News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

VicariousCorpse

How about those "footprints"...

Apparently he came in through the door with his cane, hatbox, and cart of hatboxes with muddy footprints, walked over and put the hatboxes down leaving a trail, then walked back to the open door to pose in front of the still open door? I thought they were a mistake left by last minute tinkering until @yensidtlaw1969 pointed out it was intentional here:

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Those aren't diamonds... :cautious:
Kidney stones?

Apparently he came in through the door with his cane, hatbox, and cart of hatboxes with muddy footprints, walked over and put the hatboxes down leaving a trail of footprints, then walked back to the open door to pose in front of the still open door? I thought they were a mistake left by last minute tinkering until @yensidtlaw1969 pointed out it was intentional here:
I thought they were a carry over from the Escher stairs scene. This narrative is even worse. And boy does it look bad!

JohnD

Apparently he came in through the door with his cane, hatbox, and cart of hatboxes with muddy footprints, walked over and put the hatboxes down leaving a trail, then walked back to the open door to pose in front of the still open door? I thought they were a mistake left by last minute tinkering until @yensidtlaw1969 pointed out it was intentional here:
They also make it clear he isn't one of the 999 happy haunts as all 999 "are in high spirits, celebrating his arrival".

Bocabear

Maybe they should revisit the endless hallway and tone the lighting to more closely match what is going on in the outer scene... The chandeliers once had red globes, then they were all removed... Maybe a change in lighting and tone would allow the floating candelabra to be more noticeable, and marry the new front half of the scene with the hallway. In the movie, the hallway tone was much darker...

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Yeah, although most of them are not able to post publicly anymore for various reasons.

I’ve noticed a huge downtick in postings as well. I’m assuming some caught up in various layoffs or their sources were, while others don’t want to post as Disney is now more heavily monitoring leaked information?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
We walked into Mansion this AM before leaving but by 9:30ish the wait was 30+ minutes. They had the extended queue ready to go with more switchbacks than I’ve ever seen for Mansion so at least they’re ready.

I’ll be honest - I get why people don’t like it but I thought it was a good addition. It isn’t where I would have put him but it doesn’t ruin the scene for me in anyway (I would have taken the grave digger out and put him there). The only major critique I have is the wallpaper behind him seems very forced and I wouldn’t have done the eye wallpaper there.

TrainsOfDisney

He really belongs in the attic - neither have him where he really belongs.

I’m guessing there is an access point in WDW that doesn’t exist in Disneyland - why that’s a secret I have no idea. But honestly the placement in Disneyland is not great either and makes him look like an after thought.

I’ll give Florida a chance in person before making a final judgement over which I’d better or worse

JohnD

The only major critique I have is the wallpaper behind him seems very forced and I wouldn’t have done the eye wallpaper there.
Looking at the photos, I get that impression also. It looks like one of those temporary setup backgrounds you see at any convention exhibit that he's standing in front of, as if it could be disassembled and the endless hallway wallpaper would be behind it on the wall.

Magenta Panther

Maybe they should revisit the endless hallway and tone the lighting to more closely match what is going on in the outer scene... The chandeliers once had red globes, then they were all removed... Maybe a change in lighting and tone would allow the floating candelabra to be more noticeable, and marry the new front half of the scene with the hallway. In the movie, the hallway tone was much darker...
Am I mistaken, but did the candelabra used to actually move at one time? Not just float, but move?

In the Parks
No
Looking at the photos, I get that impression also. It looks like one of those temporary setup backgrounds you see at any convention exhibit that he's standing in front of, as if it could be disassembled and the endless hallway wallpaper would be behind it on the wall.
Maybe they didn't have time to put the right wallpaper up because they were so rushed in the installation process. ;)

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Well, of course Hattie's placement is just awful, as it does disturb the Mansion's narrative. But then, today's Imagineers have no respect for that anyway. The Mansion was designed so that, when guests enter it, they pause in the foyer, watch the portrait change, and listen to the voiceover, which sets up the Mansion's storyline. But today, the guests are rushed through the foyer like cattle and packed into the stretching room like sardines. (End of animal analogies, I promise). Gotta get as many bodies through the Mansion as possible! That's all that matters!

Pathetic.

_caleb

I get why some might be disappointed with the placement (for story purposes), but I don't understand the negativity about the lighting or presentation. To me, it's pretty clear that they've made HBG's corner an extremely dark corner at the near end of the hallway. The blue lighting is because it's meant to be moonlight rather than the warm light of candles and old-fashioned lamps in other parts of the house (like the hallway).

Haunted-Mansion_Full_54195.jpg

And his size? Seems from photos like he's set fairly close to the DoomBuggies, so I'm thinking they might be going for a bit of forced perspective (as the hallway uses it as well). If he were much larger, he'd appear even closer and also make the hallway look smaller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom