind of picture.

People are reading way too much into how the lighting looks on camera - lighting registers differently in different cameras, lenses, settings, and circumstances. The small smattering of pictures taken this morning alone shows how widely the results can vary from device to device.

Reports say it looks good in person and isn't too bright. Given how finely calibrated the light needs to be for this effect to work, I would say it's fair to trust that.
I hope that is the case. I'm seeing it in person in several weeks.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I disagree. Adding another AA to HM is a very welcome move. And this one is very well done IMO.
To each their own 🤷‍♂️ HM was fine for decades without this AA, so it really adds nothing of substance; other than like I said a cute little bone for the superfans.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Yeah, how dare us simpletons like something you I guess don’t.
Looks like the artichoke is steamed.

I guess I need to go back to the Pixie Dust dispensary and refresh my supply so I can get high with you all. Is that how it works? I don't like it. Big deal. Some of y'all hate Beacons of Light, I think it's the best thing at Epcot in decades.

I'm sure Bob will thank y'all kindly when y'all run out and grab up the latest cheaply produced HBG merch.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

I understand that this is a cut concept and I'm sure the obsessive Haunted Mansion fans are super interested in it...but all the build up, the potential ruining of the atmosphere of an established scene, the inexplicable movie (and apparently comics) focus...for this.

It's just really surreal. The figure is a neat idea, but the amount of focus over this thing for reasons completely unrelated to what it actually is is just weird.

TheMaxRebo

Disney released some high res photos - looks super great here without the bright lighting
20231130_113810.jpg

20231130_113817.jpg
20231130_114029.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom